Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to get Model Y Rear Wheel Drive Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just want to give an update on the insurance. The comparison sites can generate quote rwd now, and I’ve managed to get a sub 900 quote so I went for it. When it directed me to the insurer’s site, it also allows me to put my registration number in even though it’s not yet officially registered by Tesla (they will only do it on collection day)
I am getting an exorbitant quote for 3000£ !!! My previous car was Discovery Sport and I used to pay £400 odd. The only options I have are Admiral. By the way, technically Admiral does not have the RWD listed, they just made the model variant optional.

I was speaking to Tesla support yesterday- the agent recognized it was an issue and put me on hold for about 15 minutes before asking me to disconnect as she would be calling me back with an update. I am still awaiting the update :(

I am getting an exorbitant quote for 3000£ !!! My previous car was Discovery Sport and I used to pay £400 odd. The only options I have are Admiral. By the way, technically Admiral does not have the RWD listed, they just made the model variant optional.

I was speaking to Tesla support yesterday- the agent recognized it was an issue and put me on hold for about 15 minutes before asking me to disconnect as she would be calling me back with an update. I am still awaiting the update :(
So strange - did you call Admiral? speaking to them to update my details to the Model Y RWD they had said that there were a few callers requesting this varient. Was a nightmare last week as they said it would take a few days for the pricing team to look into it, but appeared on site within a few.
Calling them would be better to explain your situation. I paid just under £800.

They are not listed on Admiral’s website but are available on comparison sites. I could also see a couple other insurers such as Elephant, etc. I didn’t call anyone as it’s straight-forward doing it in comparison sites.
I clicked the button which directed me to the insurers website, then I can update my registration number which allows me to pay for the insurance, and then everything is done.
Maybe try a different comparison site? I used compare the market and money supermarket

They are not listed on Admiral’s website but are available on comparison sites. I could also see a couple other insurers such as Elephant, etc. I didn’t call anyone as it’s straight-forward doing it in comparison sites.
I clicked the button which directed me to the insurers website, then I can update my registration number which allows me to pay for the insurance, and then everything is done.
Maybe try a different comparison site? I used compare the market and money supermarket
But can you insure against the Reg? The reg hasn't been registered by Tesla until pickup...from what i understood?
Ignore me if I'm wrong.

But can you insure against the Reg? The reg hasn't been registered by Tesla until pickup...from what i understood?
Ignore me if I'm wrong.
Yes the registration number will only be registered by Tesla on collection day, but when I updated the registration number on Admiral’s site, it allowed me to do it and on the documentation, it also shows the registration number that I put in. So I assume it’s all good?

I called admiral and they quoted me £1680 which I find rediculous, I tried a go compare quote with the mustang Mach-e Rwd extended range which came in at £745. Given the nonsense about the USS and superchargers opening up to everyone else I’m struggling to see much advantage to the Tesla

I called admiral and they quoted me £1680 which I find rediculous, I tried a go compare quote with the mustang Mach-e Rwd extended range which came in at £745. Given the nonsense about the USS and superchargers opening up to everyone else I’m struggling to see much advantage to the Tesla
More or less the same for me (similar profile in terms of NCB and age). TBH I think the insurers are being over smart here. By the way, I was checking the quotes for LR AWD a week or so ago and I got something in the range of 650-700. I checked it now it's 1700!! I just want to give up!

I got an Admiral policy a few days back when RWD wasn't showing, I chose N/A and just called them to switch to RWD. Price remained the same.

About £1k for 15k miles, 5+ years driving, under 30, 5+ NCB, fully loaded insurance.

More or less the same for me (similar profile in terms of NCB and age). TBH I think the insurers are being over smart here. By the way, I was checking the quotes for LR AWD a week or so ago and I got something in the range of 650-700. I checked it now it's 1700!! I just want to give up!
That sounds like they are just jacking up the price as there aren't many providers atm. Must be very frustrating for you! Maybe try to lower the car's value and increase the excess a little bit to see if this could change? Sometimes adding a second driver helps massively as well.