Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to drive - Authentication required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This messages started showing up for me just tonight. i tested out the “Pin to Drive” mode. Didn’t like it and turned it off. After that the system stopped autopresenting driver handles when I walk up and it also has the same error. It’s a software problem.

AB6C6F1C-75E2-43A4-B978-C668C6342C89.jpeg

heres a screenshot of my panel. If I get a resolution I’ll post. there is a software update and I have an unresponsive starboard passenger door handle so I’ll be sending it to the shop next week. If they have an answer I’ll post it.

Thanks DCEV for posting this. I have a 2016 MX and finally needed front brakes replaced after 64K. When I went to complete the touches pickup, I had the dreaded, "Unable to drive - Authentication required" displayed. I went into the SC and the tech said just double click your fob and you will be good to go, and sure enough that worked. However, I kept getting the alert every time I entered the vehicle. My settings had passive entry disabled by the SC. Enabled it and corrected the issue! Seems like others thought it may be due to an update, but mine was definitely SC that disabled it.

Cheers!

Reactions: staran
Mystery solved.

It was "Passive Entry" somehow being turned off in the car. I have no idea how this got turned off, as it's not easy to access the setting. You actually need to have the car in Park and press the brake pedal to toggle this setting so this is why it wasn't obvious. The option to auto present door handles was already selected but is overridden by the "Passive Entry" setting.

The thing is I don't remember ever toggling this setting so I wonder how this happened. Could it have been a software update?

This has got to be the most confusing error message in the Tesla software though. Rather than...

Unable to drive - Authentication required​
Press keyfob or unlock with Mobile App​

It should say...

"Passive Entry" convenience features disabled.​
Press keyfob or unlock with Mobile App to start car or enable "Passive Entry"​

For more details of the side effects of "Passive Entry" being disabled, accidental or not:
Do Not Disable Passive Entry!

On the plus side my keyfob now has brand new batteries and anyone else having this issue will know what to do when this thread is indexed by Google.
I had same problem with my 2014 Model S. My driver's outside door latch quit functioning three weeks ago (would present, but not allow pulling open from outside), and to save the door latch motors from future unnecessary activity, I turned off the auto-present, but not the passive entry, while waiting for the arrival of the suggested replacement door handle unit. Then yesterday the door latch miraculously began functioning normally. But when I entered the car today I got the above instructions. Having never used the key fob for anything and thus not memorizing its functions, "press the keyfob" was puzzling, though now I assume it referred to the double click of its "roof" for "unlock." The lock icon on my phone app was unlocked, so I locked and unlocked it again, and the car let me drive. After that trip, I found the above useful advice, and indeed pressing the brake was necessary to even see that "passive entry" could be turned on in the Safety and Security area. I clicked off the auto-present again in hopes of saving wear and tear on the other three door handle motors (they open when I get near the car in the garage even when I have no plans to drive). So far, so good. I will see if my car alarm goes off tomorrow when I try to enter the car. I wonder if that door handle needs to be replaced at all?

Mystery solved.

It was "Passive Entry" somehow being turned off in the car. I have no idea how this got turned off, as it's not easy to access the setting. You actually need to have the car in Park and press the brake pedal to toggle this setting so this is why it wasn't obvious. The option to auto present door handles was already selected but is overridden by the "Passive Entry" setting.

The thing is I don't remember ever toggling this setting so I wonder how this happened. Could it have been a software update?

This has got to be the most confusing error message in the Tesla software though. Rather than...

It should say...

For more details of the side effects of "Passive Entry" being disabled, accidental or not:

On the plus side my keyfob now has brand new batteries and anyone else having this issue will know what to do when this thread is indexed by Google.
Thanks for posting the solution. I encountered the same issue after picking up my car from SC for emmc recall service. Basically, SC erased everything. Tried everything and nothing worked until I saw your post. Thank you, thank you.

Reactions: tesluv108
What makes you think that? Google this error and you see only one single hit so it seems like a strange error condition.

What I'm worries is that with it not detecting the keyfob properly, the error comes up when I try to drive the car. If you then unlock the car with the keyfob and immediately press the brake pedal, the car turns on.

While I investigate the cause and a solution, if someone else sees this error, you can start the car by unlocking the car with the keyfob buttons and immediately pressing the brake pedal.
I can confirm this is an Emmc issue. I never received this error until Tesla did the recall repair this week. No the car doesn’t want to drive nor does it want to auto present handles. Sigh

Mystery solved.

It should say...

Umm passive entry is greyed out on my screen. Even when i press the brake down I can’t get it to light up and toggle. As I said I had the recall emmc work done this week and now the car is acting up

Had same issue after taking it for service. Puzzled until I found this thread. SC must have turned off passive entry - I did an after hours pickup so maybe that was why. They probably should tell us when they flip these switches though. I almost set up another SC visit (since it is seemingly impossible to get a Tesla service person to speak to us by phone to address these kinds of things) - would have been a waste of time and $ for all.

Mystery solved.

It should say...

Just bought a used P100D and this saved the day....

Just got my 2018 MS 100D back from the Service Center after the four year maintenance session. They messaged me to say: "We are piloting a keyless service and do not need your key."

When I picked it up, I used the app to open the door. Trying to start I got the "Authentication Required" which I assumed was needed because of the keyless service 'feature'.

When "Authentication Required" continued, I decided it was a fob battery issue and changed both fobs. Still getting the message...

Finally, I got smart and checked TMC. Thank you all for documenting what Tesla does not!

I got this error after getting my car back from Tesla Service. They left my key in the glove compartment and I used my iPhone to unlock the car. So far, so good. But it was in this mode. I eventually found this thread and figured out how to set passive entry. My handles auto present again and I don't get the authentication needed error anymore.

I got the same issue with 2013 tesla s 85 performance car.
I open the door by doing jumper cable for the car and door handle extend out . But i cant drive the car and cant shift to drive ,

Called tesla they said need to tow the car to them for sevice.

I got the same issue with 2013 tesla s 85 performance car.
I open the door by doing jumper cable for the car and door handle extend out . But i cant drive the car and cant shift to drive ,

Called tesla they said need to tow the car to them for sevice.

I've never had this issue because and I've never seen this error until now and none of the settings were changed.

I just double checked and Auto Present Handles is selected and this does not work. Even when I manually press the door handles, they do not extend and I need to double press the fob to present the handles.

Also while going over the settings in the car, I see a "Key not inside vehicle" message so it seems there is some communication/authentication issue between the car and the keyfob. As soon as I find my spare batteries I'll replace the batteries and see if the issue persists.

View attachment 476997 View attachment 476998
Hi,it seems like a have the same problem.
Did you find any fix for the issue?