Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlimited supercharging for performance model 3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can self refer if you are a Model 3 owner as well. I currently own a Model 3 Long Range RWD, and my Performance configuration / reservation is sitting in my account waiting for me to finalize...so I tested this theory knowing that it works for S and X owners, and it does indeed work for 3 owners as well. :)

-Shane
I tried and am still sitting at 0 referrals.
My oder was already at the "finalizing" stage.
When I click on my referral link, and select the Model 3, then "I already have an order", the page just punts me back to my Tesla account page.
I do not have a VIN yet.

If they treat you the same way they treated me with premium internet connectivity, you will be fine. In my case, they went by when I put the $2,500 down, and not the date that I upgraded from all wheel drive to P.

I just talk to my ISA and she said that they will honor the connectivity since I put my deposit on the 06/26 but she doesn't know about the supercharger and she is talking to her higher ups. I told her that I didn't understand how a world class company can't update orders instantly if they are submitted electronically; she said that they just have way too many order changes.

I really hope she can get me free supercharging. I asked her to fix my configuration on the 7/25 and asked her for updates on the 7/27 and 7/30. I also requested the standard customer service to fix my configuration on the 7/30 since it was not updated on my end.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
Are you guys arguing about if you get Free Supercharging for Performance orders that were previously made? Didn't they say on conference call yesterday that past and current orders do not need a referral to get it.

Last edited:
I just talk to my ISA and she said that they will honor the connectivity since I put my deposit on the 06/26 but she doesn't know about the supercharger and she is talking to her higher ups. I told her that I didn't understand how a world class company can't update orders instantly if they are submitted electronically; she said that they just have way too many order changes.

I really hope she can get me free supercharging. I asked her to fix my configuration on the 7/25 and asked her for updates on the 7/27 and 7/30. I also requested the standard customer service to fix my configuration on the 7/30 since it was not updated on my end.
Yea, if you've already placed your order, you're good. Look at it like this, if you're in a performance car, and you qualified for Premium Connectivity, you DEFINITELY qualify for Supercharging.

Since the non-free SC rates have gone up a lot lately, I wonder if there is any chance of them going down? In California they are $0.26/kWh which is double what I pay at home. I'm sure the utility companies are charging Tesla dearly due to the high demand rates. But Tesla has the goal of converting them to solar and storage which ought to significantly buy down the multi year amortized cost per kWh.... Anybody see SC rates coming down?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I tried and am still sitting at 0 referrals.
My oder was already at the "finalizing" stage.
When I click on my referral link, and select the Model 3, then "I already have an order", the page just punts me back to my Tesla account page.
I do not have a VIN yet.

Mine was a little different since I haven't actually finalized it. Once I clicked "I have a Model 3 reservation", it took me back to my Tesla Account page, at which point I had to choose which reservation I wanted to "Manage". I have two vehicles in my account, one being my current RWD Long Range Model, and the other being my second reservation. Next, I chose "Manage" for my open reservation, at which point it told me that Unlimited Supercharging was applied by referral, and to "Design Now". You can also see on the last screen grab / Summary page, that it notes..."Unlimited Supercharging - Shane's referral code gives you free, unlimited Supercharging with your new Model 3 Performance.".

...here are some visual references:

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 1.30.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 1.31.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 1.31.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 1.31.41 PM.png

I hope this helps. Cheers!

-Shane

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
Mine was a little different since I haven't actually finalized it. Once I clicked "I have a Model 3 reservation", it took me back to my Tesla Account page, at which point I had to choose which reservation I wanted to "Manage". I have two vehicles in my account, one being my current RWD Long Range Model, and the other being my second reservation. Next, I chose "Manage" for my open reservation, at which point it told me that Unlimited Supercharging was applied by referral, and to "Design Now". You can also see on the last screen grab / Summary page, that it notes..."Unlimited Supercharging - Shane's referral code gives you free, unlimited Supercharging with your new Model 3 Performance.".

...here are some visual references:

View attachment 322509 View attachment 322510 View attachment 322511 View attachment 322512

I hope this helps. Cheers!

-Shane
I thought all existing Performance orders (pre-8/1) were getting free limited Supercharging.
I am in that pre-August group, so that is the difference. I already have Supercharging (I assume, cannot see), so I really just ant that self-referral.

I guess I need to call them (like a caveman, snicker-snicker) about the self-referral part.

I thought all existing Performance orders (pre-8/1) were getting free limited Supercharging.
I am in that pre-August group, so that is the difference. I already have Supercharging (I assume, cannot see), so I really just ant that self-referral.

I guess I need to call them (like a caveman, snicker-snicker) about the self-referral part.

That is correct, ALL pre-8/1 Performance orders automatically receive free Unlimited Supercharging. You're good to go! :)

-Shane

Reactions: e-FTW
I don't worry about it. This is for P 3s only, and only for the original owners. Do you know what percentage of the 3 fleet will be Ps? Me either, but it's low. And most of those won't choose to Supercharge just to save a few dollars.

The vast majority of the full 3 fleet will pay for Supercharging and therefore the percentage of owners who Supercharge to save a few bucks will be slim
From the day the 3 was introduced until now, Tesla has consistently stated that 3 owners would pay for electrons. How do you know only a small percentage will pay? Even before the 3, Tesla has changed, stopped and started free Supercharger access incentives like a yo-yo. Why would anyone think the same thing won’t happen now that 3 is in the free program? Now that some 3 owners have free access what happens when tax credits disappear and sales slow?

I have an S and a 3 and honestly wish all S and X owners paid for Supercharger use. (Yes, I know my S price supposedly had the Supercharger lifetime access embedded, but that’s just sales BS and doesn’t do anything to expand and later maintain the infrastructure as it ages.)

I’d like to see the Supercharger network boom to match sales growth, but wonder if the latest move is a good indication the Supercharger network growth will eventually slow to a crawl. If you look at Supercharge.info you already will see far less construction and openings in July than June so maybe that is already happening — at the worst time.

Last edited:
  • Funny
I'm not sure what you're asking. Picture 500,000 Model 3s with free Supercharging, and what that would do to availability. It's not going to happen, because Tesla isn't stupid.

As for the P trim, no, I don't have a stat for this car specifically as it's not something Tesla publishes. But the general stat for cars is that each $5k drop in price doubles addressable market. A trim that costs $11k more, and will probably be effectively more than that through required bundled options (eg AWD) will be chosen by a small percentage of buyers.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Picture 500,000 Model 3s with free Supercharging, and what that would do to availability. It's not going to happen, because Tesla isn't stupid.

As for the P trim, no, I don't have a stat for this car specifically as it's not something Tesla publishes. But the general stat for cars is that each $5k drop in price doubles addressable market. A trim that costs $11k more, and will probably be effectively more than that through required bundled options (eg AWD) will be chosen by a small percentage of buyers.
I can picture 500k model 3's with free supercharging.....especially when the level 3 chargers come online that will get you to 80% in 10 minutes.

There is no way that all 500k will be charging at the same time across 1135 world wide supercharger location @ approx. 8 per location. That's around 10k superchargers as it stands today. - not including all of the free destination chargers.

That's plenty - and they aren't even done. .

• Funny