Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding 85kWh battery limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I am closing in to the end of the warranty, I was checking every other day the service menu. Driving normal, no pushing to any limits I get a ton of DI_w166_hvilOutOfBounds.
Opened another ticket, waiting to see if they notice anything in the logs or if I need to bring it in…again.
And as before, power limit below 30% SOC.

Reactions: Cheese Guy
I get the impression this is one of those situations Tesla has used to justify not having a user-accessible service menu for so long...

Verbatim from Tesla's own internal documentation (don't ask) about DI_w166 (emphasis mine):

The drive inverter (DI) has detected that the high voltage interlock loop (HVIL) voltage is outside of the specified range. This alert only applies to small drive units. This alert is set if HVIL voltage is +/-0.3 volts or +/- 1.5ma the nominal value. This alert can be falsely triggered when the DI is outputting higher torque. This alert alone is not enough to identify an HVIL issue.

TL;DR - DI_w166 doesn't indicate a problem, unless paired with other HVIL related errors.

Edit: Keep in mind, things starting to move from a standstill require higher torque, as do a lot of other normal driving uses.

• Funny
Reactions: blodg1
I get the impression this is one of those situations Tesla has used to justify not having a user-accessible service menu for so long...

Verbatim from Tesla's own internal documentation (don't ask) about DI_w166 (emphasis mine):

The drive inverter (DI) has detected that the high voltage interlock loop (HVIL) voltage is outside of the specified range. This alert only applies to small drive units. This alert is set if HVIL voltage is +/-0.3 volts or +/- 1.5ma the nominal value. This alert can be falsely triggered when the DI is outputting higher torque. This alert alone is not enough to identify an HVIL issue.

TL;DR - DI_w166 doesn't indicate a problem, unless paired with other HVIL related errors.

Edit: Keep in mind, things starting to move from a standstill require higher torque, as do a lot of other normal driving uses.
So, stop drag racing 😊😃

Thank you (again)!
Looking at my pack voltages and what SMT reports as CAC imbalance makes me feel better, but I would go to a newer 90kWh pack to gain a bit more range and (hopefully) a faster Supercharging speed. Already made an inquiry on your site.

• Funny
Reactions: tomsla and wk057

Didn't I post the internal doc info at the beginning of this thread? ;)

Totally agree that TMI will do more harm than good in the wrong hands.

• Disagree
Reactions: tomsla
I think I jinxed myself with my earlier reply. My car dropped the DI w166 _hvilOutOfBounds over the weekend. It's at the SC now and they gave me a loaner. Car still charges fine but I am seeing reduced power from my eyeballs. I don't see the power limit lines but even on the warm days we've had this winter I am not seeing the gauge go as high as it used to.

I also has that error on mine..
What's was the verdict from SC?

Reactions: tomsla
Tesla doesn't care about antique 85s, out of warranty. Their solution is buy a RE manufactured pack for 12k. I'm working with 057 to determine the condition of my pack. Advice. Don't run it below 20% or over 80%. Too much strain on old pack. Set charge to slow at night. Oh. I never get super rate of 70kw .
How many A? Does this make a noticeable change?