Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

under 10,000 per year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was Carbon Fiber body mentioned? I don't remember if it was.
The original yes. And for small runs it works fine - consider i3 and i8.
fiberglass or carbon fiber (Corvette still made of fiberglass, right??)
Works well for smaller production numbers.

Tooling for stamping dies cost and so minimum production numbers are needed to justify.

Glass/Carbon fiber
Aluminium (Model S/X) I think Sandy Munro mention + 70,000 to justify steel.
Steel (Model 3)

So production numbers, of course, enter into the calculations.
Seems all exotics are Carbon Fiber, even Alfa.

We shall see. Could all be hand built if <10,000 units per year.

Techniques vary over time. SpaceX: Falcon Carbon Fiber and BFR Stainless Steel.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlK
As reported here → Tesla Roadster Production Likely Under 10,000: Will Beat All Hypercars

To put that in perspective, Tesla produced somewhere around 2,500 first-generation Roadsters, total. (If I recall right, about 1,500 were sold in the USA.)

Given that the new Roadster is a far more advanced car with incredible specifications, and Tesla is a much more established and known entity now, 10,000 per year seems just about on point to me.

Over on Reddit this did spark a bit of conversation about who the likely buyers will be. My theory is that interest from the usual supercar crowd will be tepid. To them it's something out of left field. I expect it to draw in a lot of people from outside those circles, from people who never would have bought a Ferrari or a Lambo.

As crazy as it sounds, I have an order for a founders AND a regular. I took several years of bonuses and some equity credit line to do it...but Im leaning in heavy.
Im an old car collector(7 in the stable at current time). I agree with the comments that the supercar crowd will be/is tepid. Im betting once the public feedback of the early owners/blog guys/magazine reviewers start coming in, the supercar world is going to frenzy a little(like when the bentley continental came out).

I think the 2020 should have the autonomous..its just a software on/off switch. The car becomes the best of all worlds then. Again with my Bentley reference.. Many Bentley continental owners up here in the Northeast use there 4WD continentals in the winter snow/rain/ sleet. Why not, its 6,000lbs and 4wd...a brute in snow. Yeah, they'll have to send it to the detail guy a few more times a year but who's counting.
The Tesla offers that and more...Another example was when the Acura NSX came out the early adopters were hailing its 'drive it to the track, on the track win the track... drive it to work the next morning'. The tesla will take that to the next level.
And, based on the ownership costs & repair history cost figures to date of other tesla models, the roadster is going to be peanuts to maintain vs cars like the McClaren($45,000 oil changes) or Ferraris($49,000 20kmi service). Its gonna be a blast to watch the scurrying. RJB

As crazy as it sounds, I have an order for a founders AND a regular. I took several years of bonuses and some equity credit line to do it...but Im leaning in heavy.
Im an old car collector(7 in the stable at current time). I agree with the comments that the supercar crowd will be/is tepid. Im betting once the public feedback of the early owners/blog guys/magazine reviewers start coming in, the supercar world is going to frenzy a little(like when the bentley continental came out).

I think the 2020 should have the autonomous..its just a software on/off switch. The car becomes the best of all worlds then. Again with my Bentley reference.. Many Bentley continental owners up here in the Northeast use there 4WD continentals in the winter snow/rain/ sleet. Why not, its 6,000lbs and 4wd...a brute in snow. Yeah, they'll have to send it to the detail guy a few more times a year but who's counting.
The Tesla offers that and more...Another example was when the Acura NSX came out the early adopters were hailing its 'drive it to the track, on the track win the track... drive it to work the next morning'. The tesla will take that to the next level.
And, based on the ownership costs & repair history cost figures to date of other tesla models, the roadster is going to be peanuts to maintain vs cars like the McClaren($45,000 oil changes) or Ferraris($49,000 20kmi service). Its gonna be a blast to watch the scurrying. RJB

I have a mixed feeling on that. On one hand I hope you're right and Tesla will raise the price (after my reservation is fulfilled of cours) when demand far exceeds supply and people bid up the price in the market. Kind of like what happened with the original NSX. A few lucky ones did get the car at ~$60,000. On the other hand this is intended to be my daily driver. Not sure how comfortable I would be driving a, say, $300K car to the grocery store.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brando
There will be a lot more Roadsters sold than folks think... Again, a supercar that's under #$250k is nice. Lots of folks that dished out $160k+ for the S and X definitely have the $$$ for the Roadster. Once they start production, and the roadster gets on the street, I think they'll probably have ~20-30k orders...

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
FWIW, and it's not worth that much, I will be one of the few people who road-trips their Roadster. By the time I get my Roadster I will be 60 years old. This will be the last sports car I own for the rest of my life and then I will be dead. Once you reach this age the concept of 'worrying about resale value' is meaningless. It's for me and me to enjoy, thoroughly.

And, frankly, even after I put 100k miles on it, it's still going to have a hell of a resale value.

I am confident that the car will be a reliable daily driver. I plan to take it on frequent cross country roadtrips where that 600+ miles range will be mind blowing.

I plan to enjoy the hell out of it and drive it anywhere and everywhere, not just to the race track, but to the grocery store and cross country roadtrips too. And, yeah, FSD/AP will be great for those roadtrips as well.

Also, I pretty much treat my current Roadster the same way. I have almost 40k miles on it and just drive it as much as I want wherever I want.

I saw that report on Electrek, but it seems both vague and unverified. Not that it makes a great deal of difference to me personally. . . Specs on tesla.com are still unchanged.

It looks Elon mixed mph and kmh numbers in a haste in the tweet. That sentence was just to point out cold thruster will make the car even faster than the base model. Fred tweeted Elon for verification but he couldn't wait for the answer and just published that click bait anyway.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: Brando and AMPd
Given that the new Roadster is a far more advanced car with incredible specifications, and Tesla is a much more established and known entity now, 10,000 per year seems just about on point to me.
I doubt that Tesla could sell that many $200,000+ cars in a year. I don’t think the market is there. But I’m just guessing, I am not an expert.

If the new Roadster had a base price of $100,000 then I think Tesla could easily sell over 10,000/year.

Interesting announcement... Pininfarina drives into the future with the Battista EV

Looks a lot like the Roadster concept design for only 10x the price... :cool:

battista-front-3-4-pininfarina.ashx

tesla_roadster_20.jpeg

For decades, some of the fastest, most powerful cars from Italy wore two badges: Ferrari for the builder and Pininfarina for the designer. (Sometimes Pininfarina was the builder, too.) A new 1900-horsepower Italian hypercar arriving in 2021 will wear only one of those names, and it’s not Ferrari. Heck, it won’t even have a gasoline engine.

The Battista is a $2M+ EV named for Battista “Pinin” Farina, who founded the renowned carrozzeria (coachbuilder) in 1930. It is the first product of Automobili Pininfarina, a new sibling to the renowned design company launched after India-based vehicle maker Mahindra bought the firm in 2015. Based in Munich, Automobili Pininfarina is headed by former Audi executive Michael Perschke. The design company remains in Turin, with Paolo Pininfarina, a grandson of Battista Farina, at the helm.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando