Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uncorking is the term for the increase in "uncorked" battery power. But it came with an incidental increase in the max torque setting, which is the thing that gets noticed and makes up the difference in 0-60 time. Older dual motors had enough headroom to increase torque across both motors. And newer RWDs with DU01 motors had enough headroom for more torque by themselves.

Any sense of whether there’s room in a 2016-2017 75RWD for the 5% bump in the firmware Elon tweeted about coming later this month?

...When the updated cars were released, the RWD 75 models also had significant speed improvements.
Tesla released a RWD car with significant improvements, but Tesla didn't improve existing RWD cars. Tesla released the RWD DU01 drive unit cars with 310kW and 565Nm up from 280 and 450. AWD cars got improved retroactively.

Any sense of whether there’s room in a 2016-2017 75RWD for the 5% bump in the firmware Elon tweeted about coming later this month?
I don't know how to interpret Elon's comment. Will ALL of the S/X get a boost? Just the newer DUxx drive units (from 14 Jun 2017)? Only the 3 gets a power increase but the S/X gets the top speed increase?

The cars are torque limited to nearly 60mph. Almost nobody will notice a 5% increase in power, not even if you are timing your high speed passing with a stopwatch. But like last time, everybody noticed a 10% increase in torque.
There is usually room for an increase. Tesla uses max torque and max power to differentiate their different lines and to manage warranty repairs. The funny thing is that the older S/X cars have a smaller total warranty liability as they get closer to warranty expiration, so at some point there is a (small) incentive to let owners destroy them and just buy new ones. So why didn't RWDs get the uncorking before? The batteries can likely produce the power. The motor might be able to handle more power. Were the contactors too small? Was the inverter maxed out? Probably the latter.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DJP31 and MIT_S60
In order to uncork a car, SC needs to change two options in vehicle config and reflash firmware. They could change only one and it says 'Uncorked' in config (performanceAddOn set to 3) but they also need to update other config option (performance) from 3 to 1. Just ask your SC to double check

I have a question. When the mobile tech came and did some service on my car he mentioned that my car was set to "performance 1". My battery (75) and drive unit were both replaced in 2017 so how would one check to see if in fact 1. my S could be uncorked 2. if it has already been uncorked. When I mentioned it at the local SC the person that was helping me didnt seem to understand what I was asking. Would it have to be set to 1, 2 or 3?