Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to get Model Y Rear Wheel Drive Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can we get insurance for rear wheel drive model Y? I have got the registration but when I put it through any website, it just says can't recognise the vehicle. I called Admiral, and the chap on the phone kept asking me is it a performance rear wheel drive or is it a long range, which I kept telling him it's rear wheel drive only. He acted like I was lying to him, so I said go check on tesla's website yourself, upon seeing that, he then said, sorry we don't insure this car :) Wasted 30 minutes trying to tell an insurance company they don't have a new model in their database, and got offered zero solution...

Missed the cross posting so replied in a different thread

We had similar thing when Model 3 was first introduced into UK. Most insurers only had LHD version so obtained a series of quotes on that and when it came to confirming spec/reg etc, a call to the insurer to get things firmed up and correct spec. It changed the price a little, but gave some indicative pricing. to give an idea of what quotes were worth pursuing.

Missed the cross posting so replied in a different thread
I’ve tried to call a number of insurers including Tesla’s nominated one, but they basically said if the car isn’t in the option, they can’t insure it. I already have registration number, but that doesn’t return any result anyway… I suppose we can only wait. But I’m just thinking, surely there are people who’s collecting before me, how do they sort out their insurance?

I’ve tried to call a number of insurers including Tesla’s nominated one, but they basically said if the car isn’t in the option, they can’t insure it. I already have registration number, but that doesn’t return any result anyway… I suppose we can only wait. But I’m just thinking, surely there are people who’s collecting before me, how do they sort out their insurance?
This happens with Tesla and some other cars too. I had the same problem with my Model 3 even though there were loads of model 3 before me. You just have to wait till Tesla register the car with dvla - they do that only on the morning of delivery day - even if you have registration number. Then you can buy the insurance. What most of us did was secured the insurance with insurance company without giving the registration number and get the price sorted out - then on delivery day pay the money and seal the deal. You have to phone the insurance company for this to work.

Last edited:
This happens with Tesla and some other cars too. I had the same problem with my Model 3 even though there were loads of model 3 before me. You just have to wait till Tesla register the car with dvla - they do that only on the morning of delivery day - even if you have registration number. Then you can buy the insurance. What most of us did was secured the insurance with insurance company without giving the registration number and get the price sorted out - then on delivery day pay the money and seal the deal. You have to phone the insurance company for this to work.
But if I select the car manually, there isn’t a model y rwd to select in the option, so do you mean I choose a different trim, then call them on delivery day to get it rectified?

But if I select the car manually, there isn’t a model y rwd to select in the option, so do you mean I choose a different trim, then call them on delivery day to get it rectified?
No, call them and do a quote - explain it is a RWD and if they do not have the option they can do a quote for a LR and you do not have to pay. Once it is officially registered by Tesla it will appear on their list and then seal the deal. If you do that on the day the price will be higher compared to doing 3 weeks in advance. Or cover with a temporary insurance for 4 weeks from the day of delivery and then find your vehicle in the dvla list buy the insurance 4 weeks in advance but the downside is you may pay around 200 extra for the temporary insurance for the first 4weeks. It is a roundabout way of getting around the insurance hiccup.

Last edited:
Reactions: subaruspirit
No, call them and do a quote - explain it is a RWD and if they do not have the option they can do a quote for a LR and you do not have to pay. Once it is officially registered by Tesla it will appear on their list and then seal the deal. If you do that on the day the price will be higher compared to doing 3 weeks in advance. Or cover with a temporary insurance for 4 weeks from the day of delivery and then find your vehicle in the dvla list buy the insurance 4 weeks in advance but the downside is you may pay around 200 extra for the temporary insurance for the first 4weeks. It is a roundabout way of getting around the insurance hiccup.
Doesn’t work that way unfortunately, called several already, and they refuse to give a quote because the vehicle isn’t in their system (I suggested they can quote me on a lr, but they said no because that will not be my car). I mean I can do a quote for lr myself online, doesn’t need to call them right?

Doesn’t work that way unfortunately, called several already, and they refuse to give a quote because the vehicle isn’t in their system (I suggested they can quote me on a lr, but they said no because that will not be my car). I mean I can do a quote for lr myself online, doesn’t need to call them right?
Admiral and privilege do that without registration number and model info - over the phone. Not sure doing it online and then changing - good to speak to them and add a note saying that your model is not there and will appear once it is registered by Tesla - what exactly I did. TBH some of them do not really want to do that extra work - just ask to speak to their manager or cut the call and speak to another person in the same company they will find a way to do this. Again allocate sometime to sort this out as these things can get on the nerves.

Last edited:
Reactions: subaruspirit
Admiral and privilege do that without registration number and model info - over the phone. Not sure doing it online and then changing - good to speak to them and add a note saying that your model is not there and will appear once it is registered by Tesla - what exactly I did. TBH some of them do not really want to do that extra work - just ask to speak to their manager or cut the call and speak to another person in the same company they will find a way to do this. Again allocate sometime to sort this out as these things can get on the nerves.
Thanks, it really is quite annoying especially the person over the phone is clueless. I’ve tried admiral first already, but will take your advice to try a few more times

Reactions: spdpsba
Just joined the forum. My Model Y RWD is due to be delivered next Monday and I'm having huge issues trying to get an insurance quotes. I can get reasonable quotes for the Y LR and even the Performance isn't too bad - sub £1000, but I get nothing to RWD. Starting to panic a bit. Has anyone managed to secure a quote. I'm starting to get a horrible feeling that I may need to push my delivery back.

Just joined the forum. My Model Y RWD is due to be delivered next Monday and I'm having huge issues trying to get an insurance quotes. I can get reasonable quotes for the Y LR and even the Performance isn't too bad - sub £1000, but I get nothing to RWD. Starting to panic a bit. Has anyone managed to secure a quote. I'm starting to get a horrible feeling that I may need to push my delivery back.
Check my previous post. I’ve copied it here:

They added rwd option today on comparison sites, but may not return any results yet, so you (and I) just have to wait… I tried to call them but that was getting nowhere. I think in next couple of days, rwd quotes will be available, so you can get a ref number and then pay it on your delivery date (because they won’t register your car until the delivery date)

Just want to give an update on the insurance. The comparison sites can generate quote rwd now, and I’ve managed to get a sub 900 quote so I went for it. When it directed me to the insurer’s site, it also allows me to put my registration number in even though it’s not yet officially registered by Tesla (they will only do it on collection day)

Just want to give an update on the insurance. The comparison sites can generate quote rwd now, and I’ve managed to get a sub 900 quote so I went for it. When it directed me to the insurer’s site, it also allows me to put my registration number in even though it’s not yet officially registered by Tesla (they will only do it on collection day)
I am having the exact same issues as some of you on this thread, also collecting my Model Y RWD on Monday Nov 21. Many thanks for letting us know that the comparison sites now seem to return results for this type of Model Y (as late as Tuesday 15th they did not). I guess we will try again later this morning

Reactions: drewpost