Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncharacteristic rudeness at Dallas Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today I went to my 7:15am appointment
at the Dallas Service Center to have my front end aligned. I was there approximately an hour, waiting in the customer area, drinking coffee and surfing the net on my phone. When one of the office staff comes over, sits down next to me, and asks: How can I help you today? Um, I didn't ask for any help. She said: Are you just hanging out with us today? It didn't really register at that moment what she was implying. So I joked
and said I really did have my car. After a few minutes I was pissed off. She implied that I
was not a customer. And I was hanging out
in their waiting area, drinking their coffee.
Or I didn't look like I could own one of their cars. Anyway, it was insulting to me. I spoke to a manager about my interaction. He basically said: thanks for letting me know. That was it. Am I overreacting? I'm 60, and dress average: jeans, jacket, and skechers.

• Funny
Reactions: Pentium2004
at the Dallas Service Center to have my front end aligned. I was there approximately an hour, waiting in the customer area, drinking coffee and surfing the net on my phone. When one of the office staff comes over, sits down next to me, and asks: How can I help you today? Um, I didn't ask for any help. She said: Are you just hanging out with us today? It didn't really register at that moment what she was implying. So I joked
and said I really did have my car. After a few minutes I was pissed off. She implied that I
Or I didn't look like I could own one of their cars. Anyway, it was insulting to me. I spoke to a manager about my interaction. He basically said: thanks for letting me know. That was it. Am I overreacting? I'm 60, and dress average: jeans, jacket, and skechers.

Weird attitude. I have literally hung out at some stores and service centers drinking coffee and surfing web while either waiting for my car or supercharging or waiting for my wife. Haven't had any experience like this.

Am I overreacting? I'm 60, and dress average: jeans, jacket, and skechers.

Don't you guys think a 60 year old would know if he/she over-reacted or not? Give him/her a bit more credit, will ya?

The OP asked for an opinion and people obliged. Settle.

(I think that no harm was meant. She was probably just trying to start a conversation (ie, her job) and doing it awkwardly.)

OP, you luckily haven't spent much time at a SC. They are just doing their job and trying to be accommodating. Normally the waiting area is also for customers picking up new cars. They just want to be on top of things and I'm sure are trained to be attentive and exuberant for customers. I'm surprised you were not queried a few times by employees that usually go in and out of that area. I know I have been. I took it that they were all just trying to help me with my possible needs. Could I have been mistaken? Maybe they thought I was a transient? Quite possibly, I need an extreme makeover! Now I'm depressed...

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: bonnie
Your experience is better than mine at Tysons.

I am having to go back a 3rd time to pick up some Tesla center caps, and I was told not to LOOK at the model 3 that was right in the entrance bay today when I was waiting for my parts and I walked a single circle around it!

And this is now, when some cars are in showrooms and multiple owners have them.

The parts guy actually left while the service guy was writing up the ticket last night, then this morning they did not have the parts in (which they had at closing last night), and then 15 min after I left... Magically they got a shipment where the parts are in stock again :)

So 3 trips and I will make sure not to look left or right at any model 3's tonight when I go to get these magical center caps that are in stock and out of stock by the minute.

I am on my 3rd Tesla with a model 3 shipping to me now. Never had such poor or rude service in the past.

Inefficient parts dept and rude employee.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
My wife treats me this way all the time.
Unfortunately she's also the manager...

• Funny
Reactions: ModelX and ATC@LWSK
Trust me - I totally don't look like the type to own this car - younger, never wear anything but jeans and a t-shirt (a polo if I REALLY have to dress up) and I wait there all the time so I doubt it was your attire. I think this person just didn't know that you were there with your car and was being polite to see if you needed anything. Granted her choice of phrasing might not have been the best, but I don't think her intentions were ill-aligned.