Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unknown Error BMS_a066

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my estimate from Tesla. Remove and replace HV battery. Free of charge.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230527_192702_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230527_192702_Samsung Notes.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 197
Just got this error today on my 2021 MY LR 19,400 miles, scheduled service appointment for Wednesday morning. Will post an update when they tell me what's going on.
update: received a phone call from the service center and they told me that they do not handle "such complex issues" there, and got re-scheduled for Friday afternoon at another location

update: received a phone call from the service center and they told me that they do not handle "such complex issues" there, and got re-scheduled for Friday afternoon at another location
received and approved the invoice, they are replacing the HV battery with the following part: HVBATTERY,E3,AWD,1-PHASE(1234422-00-A). Can anyone tell if this is a new or a refurbished battery?

Dropped off the car today at the service center, got a Model S as a loaner. The battery is in stock and the repair is expected to be completed by Tuesday.
The repairs were completed today instead of Tuesday. The SC could've been better at communicating the delay, but otherwise all is good. Having a loaner helped a great deal, and I parted with the super comfy MS with somewhat heavy heart 💘

Just got this same error a moment ago. ‘23 MYLR, 45-days old, about 1.4K miles, was using the supercharge first time last night for 20-mins. The car was preconditioning prior to the supercharge. All of sudden this error popped up. today. The driving ranges and performance have been good since day 1.

I’m scheduling the appointment with Tesla now.

Also got an error BMS_a066, scheduled appointment in 3 weeks, service did confirmed that battery will be replaced.
M3P
6 Nov 2021 with Panasonic pack
15k km.

For now lost around 10% for last 2 month

Last edited:
Just got this same error a moment ago. ‘23 MYLR, 45-days old, about 1.4K miles, was using the supercharge first time last night for 20-mins. The car was preconditioning prior to the supercharge. All of sudden this error popped up. today. The driving ranges and performance have been good since day 1.

I’m scheduling the appointment with Tesla now.
Just update. I was able to schedule the service appointment immediately after this message, and they promised me the loaner since this is the "critical" case for the battery/voltage error.

I was able to communicate with 2 separated Tesla advisors - One called me in the morning next day, the remote diagnosis didn't show any further error. And, it's rare to see such error in the "new" car. If the error never goes away, they will prepare to order the battery for me, and it might be "refurbished" one.

I called to one of Tesla service center and another advisor said this error should go away, since my car is still new, the EV is still balancing the battery. He asked me to charge the battery to Full when it's lower than 10%. My car should be fine if the error is gone, no mileage dropped, and EV doesn't stop me charge beyond 50%.

The error actually went away at night, on the same day. And, my battery/charging/mileage all seem to be normal.

I still went to the service appointment in the following day, and Tesla checked it for one-day. They told me my battery is fine. Alert is no longer present.

I got the BMS_a066 recently with 88k km on my 2021 Model Y LR and booked an SC appointment. I lost about 80km range with the error.

The Service Centre ran battery balancing for about 18 hours in the hope that was a bad balancing or a software glitch, but today they concluded, that the HV pack needs to be replaced.

I am outside Toronto, they say it is running 2-4 weeks for shipping HV replacement packs currently.
They got me a loaner car (2018 M3). They feel it is best to not drive the car with the battery issue and drained the battery to about 150km.

I have not got an estimate, but assume it will be mostly covered under the HV Battery warranty.

Here is the history of the battery and with the big drop at the end.

IMG_7915.JPG

Last edited:
My turn. Got bms_a066 2 days ago on the wife’s 2021 MYLR with 40k miles. Found an appointment in 2 days which is rare. On my Plaid they always provide Uber vouchers or a loaner depending on availability. No such thing stated on the service appointment but I have an extra car available so I’d be ok without it.

When I get to SC to drop it off the advisor tells me it’s likely a HV battery needing replacement but since they’ll need it for a few days to confirm they’d provide me a loaner. I didn’t need it or expect but I took it. It’s a Model 3 LR.

I’m kind of debating whether it’s better to have a battery with 40k mile degradation or a remanufactured battery but I guess it’s probably a wash in the end. Didn’t think to see what the 100% range before I took it in. After getting the error message I didn’t really notice any charging issues or range issues but I’m sure it was a matter of time.