Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Unboxed" Gen 3 manufacturing Process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we have a pretty good timeline for the next-gen vehicle. They said it will be made in Mexico. If they start building the factory in a few months and its done mid-2024, then we should see cars coming out around the end of 2024. I don't think they'll start building unless they have a production timeline, so we'll have a better idea once they start breaking ground.

It looked more like it will be a front casting, rear casting, and structural battery/mid section. Each of which will be assembled individually, then mated together. Most of the body panels will already be painted and installed; front fenders, rear quarter-panels, etc. and the hinged parts; hood, doors will have been painted on a parallel track with the body modules (likely from the same paint batch) and installed after the modules are joined.

The graphics indicated the advantages of assembly workers being able to simultaneously work on all sides of each module and how this will speed up the process. i.e.: The graphic showed the dashboard being pre-assembled onto the front module; the rear seat was installed on the rear module; and the front seats, carpet, console are installed on the battery pack (as is being done on structural packs now).

Once these are joined there is minimal work needed inside performing contortionist moves and requiring complex robotic processes. This is very much what I believe is the "Highland" (nod to Ford's Highland Park) processing of the manufacturing, so as to revolutionize the assembly line in a way only Tesla's brain trust could conceive of.

This appears to not be the one-piece "Mattel" like single casting model, yet will still maximize time and effort to reduce assembly time while meeting that objective. Doing a single-casting would significantly increase the time needed to accomplish all the "inside" work and could very likely slow down the overall production rate, thus negating any advantages.

I was extremely pleased with this presentation last night, although it didn't cover everything I expected. Notably, the promised incorporation of SpaceX and Boring company to Master Plan Part 3 was nowhere to be found tonight, which makes me wonder if more is coming later. We were told to look forward to the Master Plan white paper, the next-gen vehicle reveal event, and the next Impact Report, so tonight definitely was only the first in a series of info dumps. Also, the president of Mexico in his announcement on Tuesday of Giga Mexico said to expect more information next week, though it’s not clear about what. Probably water.

The big story for the car business last night is that they explained how they’re going to cut $15k+ from the cost to produce each car while slashing billions of dollars from the CapEx investments needed for each incremental 1M cars/year of production capacity. The goal of cutting the cost in half isn’t news, as that was effectively announced in 2020 on Battery Day when Tesla first officially announced intentions of a $25k car. What was news is explaining how they’ll do this and showing, for the first time, actual data on cost trends for several of the major vehicle subsystems. Tesla showed us last night that they are the only company in the industry that can produce compelling affordable EVs for the masses. The demand for a good $25k Tesla would be plenty for selling 20M per year, if not more (spread across multiple models around this price, of course). The question for me has been whether Tesla can actually make such a car with COGS of under $20k, and after Investor Day my confidence in that happening has majorly increased. $5k per car and 20M cars per year is $100B gross profit, and that’s before piling on subsidies and high-margin recurring software and services revenue. $10k per car, $200B. And will they stop at 20? After last night I’m more skeptical of that than ever.

Tesla was very clear in saying that the price elasticity of demand for Tesla products is extreme. That is, the quantity of orders is exquisitely sensitive to price. The was a strong hypothesis, but it’s now been experimentally tested with the price cuts. This has important implications for the strength of Tesla’s margins and total addressable market as they drop lower-priced models onto the market and gradually reduce S3XY prices over time as well. Tesla appears poised to DOMINATE the $25-45k market segment, and this is where most of the money is, especially if you can make like $5k or $10k per car. Prototypes are fun and exciting but what we really needed to know was the plan for resources, logistics and production cost and that’s what Tesla delivered. Don’t get mad that they fed us veggies and brown rice instead of candy. As a long term investor, the core of my thesis has always been that Tesla can make more cars than anyone in history with low OpEx overhead and strong gross margins as the lowest-cost producer. This is how the auto business can hit $100 or $200 billion annual earnings in the 2030s conservatively assuming level 5 autonomy development will have totally failed. In conjunction with Battery Day, Investor Day greatly reduced my remaining doubt that Tesla can do this.

Toyota originated a useful eight wastes framework that basically is the first principles of efficient industrial engineering:
  1. Overproduction
  2. Inventory
  3. Waiting
  4. Motion
  5. Transportation
  6. Rework
  7. Overprocessing
  8. Underutilized human potential
The more you eliminate these wastes, the more you can improve safety, quality, throughput, morale and cost. I recommend rewatching the manufacturing sections of the presentation with this list of wastes and consider all the ways Tesla is deleting them throughout the value chain. Like Pete Bannon said, they’ve found all kinds of ways to shave the carrot.

View attachment 912875

This slide and the build sequence animation was great. In 2020 I was impressed with the Supertub (see image below). Last year I was impressed when Munro Live showed us the Model Y structural battery pack assembly with the seat and everything built up atop it. Now Tesla has revealed they’re taking that concept to a whole new level by completing almost all of the general assembly work before mating the major structural elements. This is revolutionary from an access, ergonomics and safety standpoint. The body in white itself has traditionally been an annoying obstruction to general assembly because it’s basically a big enclosed cage. Humans have to lean and contort into awkward postures to get work done, and robots have to slowly and carefully move in and out of the openings. No more of that with this new design, and as Tesla noted this will improve the density of value-added operations per square meter of floor space by about 40%, even as it also deletes traditional non-value-added operations like putting the doors on multiple times. Lars mentioned "tested subassemblies". This is also key. Fixing problems is also a lot easier before they’re covered up with other hardware. Further, with the old way, most of the mass is being moved around without added value. With this new method, there's much less wasted motion and force. This will also further reduce the energy embodied in the manufacturing of each car.

View attachment 912937

This new sequence is also much more parallelizable than the Model Y line and the smaller subassemblies allow 33% more people and robots to simultaneously operate on each vehicle.

My big question with respect to this new assembly sequence is exactly why no one else has done this before. Is it only feasible with an EV architecture? Are castings or structural battery packs required to make it practical?

After seeing what Tesla presented I think this plan is probably better than a complete full-body casting, which is really just a better way to complete the old design flow.

If you haven’t worked in manufacturing you might not realize just how terrible wire harnesses are from fabrication to assembly to troubleshooting to service. They are often one of the worst and most frustrating aspects of building products. Tesla showed last night a strong trend of reducing wiring in the vehicles and a path to reduce even more in Gen 3. I won’t rehash what they said but it’s a big deal for the low-voltage system.

Tesla has continually said manufacturing will be their long term competitive advantage and this event was mostly about manufacturing. They showed us how they'll make Gen 3, not the cabin design and sheet metal and shape. That stuff is relatively easy and everyone in the industry knows how to do it.

One aspect I think Tesla understated or maybe doesn't see…The beginning of the presentation covered what is needed to transition the world to sustainable energy, with an implied assumption that there will be a one-for-one replacement of current applications. I think this is a profoundly inaccurate assumption. My thesis remains that overall energy consumption is actually going to increase many times over, despite the greater efficiency of electric motors compared to any Carnot heat engine. Whenever supply of any fundamental factor of production increases such that it’s cheaper, better and more available, economies consume more of it. This will happen with clean energy, and it already has been happening with thermal energy sources since the beginning of the First Industrial Revolution. We consume far more joules of coal/oil/gas per capita than we ever did with less-efficient traditional biomass like wood. The long-term cumulative numbers presented last night should be viewed as a baseline scenario showing it’s technically and economically possible to get humanity off of fossil fuels by 2050, but it’s not presenting the magnitude of the true long-term opportunity of energy and the new ways we will use it.

What else we got that stood out to me:
  • Hard historical data showing what we've thought and proving what the Munro team has been claiming all along: that Tesla's innovation has been aggressively reducing costs in every major vehicle subsystem.

• Digital twin and digital thread principles are deeply embedded in everything Tesla does, and the shift to using exclusively custom Tesla-designed microcontrollers is the final step to unleashing the full power of this strategy because Tesla engineers will now have total control over the brains of the car. Tesla showed a deeper glimpse than ever into their incredible data management and end-to-end software integration.

• FSD Beta collision rate finally revealed. Human-supervised FSD Beta has decidedly NOT increased risk for customers or others sharing the road. 6x lower collision rate. One could argue that even with fewer collisions there may be an elevated risk of catastrophic failure, but seeing as there have been zero reports of deaths or injuries, I’m inclined to believe that the collisions that have happened on FSD have not been especially serious compared to the statistical norm for human drivers.

• As far as I can remember, this is the first time we've heard any detail directly from Tesla about Factory Mode. Joe Justice has talked about it extensively but I still have some skepticism for stuff he claims because it seems like he tends to exaggerate. Hearing it straight from Tesla was great news. Tesla is basically using the car’s display as visual quality control, a new twist on the traditional Andon concept. Joe Justice has also talked a lot about Tesla’s software-style continuous integration testing in the factory and Tesla also mentioned this last night. It’s the right approach in my opinion.

• Lots of miscellaneous bits of technical info that the people who insist on negativity seem to have completely missed

• Specifics on just how cheap superchargers are

• Clear guidance that the crazy OpEx cost control we’ve seen is likely to continue as business scales, implying amazing leverage is coming

• Powertrain: No rare-earth metals, $1k cost, agnostic to battery chemistry, 75% less SiC

• 48V for all low-voltage components, completely leaving 12V behind

• Zero cross-car power wires by moving away from centralized control to local controllers (edge computing). Ethernet (much lighter weight than the old wires) will route data between microprocessors.

• Advanced in-house electromagnetic physics simulation software that is faster and more accurate than any commercially available options

• Castings on modular approach: Looks like quite bigger and complex casting, will have fixtures for everything, thermal system, suspension, steering wheel, display, computer module, 16 V battery, drive unit, HVAC ducts and so on, everything goes into the castings, no brackets no nothing. If they integrate seatbelt into the seat, there will be almost nothing going into the stamped body other than trim.

Except that Franz in the “ride the lightning” podcast said that the cybertruck frame was meant for something tough like a cybertruck and not necessarily a small passenger vehicle. And how does the triangle shape work on a small car anyways?

Again, just a lot of misplaced speculation from influencers trying to drive up their status/income.

I normally like what Tesla Facts posts, but I have my doubts about doing etching at the factory, after market or perhaps even at the delivery centre no problem.

My personal speculation for Gen3 is Galvanized Steel (similar to roofing material) panels with automated wrapping.

Wraps can be "self healing", "spray on vinyl" exists, and a patch could be made into a "feature" by applying an identical patch on the other side of the car.

Wraps may only last 5-7 years., but a car can be re-wrapped.

IMO Galvanised steel panels in bulk may cost little more than regular panels dipped in zinc. A combination which it outperforms due to the higher temperature used in the Galvanizing process., More importantly the process doesn't need to be done at the factory.

For Gen3 they showed 2 vehicles under covers, the van could be stainless steel and similar to the Cybertruck, like Cybertruck it probably comes in plain stainless steel with no customisations.

I think the second more compact vehicle is more likely to be wrapped or painted rather than stainless streel, that is because it will be sold to private buyers in high numbers. Also potentially due to cost and weight considerations.

I could be wrong, that would not be a surprise, this is highly speculative.

Listening to Franz, seems likely that future Tesla's may not use paint. He didn't say that but it would be regressive regarding sustainability targets etc.

Crazy idea:
Could gen 3 shell be entirely made of glass?

Could fit with unboxed methodology. Glass is probably tough enough and can be tinted to hide mechanicals etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mike Ambler
Right now I don't think so, Elon or someone else said doing a change like that involves taking a production line offline for months, which they can't afford

Actually, Elon said that converting the Fremont Model 3 assembly line to gigacastings is like changing the tires on your car while it's rolling down the highway at 80 mph.

We just need the Model Y line running at 81 mph beside the 3-line so we can pull this stunt.

Calvin.I meant to do that.jpg

Cheers to the stunt drivers!

• Funny
Reactions: CarlS
True, plus the PoE standard (802.3af or "Power over Ethernet") is 48v. This allows for a single cable to each device, which also decreases the cable count by 2x. Less wiring, simpler build.

Cheers!

I think part of the advantage of going to 48v, which requires less copper, is that it make it possible for Tesla to use the flexible printed PCB/harness, which make installation easier to automate. (At least I think that is one of the things they said.)

Body in pieces benefits from multiplex electrical architecture which benefits from 48V.
Multiple circuits or high current inline connections are not a preferred configuration (bulky and costly).

Like @MP3Mike mentioned, the new setup may be more like flex PCB or ribbon cable (thin crossection). Tesla may combine modules with the interconnects to reduce part count.

I agree the missing part thing is always an issue.
Tesla will do much better but you get the idea:
Flex-Circuit2.png

Roadster 2.0 production line yet to be created?
My nephew works on a team building drive units for the Roadster. (He’s a factory worker, not an engineer.) I am not going to disclose what location he works at, but he said their team builds about 40-50 drive units per day for the Roadster and sends them to both Giga-Nevada and China for further assembly. Perhaps TESLA is planning a production launch of Roadster 2.0 along with Cybertruck in Q3 this year…???

My nephew works on a team building drive units for the Roadster. (He’s a factory worker, not an engineer.) I am not going to disclose what location he works at, but he said their team builds about 40-50 drive units per day for the Roadster and sends them to both Giga-Nevada and China for further assembly. Perhaps TESLA is planning a production launch of Roadster 2.0 along with Cybertruck in Q3 this year…???
Huge news if true. Elon only just again stated that they are looking to start Roadster production end of next year. Elon won't be lying.

Can you clarify exactly with him. Could these be plaid motors for S/X?

Reactions: replicant