Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unpopular Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone!

I just picked up my 2015 Model S 85D on Friday so I am still in the honeymoon phase with the car. Forgive the question if it seems a bit silly.

Why does everyone seem to have so many issues with the lack of updates on a daily basis and have some (in my opinion) unrealistic outlooks on a company?

I understand Elon has made many many promises over the years and things like what is included with FSD has changed. However, the car is an amazing car and does things that many of the other high end manufacturers just dont do.

I assume I will be getting a whirlwind of people explaining what their problem is with numerous things about the car, Tesla as a company, or Elon.

From where I'm sitting, it seems like these forums are just for people to complain about petty issues that would be disregarded if this were any other manufacturer.

I hope no one takes offense, but I'm sure this will ruffle a few feathers.
The funniest thing is that everyone on this forum is always busting to get the latest updates.
But the vast majority of Tesla owners don't spend their time on this sort of forum, and find updates a nuisance.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
The funniest thing is that everyone on this forum is always busting to get the latest updates.
But the vast majority of Tesla owners don't spend their time on this sort of forum, and find updates a nuisance.
When it comes to updates, I'm on this forum to find out what the next update is going to break, or some brain fart idea Tesla implemented which will cause my car to behave differently than before and cause damage. I update purely for security updates - this is an always connected device and the consequences of it getting hacked are much higher than a phone or a laptop. Even though I've had v9 for a while now, still hate it every time I have to use it - it took away functionality (browser is dead now, can't pick what app I have on top), made it harder to use (smaller buttons a lot farther away from line of sight while driving, combined with deeper menu levels required to do the same things v8 did), and gave me no useful features as I don't care about fart mode and such (there was one, minor feature which I would have considered useful - ability to turn on heated steering wheel and seats from the app - except it doesn't work on my car, the app says the steering wheel is on, the car even says so, yet the steering wheel is cold until I turn it off and back on in the car, same for seats. I did get it to work once, not sure how, I guess that's Tesla software reliability for you, works once in a blue moon). If I could have the latest v8 back and only get security fixes, I would opt for that.

Reactions: Droschke
Its like this... For awhile, S owners felt like the only child. We got all the attention. Now there is a new baby in the family(model 3), and we're feeling neglected. It stings to still be considered the "flagship" model, but we've been getting the new features(software updates) last, if at all. I'm still skeptical if the Model S will ever be able to get sentry mode.

Im new to Tesla, indeed a vehicle with any form of electric motor, awaiting delivery of a Model X sometime hopefuly in May.

Im incredibly interested in the forums, and find myself reading them at all times of day.

What strikes me as vastly different here compared to any forum or customer base for other manufacturers is the discussion about upcoming features and improvements.

To me, this is like walking into a parallel universe. Ive always just bought a car, it comes with a set of features and specifications that I read in the online or printed brochure that I picked up from the dealer. I had it a couple of years or more and when I sold it, it had the same features and specification as the day I picked it up.

It just seems incredible that I can buy a car, and a few months later wake up one morning and my car now accelerates faster, or it now has a built in dash cam that it didn't have yesterday, or its now safer to leave my dog in when I pop to the shop.

It feels more like Im part of a forum for piece of software that is continually evolving, it just so happens this software is bundled with a car.

Its weird, its different, its fun and I cant wait to take delivery and be part of it properly.

I've always wondered. Since the Model 3 gets the updates first (normally). Does that mean it is more so the test bed for features? There are more model 3's on the road than Model S's (I would assume) so wouldn't that make sense to test it on the, lets be honest, cheaper car than the "flagship"?

It's a nice theory but unfortunately there is the downside of some updates rendering functions that used to work inoperable, nobody likes that happening.

Yeah, like when I was a kid......younger kid than now......on my birthday.....sometimes I got cool toys ...and sometimes I got argyle socks that my mom made me wear. "..nobody likes that happening". However I still looked forward to birthday presents, and I fussed to get them as early as possible. Even the eventual, occasional argyle socks.

I chalk this up to internet anonymity, and social media norms. Tesla is one of the few car companies where an exec actually engages with customers directly, and some people are abusing it. Being anonymous emboldens some people to act in an uncivil manner, and it's a shame because they would never do it in person. This is the case with people raving how they were ripped off with the price changes. It's like buying anything, sometimes if you're patient you'll get the good deal. I think people are especially mad in this case because FSD is vapor for now, but the risk of buying it early was obvious. Elon being on a twitter helps and hurts. Twitter is can attract highly opinionated yet mostly ignorant people, and combine that with anonymity and it's a recipe for disaster. On the plus side Elon being on twitter is a fun outlet for customers to engage with him, and it makes the company much more personable.

Sentry Mode and that red light thing deployed today in my 2018 100D. Personally I'd just as soon be at the end of any updates. And I'm not new to this. This is my second Model S. I hardly ever use any of the fancy new features. It's great to have them but I'd never break a leg over them. I do frequently read the forums as it is where I learn about features and functionality having never read the manual and without any plans to ever. That said, threads set aside for just this very role of teaching each other about features and functionality are most helpful but indeed invariably some genius comes along and thread ****s those too.

Hey everyone!

I just picked up my 2015 Model S 85D on Friday so I am still in the honeymoon phase with the car. Forgive the question if it seems a bit silly.

Why does everyone seem to have so many issues with the lack of updates on a daily basis and have some (in my opinion) unrealistic outlooks on a company?

I understand Elon has made many many promises over the years and things like what is included with FSD has changed. However, the car is an amazing car and does things that many of the other high end manufacturers just dont do.

I assume I will be getting a whirlwind of people explaining what their problem is with numerous things about the car, Tesla as a company, or Elon.

From where I'm sitting, it seems like these forums are just for people to complain about petty issues that would be disregarded if this were any other manufacturer.

These are not cheap cars, so it is expected that their owners would be accustomed to a certain level of perfectionism. And, of course, no car is perfect, not even the million dollar+ models. So, your point is valid to a degree. However, more importantly, I think Elon sometimes assumes too much of a visionary role and not enough of a business leader role. What I mean is that he over promises and under delivers, or breaks people's chops when it does not happen. As an example, don't call it 'Autopilot', if its really driver assisted steering. A business leader/manager would take a more conservative approach to under promise and over deliver, thus exceeding expectations even though imperfections exist, as they always will. I totally understand why a new company, always on the verge of bankruptcy, would always feel threatened and needing to keep customers excited. But, at this point, Tesla has proven its point and other manufacturers are paying the ultimate compliment by copying them. So, its time to breathe, under promise, and over deliver so that customers can be realistically giddy about their Tesla driving experience.

I am a software engineer and have been writing commercial software for over 35 years. I am used to an iPhone where when Apple released the latest software, it is available for anyone to download on that date, not whenever the company would like to send out that update to me. I prefer that the update be more like Apple and less like Android where the update to the latest android can sometimes take 6 months to get to me if I have an android phone.

I have released software where we did targeted releases because of specific functionality, etc. But in the end we would not announce publicly the new feature until everyone has access to it.

OTOH, Tesla seems to promise the world with software updates, telling us all how great they will be, but in the end we do not get them until a long time after they have been announced.

This is why people like me are not happy with the current situation.

Furthermore I have a lot of referrals that have been delivered. Because of this I am eligible for earlier access to software. I have still not received anything beyond 2018.50.6 on my late 2016 Model S. Therefore I am not getting early access to software as I was promised.

Reactions: pilotSteve and BBMc
Hey everyone!

This is exactly the forum to air complaints. It is only for Tesla owners and what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, hopefully. Plus, we have no problem ridiculing the ridiculous.

Hey everyone!

I prefer that the update be more like Apple and less like Android where the update to the latest android can sometimes take 6 months to get to me if I have an android phone.
I'd prefer some parts of the MCU became open source (I understand that will never happen). I run an open source version of Android on my phone, I have the choice of nightly builds to install, yes, every day there is a new update! I can't ask for better than that.
So yes you are right about Tesla being like an OEM Android phone in that the updates can take forever and it is pot luck if your device even gets an update. The open source Android I run is better than anything any OEM has produced.

I'd prefer some parts of the MCU became open source (I understand that will never happen). I run an open source version of Android on my phone, I have the choice of nightly builds to install, yes, every day there is a new update! I can't ask for better than that.
So yes you are right about Tesla being like an OEM Android phone in that the updates can take forever and it is pot luck if your device even gets an update. The open source Android I run is better than anything any OEM has produced.
If you screw up you phone software, you buy a new one. If you screw up your own car software, damage can be much greater including people can die.

I didn't mean full access to everything which is why I said "some parts", I meant limited access, such as the media player, phone interface, much like an app on your iPhone can't do any damage to the core OS, they could have a similar set up with the GUI on the MCU. Tesla can't seem to get this stuff working well.