Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unknowns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't know where else to post this, but interesting tidbit from USA today regarding the charge port:
And when you open it, it's not only circled in LED lights, but you can tell how much the car is charged by how many of them are lit.

I asked about this and it is wrong. The only difference between the S and the Roadster is they dropped the yellow color. all other features are the same. Green now flashes with speed of flash based on battery fullness. Light count does neot change.

The car plug by the way has an electromagnet to hold the charge plug in. The plug switch turns it off.

Great report! What would

mean? Quicker 0-60 times? I'm getting the performance version anyway so shouldn't make much difference just wondering what the motor change would mean since it will likely happen after I get my car.

That would affect top speed as opposed to 0-60 times. By upping RPM they can increase top end speed without changing anything else on the car. Otherwise you need to change the gear ratio, which would reduce 0-60 times, or install a transmission of some sort which would moot everything anyways.

Apparent no one has made a Model S plug to Roadster socket yet.

We shall see how this all plays out...Tesla told me that all Roadster charging equipment will be compatible with the Model S, and the Model S wall charger is really not necessary if you have a Roadster HPC. A lot of dual Roadster & Model S owners may end up with an extra charge cable.

I believe New Cable
001.JPG

Nope, 220/240 TS-70 from Clipper Creek.

Wouldn't it be wiser for Tesla to convert the existing TS-70's to the new format, and make the Roadster owners buy or provide them with an adapter for the new format connector rather than have two competing formats within their own fleet?

I'm sorry if this has already been asked. I tried to do a search but the results were so many that it was hard to look through to find the answer.

Does anyone know if the Model S will have heated seats? What about cooled seats? Also, does it have automatic rain sensor wipers?

Nope, 220/240 TS-70 from Clipper Creek.

Wouldn't it be wiser for Tesla to convert the existing TS-70's to the new format, and make the Roadster owners buy or provide them with an adapter for the new format connector rather than have two competing formats within their own fleet?

Not sure how I feel about this, most Tesla stores have 2 TS-70 stations. What Tesla should be doing is adding two additional charging stations (to these stores) with the Model S connector. Why force Roadster owners to purchase yet another adapter just to charge at the mall?

And another question I was wondering about: To get the advertised zero-to-sixty time in the Roadster you have to charge in Performance mode, which is not recommended. In the Model S is there a not-recommended performance mode that gives you the advertised acceleration, and a Standard mode (like in the Roadster) which gives you less than maximum range and less than maximum acceleration, but is better for battery longevity?
In the Roadster you also have to drive in Perf mode to unlock all of the power.

But for Model S, there is just Standard and Range mode. No Perf or Storage modes.

Yes, there is supposed to be an "adapter" for HPC owners to allow us to charge our S with the existing HPC. I have yet to see (or get the price) for said adapter. Not sure it will be a cable or just and adapter. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

In prototype form (orange cable as seen at Refuel races):
orange.jpg

The right angle on the Roadster end suggests that they just re-purposed some Roadster socket part for this instance.
So they are least testing them now.
Not sure if production will remain as a cable or if they will switch to a stubby adapter that fits the S charge port socket.

Thanks for keeping this thread going!

Can someone bring an iPod cable and iPhone to a test drive event. I wanna see what happens!

There are so many questions I would have loved to ask during the test drive, but once he said floor it, I forgot.