Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Underwhelmed by holiday update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updates people asked for:
- Bigger driving visualization
- Scheduled departure improvements
- Number of available SC stalls

A lot of people find the games very valuable while charging, on a ferry, waiting for someone in a parking lot, et.al.
I mean, there's a bunch of valid concerns and complaints about Tesla and the Model 3, complaining about underwhelming OTA updates....
You do you, I guess.

Btw: games are highly subjective, no? So you can't complain about some games being nonsense and others aren't. Unless your complaint is that the games aren't relevant for you?
Love how people disagree with this post. I wonder which part they found offensive to their sensibilities.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod

As the comments note- for older cars it'd be a LOT of work (like replace the wiring harness and make a new hole in the firewall lot of work).... that's almost 100% for sure never happening at a service center.

I suppose for the very-near-the-cut-off-date folks who only are missing the speaker they might offer them the option to add it.

As the comments note- for older cars it'd be a LOT of work (like replace the wiring harness and make a new hole in the firewall lot of work).... that's almost 100% for sure never happening at a service center.

I suppose for the very-near-the-cut-off-date folks who only are missing the speaker they might offer them the option to add it.

Agree don't see that happening. adding speaker maybe.

They disagree with what you listed. Also all those things were implemented very badly in this update, except the available stalls. It already showed that in the past but you had to select the supercharger overlay.

I think it showed when you were in navigation, I know I was watching it in real time as I was approaching a supercharger on my trip.

When my app asked permission to install 48.26 a couple days ago, I yawned and figured it was just bug fixes to 48.12.1 that we already had. So I was surprised this morning by the very revised UI. Overall, I think I like it.

Plusses:
  • In the visualization area, moving things more compactly to the top to make more room for visualization.
  • Animated opening and closing of doors and trunk.
  • At a traffic light stop, the lights are more visible since they aren't getting overlaid by the speedometer and such.
  • Better organization and access to release notes.
Minuses:
  • The visualization area is wider now, meaning less room for the map. I wish I could drag the boundary, sizing the panes to my preference.

When my app asked permission to install 48.26 a couple days ago, I yawned and figured it was just bug fixes to 48.12.1 that we already had. So I was surprised this morning by the very revised UI. Overall, I think I like it.

Plusses:
  • In the visualization area, moving things more compactly to the top to make more room for visualization.
  • At a traffic light stop, the lights are more visible since they aren't getting overlaid by the speedometer and such.
Minuses:
  • The visualization area is wider now, meaning less room for the map. I wish I could drag the boundary, sizing the panes to my preference.

I haven't driven with it yet, but I noticed it seemed wider leaving less room for browser, map etc. hopefully they will fix that in future release, size was just fine before.

I was so excited for this update, my first year to get the great holiday update after getting my 2019 at 7 months in 2020. The one update in it that is probably not very useful but seems to be fun is the bullhorn which apparently only the newest cars have. I've gotten better features through many of the other updates. This basically amounted to 3 mediocre games and a change in the way we see the left hand side of the screen. I'm quite disappointed that Tesla can't fix the blind spot monitoring to match cars made in 2010, but they have plenty of time to come up with non important features that are probably illegal in many jurisdictions that less than 50% of owners can use.

Plusses:
Minuses:

Has anyone mentioned how small the elements are in the cluster? I can barely read speed, time, battery charge. It’s ridiculous and disappointing. The wider screen car visualization is a plus but at what cost! I’m a fan of the prior cluster arrangement.

I agree I don’t like my camera view shoved more to the left. Although I do like the new look and feel of the visualizations they need to fix the color of the blue car. My model 3 looks like it’s a electric blue color. It’s funny if you go to vehicle information the model 3 is the correct blue and the visualization is the electric blue. Wouldn’t mind being able to change my aero wheel hub caps to the rims behind for nicer looks. Petty requests but would make me happy since I missed out on boom box with my 2018 model

All,

I have major concerns about the most recent Tesla vehicle update (the "Holiday Update").

This update changed fundamental decisions about how and where to present critical information, such as the *speedometer* and gear that the vehicle is in, and in ways that are baffling and potentially dangerous.

The speedometer, for example, is arguably the most important, most-used indicator while driving. It was formerly in a nice large font and centered separately from other indicators for clear, quick viewing. Now, it's in a messy row with other similarly-sized indicators all sort of lumped together. The "gear" font (e.g., R, D, N, P) is now smaller, and the new location makes it much more likely to be obscured by the steering wheel for many drivers (something many are also posting in the Tesla Forums themselves on Tesla's website).

It's just a god-awful mess. This would be like buying a car with a physical speedometer and determining you like the location, then having the manufacturer come by your house and forcibly remove the speedometer without asking you and replacing it with a smaller one in some new location next to a bunch of other stuff.

Moreover, I don't *want* more space on the left for full-self driving visualization. I *much* prefer having more space for nice large navigation maps and infotainment display on the right.

I sincerely hope Tesla undoes this dangerous, ill-advised decision, or at least give drivers the option to put the display of critical driving information back the way it was.

I'd encourage anyone who agrees to contact Tesla and express a similar concern. You can try reaching them in various ways (always a "luck of the draw" process, with Tesla) at:

Tesla SSO - Sign In

- B

Last edited:
....and any other car you own or have owned, how Overwhelming was that holiday update?o_O:eek:

so we are just willing to lower the bar? This is just regular software development (not talking about FSD, just the system user interface and apps). Too many apologists in here giving a pass to Musk constantly missing timelines which are at a point of being lies to investors