Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unintended/Over Acceleration Event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure how hard it is, but the energy would be wasted in that case to provide that consistent experience. Also regen can hit 60kW that's a lot of power. Random google search indicates that's a pretty big resistor.
Edit: The easiest way to do it, would be to use the friction brakes since they're already there. Kind of like blended brakes but in reverse.

Yeah, it’s more efficient to coast with limited regen and driver can use brakes as needed.

Hey guys,

My Tesla crashed few days after I bought it. While I was driving my vehicle started making beeping sounds and asking me to stop near a stop sign.

I initially thought that my Tesla is detecting a stop sign and asking me to stop. However from my understanding Tesla doesn’t yet detect stop signs or traffic signal in Canada. It happened to me twice, 5 mins before the crash.

I pull my car and turn left on a friends drive way. I must be driving around 10km-15 km/hr. My car suddenly accelerated and rear -ended an SUV. My airbags were almost deployed. The impact was so strong that the suv moved and ramped into the garage door.

I read on the forums about Sudden unintended acceleration problems. However I don’t think I pressed the accelerator. I know in most cases they are saying it’s a user error. But I really need to find it out for my mental peace and to drive the car again.

This is really scary!

Is there a way to retrieve the car logs to Get more information about the acceleration? Is it possible to rent the EDR kit?

Yes -- SUA problem is real and not imagined. There are many reported instances and everyone's experience as to when this happens is almost identical. All cannot be pinned as "driver error". I faced the exact same situation, pulling into my garage (May, 2019). I followed up with Tesla and got the EDR data working with my insurance company. EDR data only shows the high RPM and pressure on the accelerator pedal but does not show where the input is coming from. I crashed the car against my garage wall and has not driven it since.
teslaModel3.jpg

Hey guys,

My Tesla crashed few days after I bought it. While I was driving my vehicle started making beeping sounds and asking me to stop near a stop sign.

I initially thought that my Tesla is detecting a stop sign and asking me to stop. However from my understanding Tesla doesn’t yet detect stop signs or traffic signal in Canada. It happened to me twice, 5 mins before the crash.

I pull my car and turn left on a friends drive way. I must be driving around 10km-15 km/hr. My car suddenly accelerated and rear -ended an SUV. My airbags were almost deployed. The impact was so strong that the suv moved and ramped into the garage door.

I read on the forums about Sudden unintended acceleration problems. However I don’t think I pressed the accelerator. I know in most cases they are saying it’s a user error. But I really need to find it out for my mental peace and to drive the car again.

This is really scary!

Is there a way to retrieve the car logs to Get more information about the acceleration? Is it possible to rent the EDR kit?

Note how many of these are "New Car" and when Parking.

Your feet have not burned in new muscle memory for the new car yet.

And I also bet most have Creep Off (begging for trouble).

Reactions: Falkirk and bijan
Clearly Tesla needs to add a camera in the footwell.

I do think that creep should be the default setting. Anyone know the normal rate of unintended acceleration accidents?

Some googling estimates 16,000 sudden acceleration accidents a year in the US where it is due to user error, no stats on when it is due to issues with the car. This is compared to about 6 million accidents in general per year (with 3 million injuries, and 30 to 40 thousand fatalities).

I don't have the post/thread link handy, but there's someone on this forum who's willing to lay out a $1,000-and-I-will-testify-at-my-expense bet to anyone willing to let him analyze the car's data after a (n alleged) uncommanded acceleration event, against $1,000 from the person making the claim. According to the last post from that guy I saw, there have been no takers.

I don't have the post/thread link handy, but there's someone on this forum who's willing to lay out a $1,000-and-I-will-testify-at-my-expense bet to anyone willing to let him analyze the car's data after a (n alleged) uncommanded acceleration event, against $1,000 from the person making the claim. According to the last post from that guy I saw, there have been no takers.
Calling @wk057...

Yes -- SUA problem is real and not imagined. There are many reported instances and everyone's experience as to when this happens is almost identical. All cannot be pinned as "driver error". I faced the exact same situation, pulling into my garage (May, 2019). I followed up with Tesla and got the EDR data working with my insurance company. EDR data only shows the high RPM and pressure on the accelerator pedal but does not show where the input is coming from. I crashed the car against my garage wall and has not driven it since.
View attachment 461770
Unintended Acceleration is a real problem, and of course everyone's experience is almost identical - when you press down on the accelerator the car accelerates.

Reactions: bolero and SigNC
Hey Guys,

So I was able to retrieve the dash cam data. Here is the link to the video. It is difficult to judge what exactly happened but you can clearly see the acceleration. Also, I thought Tesla had updated the software where if an object is detected in front it will not accelerate so much.
Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files
Acceleration occurred exactly where one would normally be pressing the brake. Your brain thought your foot was on the brake but it was actually on the accelerator.
I wouldn't be surprised if obstacle aware acceleration did reduce your acceleration into the car.

I got the ED
Yes -- SUA problem is real and not imagined. There are many reported instances and everyone's experience as to when this happens is almost identical. All cannot be pinned as "driver error". I faced the exact situation, pulling into my garage (May, 2019). I followed up with Tesla and got the EDR data working with my insurance company. EDR data only shows the high RPM and pressure on the accelerator pedal but does not show where the input is coming from. I crashed the car against my garage wall and has not driven it since.
View attachment 461770
--------------------------------
Here's a summary of what happened with my Tesla Model 3 car:
1. I turned right (almost 90 deg) from the road, into my driveway and slowed to a halt to park.
2. As I was waiting for the garage door to fully open, the car suddenly and violently accelerated and lurched forward.
3. I immediately jammed the brakes but could not stop before the car hit the wall to my left.
With great persistence, I have followed up with Tesla to get the EDR data and a letter from Tesla (based on their reading of the logs). I have attached both documents. If someone has plausible explanations, I would like to hear more.

Attachments

• Letter from TeslaDeidentified.pdf
    139.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Tesla Model 3 download results_DeIdentitified.pdf
    466.1 KB · Views: 98
I got the ED

--------------------------------
Here's a summary of what happened with my Tesla Model 3 car:
1. I turned right (almost 90 deg) from the road, into my driveway and slowed to a halt to park.
2. As I was waiting for the garage door to fully open, the car suddenly and violently accelerated and lurched forward.
3. I immediately jammed the brakes but could not stop before the car hit the wall to my left.
With great persistence, I have followed up with Tesla to get the EDR data and a letter from Tesla (based on their reading of the logs). I have attached both documents. If someone has plausible explanations, I would like to hear more.

According to the data log report, you car wasn’t at a stop when the accelerator was pressed. One plausible explanation is you pushed what you thought was the brake pedal to bring the car to a stop while your garage door opened. But what you actually pressed was the accelerator pedal. If you drive with regen on standard, your foot would have been on the accelerator pedal as you pulled into your driveway, slowing on regen. So a potentially easy mistake to make.

According to the data log report, you car wasn’t at a stop when the accelerator was pressed. One plausible explanation is you pushed what you thought was the brake pedal to bring the car to a stop while your garage door opened. But what you actually pressed was the accelerator pedal. If you drive with regen on standard, your foot would have been on the accelerator pedal as you pulled into your driveway, slowing on regen. So a potentially easy mistake to make.
-----------
Two problems with your explanations: 1) The car turned sharply to the left to hit the wall (there would be no reason for me to turn the wheel to the left to go straight into my garage). So even if I pressed the accelerator by mistake (as you claim) I should have gone straight into my garage; 2) I was already stopped -- so there was no need for me to press hard on the brake pedal at that time, although the data shows the accelerator pedal pressed to a peak of 78.8% (BTW Tesla's letter wrongly claims 88%). There are additional inconsistencies between the letter and the log data.