Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected Tesla Fans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in New Hampshire. In my city they told me I was the 3rd registered EV user. The only ones I see around here are from out of state(and there are A LOT of them).
I love being a novelty act. As it has been mentioned, as owners I am positive that we are better salesman than the Tesla reps. I have given a lot of test rides. In fact, I have a friend who is still mad at me because I wouldn't give him a test ride in April. He never stopped socially distancing. The only Corona getting in my car is in a can or a bottle.

Not California.

For those from California, please tell me more about how no-one cares. :p

Out here in CA, BMW / Merc / Audi are getting their lunches handed to them big time by the model 3. Not saying that isnt happening in other places, but Model 3s are common enough that people treat them just like a 3 series, which is, they dont pay attention to them unless something "different" is done to them.

No one pays attention to 3 series BMWs, Audi A3/4s or Merc C class cars either, unless they are M / S-RS/ or AMG, for the most part and tesla falls right in line. What DOES happen though, is people who know you may ask some questions, usually starting with "how far does it go" and "how long does it take to charge".

Reactions: bcpm3p
Yes in regards to Prius drivers - that topic deserves its own thread. Not sure what it is... I've had far more negative interactions with them than ever in the Tesla... and I've only had it for ~1 year.

Third day of ownership, I decided to goose it at a light, not affecting anyone or anything beyond my own tires and enjoyment. Next light, some Prius wagon monstrosity deliberately slows down so that the driver can tell me that I'm an asshole. Ok!

And yes. Totally realize the irony of this comment in relation to my previous post :D

Last edited:
The odd thing, is that no Prius driver has ever said a word to me..

coming from a prior Prius owner, why would I?

Can't beat them, join them type of thing.

M3 is everything a Prius can't be. There are a few things prius does better than the M3 - very few.
it has more seals and the ride is much quieter (more seals than M3). No need to pick on quality control, its obvious toyota has been around the dinosaur roamed around the earth so no surprise there.

About the quieter ride, it has more to do with having an engine at the front and not an empty frunk. having that engine in the front allows a lot of vibration damping and scattering to happen.

But since I switched, I'm willing to live with a few short comings tesla has

Out here in CA, BMW / Merc / Audi are getting their lunches handed to them big time by the model 3. Not saying that isnt happening in other places, but Model 3s are common enough that people treat them just like a 3 series, which is, they dont pay attention to them unless something "different" is done to them.

No one pays attention to 3 series BMWs, Audi A3/4s or Merc C class cars either, unless they are M / S-RS/ or AMG, for the most part and tesla falls right in line. What DOES happen though, is people who know you may ask some questions, usually starting with "how far does it go" and "how long does it take to charge".

Yeay...i used to get a lot more of the cars want to play with me a year ago. Now, no one even tries anymore. North county San Diego is mostly Teslas now :D

Not from California.

For those from California, please tell me more about how no-one cares. :p
A couple days ago a plumber did a little repair work. He saw Tessie in the garage. "Wow, nice car!" he exclaimed. "You ever been in a Tesla?" When he shook his head, I invited him to go for a ride around the block, which he eagerly accepted. I explained things as we rolled along, then I slowly pulled onto a lonely street (I live in the desert, lots of those around here), and said, "When you own a Tesla, you can also do this." It was in Ludicrous Mode and I floored it. He slammed into the seat. I backed it into the garage and showed him how to start the charging process. I let him plug it in. "Who needs gas anymore?" I cracked. He just shook his head in wonderment. Then he left for his next job...impressed.

Op location sayws "michigan".

You almost have to throw california out when it comes to tesla. I think something like 50% of teslas are sold into california, so our experiences out here dont count relative to the rest of the US.
50% of Teslas sold in Cali is a pretty insane stat but I believe it. It's normal for me to see 20 or more on an average day. Then again I live right by a Supercharger :)

I've been seeing more and more Model Y's. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the streets get flooded with them. You know the one car I haven't seen that I really want to see? A Porsche Taycan. It's been out for at least 8 months now and I still haven't spotted one.

Reactions: Pkmmte
50% of Teslas sold in Cali is a pretty insane stat but I believe it. It's normal for me to see 20 or more on an average day. Then again I live right by a Supercharger :)

I've been seeing more and more Model Y's. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the streets get flooded with them. You know the one car I haven't seen that I really want to see? A Porsche Taycan. It's been out for at least 8 months now and I still haven't spotted one.

You will probably see that one with a similar frequency of seeing other cars that cost 125-150k. I dont personally see many cars that cost that much on the road where I am (I do see a ton of cars that would be in the 30-90k range though).

I'm in San Francisco and every time a Model X stop somewhere there are still some onlookers of various age waiting to see the FWD in motion. (myself include...)
I could definitely see people being drawn into by the motorized doors on the X. It's such a "WOW" factor if you never seen it before. Reminds of the Mercedes SLK and Lexus SC I owned back in the day that had the hardtop convertible. People always wanted to see it in action.

You will probably see that one with a similar frequency of seeing other cars that cost 125-150k. I dont personally see many cars that cost that much on the road where I am (I do see a ton of cars that would be in the 30-90k range though).
I live in Mission Valley in SD and it's not that uncommon for me to see high end cars. There's a lot of middle-eastern kids here with rich parents. I used to live in an apartment complex and one of the kids drove a Bentley lol. But yea, I would think my chances of running into a Taycan by now is relatively high but guess not.

I live in Mission Valley in SD and it's not that uncommon for me to see high end cars. There's a lot of middle-eastern kids here with rich parents. I used to live in an apartment complex and one of the kids drove a Bentley lol. But yea, I would think my chances of running into a Taycan by now is relatively high but guess not.

its off topic for this thread, but yeah if you are down in Mission Valley and havent seen even one, thats somewhat indicative of how they are doing. Sample size of 1 for sure, but down there you should have seen at least one by now.

This is absolutely correct. I don't know what it is about Prius people, but every single one of them that I know are indeed antisocial and miserable human beings. I'd add "preppers" to the list too. Right now they're home with 500 rolls of toilet paper and 1 ton of cat litter. The apocalypse is upon us!
As a weird anti-social human being with a lot of cats, I can proudly say I've never been interested in a Prius. I've only ever been interested in terrorizing them with my Performance Model 3. :D

its off topic for this thread, but yeah if you are down in Mission Valley and havent seen even one, thats somewhat indicative of how they are doing. Sample size of 1 for sure, but down there you should have seen at least one by now.
Especially at Fashion Valley mall here you'll often see high end cars parked in the valet section. I honestly think the Taycan is a great car but definitely overpriced. It's going to be interesting to see how well they sell now since they just released the cheaper 4S model which is only 100K.

Anyways apologies for going off topic in thread :)

I really enjoy driving my Tesla around, during these COVID times, it provides a great escape from reality. I have run into so many people that I would never have expected to be Tesla fans. Seeing the broad appeal across ages, races, political backgrounds, current vehicle choices. Tesla has a much broader appeal than just an “Electric car”.

Here in SoCal, Teslas have been common since before the Model S face-lift. By the time I bought mine in late 2015, they hardly rated a comment anymore. Although I did get a comment from one of my customers. I retired in 2004, bought a used cargo van and occupied myself as a handyman. Soon after I bought the Tesla, I showed up with it to do a small job. My customer looked at the car and said, "Clearly I've been paying you wayyy too much!" :)

In my Rio de Janeiro office I have models of my P85D and my P3D+, both in their MCRed color. A few weeks ago we had an electrician in installing some new gear. He was working in my office when he kept looking at my desk. Being slightly intimidated by the surroundings he was mostly silent, as is typical here. Finally, he looked again and said (my translation fro m Portuguese) "excuse me sir, those are Tesla cars aren't they?" me" "yes they are". He: "I think that is a Model S and the other one is a Model 3. is that correct?" me: "yes". He: "Do you have those cars? I think they are not sold here yet?" me: "yes, but they are abroad". He: "I wish they were here. I really want to see one."

That was by far the most unexpected fan I have met. I've been doing Tesla on and off since 2013 so I have met a few.

• Informative
Reactions: Lasairfion
Similar experience as brucet999 here in SoCal. Model 3s are a dime a dozen, and the most frequent questions are range and charging related.

Clients are most surprised by how affordable (relatively) the Model 3 is, at least for the base model. Many people are still under the impression that any Tesla costs 75-100k, which was true when just the S and the X were available, but it’s interesting to see those conceptions take root and persist.

The more they hear that the price is within striking range of a well-equipped Camry or Accord, the more you see their minds start to kick into ‘possibilities’ mode, especially when they hear that it can cost less than $40 a month to charge at home.

Reactions: RNHurt
I could definitely see people being drawn into by the motorized doors on the X. It's such a "WOW" factor if you never seen it before. Reminds of the Mercedes SLK and Lexus SC I owned back in the day that had the hardtop convertible. People always wanted to see it in action.

My daughter was born in 2014. We got our first X in 2016. In 2018 we vacationed in the Cayman Islands. Most taxis there are vans, with the automated doors that slide open/close horizontally. During and after that trip, all my daughter would talk about is how cool the taxi van doors were o_O