Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlock Charge Port - Idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish there was a setting you could turn on that unlocked your charge port on completion of charging, it annoys me that with a car that is so automated that every time I walk up to it I have to either get my phone out and open the app or lean inside to press unlock charge port when charging is complete then go back round and remove the cable.

Maybe it could be set to do it when you unlock the car. I would think it would be an idea to have this as a setting you could turn on/off with personal preference.

Am I just lazy?

Reactions: Simonsquiff
It’s actually stop charge/unlock charge connector that’s needed as unlock charge port is actually implemented by tapping the charge port when car is unlocked.

This is the reason why many buy the Tesla wall connector as it has ‘the button’. Various work arounds people have posted over the years.

Several companies sell unlock charge port fobs but they do only that and do not stop charge/unlock charge connector which is the feature they are really after.

IIRC they modified behaviour of DC rapid charging (non Tesla as supercharger has ‘the button’) but I’ve never used a non Tesla rapid since that was implemented.

All the while Tesla sell a TWC with ‘the button’ they are unlikely to change the functionality for domestic charging.

Last edited:
But they usually lock at both ends during a charge.
Siri shortcut on the phone works for me.

It’s not only to stop people walking away with your cable, but also for tethered ones, to stop ICE drivers with a grudge from unplugging a row of cars at random.

Siri shortcut on the phone works for me.

It’s not only to stop people walking away with your cable, but also for tethered ones, to stop ICE drivers with a grudge from unplugging a row of cars at random.
I just posted above, why not use your phone location to unlock, I would much rather this than the automatic boot.

It’s trivial to set up an Apple short cut routine that stops charging and then unlocks the charge port without paying for any third party software. You can probably do it on android too. Once you've the shortcut you can either just ask Siri to do it, add it to an Apple Watch and do it via that or set up some automation to do it for you like running at 6am every morning.

It’s trivial to set up an Apple short cut routine that stops charging and then unlocks the charge port without paying for any third party software. You can probably do it on android too. Once you've the shortcut you can either just ask Siri to do it, add it to an Apple Watch and do it via that or set up some automation to do it for you like running at 6am every morning.
I programmed the action button on the side of my iPhone to run an Apple shortcut. Mine is to open the boot but it could do anything one wanted. I also have Apple Watch for Tesla as a complication on my Apple Watch.

Reactions: trigger2007

When charging, both ends will be locked. So some ICE driver unplugging isn't an issue.
The question here is about being able to unlock once the charge is complete. And actually I've had situations where this might be super helpful - eg two cars sharing one charger at a B&B. I could just unplug the other car in the morning and get mine on the charger. (They were late risers)

I *think* the problem is that there is no way for a car to tell if the charger is tethered (Moving the cable after charge is desirable) or untethered (Your cable gets nicked)

When charging, both ends will be locked. So some ICE driver unplugging isn't an issue.
The question here is about being able to unlock once the charge is complete. And actually I've had situations where this might be super helpful - eg two cars sharing one charger at a B&B. I could just unplug the other car in the morning and get mine on the charger. (They were late risers)

I *think* the problem is that there is no way for a car to tell if the charger is tethered (Moving the cable after charge is desirable) or untethered (Your cable gets nicked)
Yes it's the issue but on the other hand, there aren't many scenarios, even if you're sharing a charger, where you would have enough room / cable length so you could unplug the 'full' car and plug yours instead.
Plus there would be some etiquette issues with some drivers I'm sure.
So I guess locking the cable in place no matter what seems the safest solution.

I guess some tethered stalls could actually implement a button to unlock the port from the car end by breaking the circuit for a couple seconds (it's the way the Tesla button does it on SCs). But if nobody implemented it it's because I guess there are more cons than pros for that argument.

At least for my use case, I have a Siri shortcut that both unlocks the cable and pops the frunk, so I can store my cable in place if untethered, or for simple disconnects, I use either the touchscreen or the app in under 5seconds...

Which shortcut unlocks the cable as I only have "Open/Close charge port" which is different to releasing the cable.

1716456349658.png

Yes it's the issue but on the other hand, there aren't many scenarios, even if you're sharing a charger, where you would have enough room / cable length so you could unplug the 'full' car and plug yours instead.
Plus there would be some etiquette issues with some drivers I'm sure.
So I guess locking the cable in place no matter what seems the safest solution.

I guess some tethered stalls could actually implement a button to unlock the port from the car end by breaking the circuit for a couple seconds (it's the way the Tesla button does it on SCs). But if nobody implemented it it's because I guess there are more cons than pros for that argument.

At least for my use case, I have a Siri shortcut that both unlocks the cable and pops the frunk, so I can store my cable in place if untethered, or for simple disconnects, I use either the touchscreen or the app in under 5seconds...
I think etiquette wise, if you're leaving a charging cable locked when you're finished charging, you're the problem. The Tesla destination chargers will generally cover a couple of bays, but you're probably right that there won't be a huge number of scenarios.