Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unknowns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about curb feelers? Does anybody remember curb feelers? My step-father's car in the 1950's had them. Simple, effective, low-tech solution. As a concession to the 21st century, they could be retractible.

I'd prefer side mirrors that tilt down when in Reverse. I doubt that the rear camera will be as useful for seeing how close the side of the car is to the curb.

But back on topic, one unknown for me is what map/gps functionality is there without the tech package? Still get up-to-date google maps with car position tracked on the map, but no turn by turn voice? What happens if you have tech package when the 7 years of updates runs out? Up to date when there is a 4g connection but not up to date when you are in the boonies?

I think I can answer that based on the 4 Model S Santana Row event. They're really slick and therefore easy to miss. The interior lights are tiny buttons which are also the light itself. You press the light to turn it on. They're smaller than a quarter but bigger than a nickel I think. (Did that description make any sense?)

I think these are the standard map lights...I believe the convenience lighting (part of the tech pack) is light emitted from below the "armrest" in the doors. I was at the NYC store checking out the beta there, and noticed it. It too is easy to miss in the daytime, but I assume looks pretty sharp at night when you need it! Not entirely sure this is it, or maybe there are more!

There are "convenience" lights on the edges of the front doors when open. This was confirmed by a rep.
IMG_0826.jpg

edit: sorry, the image is sideways. My first time attaching a portrait-oriented pic apparently, not sure how to change it.

Never had a car with front parking sensors and never felt the need for them. (I'm sure someone will post up examples though). I'm generally looking forward when the car is moving that way.

When you can't see what is below the hoodline, the front sensors become very useful. I appreciate them in my current car. I dislike the fact that my SUV doesn't have them.

-Can the automatic wipers be disabled?

Thanks for mentioning this; I hadn't noticed it and just read something about this elsewhere. It sounds like a manual override is standard, otherwise a little dirt will keep them going and damage the blades on a dry windshield. Is this right?

The concept of auto wipers is new to me and I don't like the idea; wipers, when not needed, are very distracting to me; more than picking my preferred intermittent setting or leaving off when the main part I'm looking through is clear. I can just see a few drops in the "wrong" spot, not interfering with my vision, triggering a random wipe. Also the auto-changing speed part would distract me.... (Yes I know I haven't experienced automatic wipers yet ;-) but I know what distracts me, which isn't necessarily the same as the next person.) Cars aren't smarter than humans and each human's different. /rant ;-)

Anyway, good Q, and my rambling aside, the specs page says "Rain sensing, adjustable" which I'm guessing means you can adjust the sensitivity and/or disable the rain sensing. Well, I'll hope it means at least the latter.

A few small items I was wondering about:
Do the seatbelts have adjustable upper anchor points, or are they otherwise comfortable for people of various sizes?
What does the horn sound like? (Other than Beep. Beep. :wink:) Customizable in any way?
For auto-unlocking doors, does it detect you are near a specific door and unlock that one, or does it just detect that you are near the car and unlock the driver's door (or all doors if you have it set that way). Does it unlock just the trunk/frunk if you are at that end of the car? What if two people with different fobs approach the car at the same time, on the driver and passenger sides? Do both doors unlock?

For the Homelink buttons, it would be cool if the car detected you were nearly home and automatically put the buttons on the screen in an easy to use place.

Another huge problem with not being able to turn rain sensing wipers off is if one wants to go through a car wash. I know that many will NEVER subject their Model S to such abuse, but some of us will from time to time and, if it's not possible to turn off the auto-wipers they'll just keep going in there.