Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unethical Business Practice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had an original delivery date for our MY of November 2021, we have now been pushed back 3 times with an expected delivery date of August or September 2022. It’s clear that this is happening because we are locked into a lower price. It’s also entirely unethical that we could have a June delivery date if we were to buy a new car now with FSD. This obviously implies it’s not an inventory limitation but a sign of Tesla greed. Is there any recourse here other than moving on to a different company?

On what date did you initially finalize your profile? Tesla really isn’t in the business of allowing old orders to persist forever considering that just means that eventually you’ll be getting a relatively much more advanced car at a much better than current market price. I’m willing to bet if you at least wait for Austin to start delivering cars that you’ll see your EDD drop significantly.

Reactions: preilly44
On what date did you initially finalize your profile? Tesla really isn’t in the business of allowing old orders to persist forever considering that just means that eventually you’ll be getting a relatively much more advanced car at a much better than current market price. I’m willing to bet if you at least wait for Austin to start delivering cars that you’ll see your EDD drop significantly.

The order was placed in mid-July 2021.

We had an original delivery date for our MY of November 2021, we have now been pushed back 3 times with an expected delivery date of August or September 2022. It’s clear that this is happening because we are locked into a lower price. It’s also entirely unethical that we could have a June delivery date if we were to buy a new car now with FSD. This obviously implies it’s not an inventory limitation but a sign of Tesla greed. Is there any recourse here other than moving on to a different company?
This is exactly how Tesla operates. You either take it or move on.

And this is how they treat you before they have your money.

Your situation seems unusual, there must be something else that perhaps a call to Tesla Order Support would clear up. Like others have said, maybe there's something wrong with your profile unbeknownst to you? As you know by now, the way Tesla handles customer orders is not first come first serve. There are many variables that determine when you get your vehicle that we're not privy to. We're all suffering here due to the enormous demand 🙂.

Shoot... When I got my Tesla back in 2018 I showed up to the service center twice when they said it would be ready for delivery (a 1.5 hour drive) and the car wasn't even there. I wish my delivery date just got moved around... I highly doubt they are discriminating against you because you have a cheaper price. Tesla is a great car company - their logistics and customer service is garbage though.

It’s also entirely unethical that we could have a June delivery date if we were to buy a new car now with FSD. This obviously implies it’s not an inventory limitation but a sign of Tesla greed. Is there any recourse here other than moving on to a different company?
[/QUOTE]

Is the June delivery date guaranteed or an estimate that could change after you’ve placed the order?

What did they say when you called up to investigate?

I think Tesla is getting smarter on people who make reservations with the intention to resell. IE: china has a fleet agreement not to resell within a year now. So, if information is missing in your tesla profile you will probably get shuffled to the end because you appear uncertain about talking delivery.

Reactions: matj1285
I'm highly doubtful it's a sign of Tesla greed. They have every incentive to take your money soon as possible.
I recommend calling the Tesla Order Support number asap. Forget the SA, go to the factory. You need facts.

At best, your situation is an example of poor communication by Tesla regarding your order status. They should be prompting you if your profile is incomplete.
My order was placed on June 11, placed on Hold Sept 3 for a 90-Day window, and they hounded me pretty hard to take delivery even before that Hold expired.
But my order profile was completed in June. I took delivery at last in mid January and have about 2K miles on it without any issues whatsoever.

As far as the FSD Orders being prioritized, that's just business. They want to encourage more take-up for FSD.
Good luck until FSD actually really works, and I know I'll get comments for that statement, but once it does, it'll go huge.