Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to see AutoPark feature for parking lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just activated my EAP trial, and I've been wanting to test the Autopark feature. I thought it worked with parallel and perpendicular parking. I drove around a parking lot, and made sure I was going less than 10mph, but never saw the gray P symbol to indicate a prospective AutoPark scenario. Any thoughts, and anyone here actually try this feature out yet?

I don't always see the gray P for a prospective spot. Drive under 5 MPH past an open parallel or perpendicular spot. Stop after you pass the opening next to the second car. Shift into Reverse and you should see the blue Auto Park symbol on the screen. Press it and off you'll go. With v9 it works much better. Be prepared to get uncomfortably close on backup leg of three point turn for a perpendicular spot. I've learned to trust it :)

Watch Tesla Model 3’s new Autopark feature at work

I've never seen this show up in a parking lot (even at very low speeds). I've seen the P show up in other places though, often when @ stop lights and there are lanes to my right or left with gaps between cars - gaps that my car could DEFINITELY not fit into. Doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence of using the feature for actual parallel parking situations.

Reactions: selfbp and SDKoala
You may be too far from the parked cars.Try crawling along closer to the parked car side. Also drive a bit further past the opening than you're accustomed to. The lateral camera needs a good look at the opening before granting auto park. Btw the symbol is displayed while you're still in 'Drive' rather than after going into reverse. Good luck.

You may be too far from the parked cars.Try crawling along closer to the parked car side. Also drive a bit further past the opening than you're accustomed to. The lateral camera needs a good look at the opening before granting auto park. Btw the symbol is displayed while you're still in 'Drive' rather than after going into reverse. Good luck.
I've done this in empty parking lots or full parking lots at a variety of speeds. I've never seen the P in this scenario.

I've done this in empty parking lots or full parking lots at a variety of speeds. I've never seen the P in this scenario.
Auto Park does not work in an empty parking lot. At least two parked car needs to be present with sufficient gap in-between. Need to be close enough for the side ultrasonic sensors to detect the parked cars and gap.

Note, I'm not certain if camera(s) is used to augment auto park, however the ultrasonic sensors are in fact utilized and thus the requirement to be within range. I find that ~5 ft. always worked for me.

Last edited:
Durring my trial I never got it to work. Not once. The only time I ever had the P space show up is pulling in or out of my driveway I have a huge boulder and a retaining wall. A few times it showed a “space” between the two even though it’s only about 3 feet wide and 2 feet deep... I was never brave enough to try it to see what would have happened. Hopefully it would have stopped at some point and realized it wouldn’t fit?

I just activated my EAP trial, and I've been wanting to test the Autopark feature. I thought it worked with parallel and perpendicular parking. I drove around a parking lot, and made sure I was going less than 10mph, but never saw the gray P symbol to indicate a prospective AutoPark scenario. Any thoughts, and anyone here actually try this feature out yet?
Yes, i've tried it once. Saw the "P", pulled forward a car length as usual, took my hands off the steering wheel, put in in reverse and it started to back into the (perpendicular) spot. However it looked too close on the driver's side for my comfort so I chickened out and cancelled it. (Alone in the car.) I'm thinking that I was too close to the cars on my right.

Yes, i've tried it once. Saw the "P", pulled forward a car length as usual, took my hands off the steering wheel, put in in reverse and it started to back into the (perpendicular) spot. However it looked too close on the driver's side for my comfort so I chickened out and cancelled it. (Alone in the car.) I'm thinking that I was too close to the cars on my right.

It always does this. It will stop, pull forward, and then back in straight (kind of a 3-point turn kind of maneuver). So it does get pretty close on the driver's side, intentionally. Just keep your eyes on the display that shows the ultrasonic distance and your foot on the brake ready to abort, but let it complete the maneuver and it should work fine.

It is hit and (mostly) miss for me also.

Like other posters said, it will only work in empty space between two cars. If there is two or more spaces, EAP is like "park it yourself bro" :)

The time it worked for a parallel spot was awesome (1 time).

It does crazy stuff like coleAK where it shows the P button between the tree in my front lawn and my garage. One day... I'll muster the balls and reflexes to hit it... I also get some random spot in slow traffic...

• Funny
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
In the last 6 months that I have had the car, parking has worked me for only twice for perpendicular parking, and it has parked perfectly between 2 cars. Never worked for parallel parking. I prefer to park on my own as it is much faster, but the few times that I have tried to "show off" the feature to family and friends, the "P" sign has always failed to show up on the screen, in spite of multiple attempts with speed, position, D or R. and trying to park between 2 parked cars where there is a full parking spot available.
The times the parking P sign has showed up without me trying is at traffic signals when there are parked cars near the curb, and a few times when parking the car in my garage. It is probably picking up my other car parked inside, but again this happens only sometimes not every time. Theoretically, this should have happened all the time.
Called Tesla Support about this issue. They checked all the sensors and said that they were working fine. Suggested I re-boot the system and try again, and to call back if the issue persists. I did that and the issue is still there, but getting to Tesla Support is a big challenge, so I have given up, because I dont want to be on hold for a minimum of 30 minutes for a feature that I do not use.

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
It always does this. It will stop, pull forward, and then back in straight (kind of a 3-point turn kind of maneuver). So it does get pretty close on the driver's side, intentionally. Just keep your eyes on the display that shows the ultrasonic distance and your foot on the brake ready to abort, but let it complete the maneuver and it should work fine.
OK, I girded my loins (it was a biblical level of trust I was invoking) and did the deed. As you say, it worked perfectly. So I did it again. Worked again. Based upon this bullet proof testing I then offered to demo it for my wife. No way Jose! So I park alone.

In the last 6 months that I have had the car, parking has worked me for only twice for perpendicular parking, and it has parked perfectly between 2 cars. Never worked for parallel parking. I prefer to park on my own as it is much faster, but the few times that I have tried to "show off" the feature to family and friends, the "P" sign has always failed to show up on the screen, in spite of multiple attempts with speed, position, D or R. and trying to park between 2 parked cars where there is a full parking spot available.
The times the parking P sign has showed up without me trying is at traffic signals when there are parked cars near the curb, and a few times when parking the car in my garage. It is probably picking up my other car parked inside, but again this happens only sometimes not every time. Theoretically, this should have happened all the time.
Called Tesla Support about this issue. They checked all the sensors and said that they were working fine. Suggested I re-boot the system and try again, and to call back if the issue persists. I did that and the issue is still there, but getting to Tesla Support is a big challenge, so I have given up, because I dont want to be on hold for a minimum of 30 minutes for a feature that I do not use.
That's funny, because it rarely shows up for me with perpendicular parking, but I use it almost every time with parallel parking. Although generally I don't see the grey P, just the blue button to engage it once I put it in reverse to park. It's much faster at parallel parking, and generally just as fast as I would do it myself (often faster, since it never misjudges how steeply to turn).

Yeah, DEMOs are high risk. I’ve tried to demo auto park two separate times. It never works out. I think I have to wait for Auto Park to be upgraded to cameras from ultrasonics. Some future software revision I hope.