Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unsold Model 3 sitting in lot awaiting buyers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not weird, it's normal. Even during periods of high demand for new cars the big automakers have hundreds of thousands of unsold cars sitting on dealership lots around the country. The only difference is the manufacturer no longer owns them, the dealers do (or their finance companies). Tesla STILL can't keep up with demand.

You point out the biggest issue with Tesla taking this approach though. For traditional OEM's, the dealerships are the ones incurring the inventory cost. For Tesla, it's themselves that have to eat the inventory cost. We know there are likely hundreds, if not thousands of Model 3 sitting in lots around the country, which means Tesla is paying to park these cars in addition to money they spent to make them. I think it would have been better if Tesla build to order, or keep very small inventory in the event that someone must have the car right away.

You point out the biggest issue with Tesla taking this approach though. For traditional OEM's, the dealerships are the ones incurring the inventory cost. For Tesla, it's themselves that have to eat the inventory cost. We know there are likely hundreds, if not thousands of Model 3 sitting in lots around the country, which means Tesla is paying to park these cars in addition to money they spent to make them. I think it would have been better if Tesla build to order, or keep very small inventory in the event that someone must have the car right away.

It costs more to build to order than it does to have the car sit around a few days. I think you are trying to find a problem where there is not one. There are very few unsold Model 3's in the country, and they are not always in the right place depending upon the color and other options a particular buyer may want. if they had a few more sitting around their US sales would actually go up due to spontaneous sales. Instead, they are shipping them to Europe and China as fast as they can build them.

If there were 250,000 people still on a wait list and demand is >>> supply, how is it I can order any variation and get it next week?

This has been adequately answered in the posts above and so I hope you don't keep asking again.

TLDR:

- 400k WW reservations: 200k US + 200k ROW.
- 200K US reservations: 100k high priced models + 100K $35k model
- 100K high priced waiting list is now empty, all sold out. So you can walk out and pick up a LR or MR from the lot.
- 100K $35K models, I am guessing over half dropped out and half remaining.

Result - there are a few hundred LR & MR cars that are in the inventory that one can buy, if it is of the right trim for you.

- Now on the 200K ROW waiting list, no idea how much is left. I am guessing around half is still left that is around 100K waiting for LR/MR/SR.

In essence, that 400K reservation list gave Tesla an idea that people really badly want this car , but not necessarily that all 400k will be ready to buy 3 years later. In fact I would think that if they had started selling all 3 variants, LR/MR/SR the very next month in 2016, all 400k would have bought it.

Hopefully now you understand why that reservation list makes no sense any more?

But if you are still not satisfied, you can check with Toilet Mark and Latrine Life.

It seems like currently they could still use more new inventory builds since I ordered my black MR with Aero wheels 3 weeks ago and they still haven't been able to match me to a new car and I'm 15mins from Fremont so it shouldn't be a location issue.

It seems like currently they could still use more new inventory builds since I ordered my black MR with Aero wheels 3 weeks ago and they still haven't been able to match me to a new car and I'm 15mins from Fremont so it shouldn't be a location issue.

It's my understanding that all current production is allocated to Europe delivery. So if the model you want isn't sitting in a lot right now, it's not gonna happen until March. Being close to Fremont doesn't help because the vehicles coming out of the plant aren't for US consumption.

At least that's how I understand things... please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

It's my understanding that all current production is allocated to Europe delivery. So if the model you want isn't sitting in a lot right now, it's not gonna happen until March. Being close to Fremont doesn't help because the vehicles coming out of the plant aren't for US consumption.

At least that's how I understand things... please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

The only way to find out for sure is to call up your local delivery center with an idea of what you want and ask them. But I do think Model 3's will be in somewhat spotty supply in the US for the next few months. There's a hell of a lot of pent up demand in Europe and Asia for some time to come.

Reactions: pipestem
It took some scripting to track and store the VINs. I thought about building up a website with a vehicle selector but realised I do not have the time to build and especially support such thing.
Tesla has currently more than 7000 inventory vehicles for sale. I could post all the links, but that would probably be too much to be helpful for you. But if could tell me trim, paint, interior, wheels and locations I could give you some links.
These are the locations and the inventory for sale:

1175 Fremont-Fremont Boulevard
580 Marina Del Rey-Alla Road
491 Costa Mesa Sales & Delivery
338 Sacramento-Rocklin
267 Tacoma-AWC-HUB
260 Dedham
228 Springfield
225 Littleton
219 San Diego-6495 Marindustry Place
191 Tysons Corner-Tyco Road
187 Westchester-Mt. Kisco
165 Bellevue-20th Street
160 Portland-SW Macadam Avenue
144 Tempe-E. University Drive
142 Chicago-Westmont
106 Seattle-SoDo
106 Rockville
105 South Salt Lake City-S. State Street
101 Americana Manhasset
99 Devon Service Plus
97 Alpharetta
86 San Francisco-Van Ness
85 Minneapolis-Eden Prairie
77 Cherry Hill
77 Cleveland-Lyndhurst
77 Tampa-Florida Ave
72 Chicago-Highland Park
70 Houston-North
67 Gigafactory
66 Baltimore-Owning's Mills
66 Santa Barbara-Hitchcock Way
64 Chicago-West Grand Avenue
64 Paramus-Route 17
61 Austin-Pond Springs
60 Raleigh-2424 S Wilmington Street
57 Dallas-Cedar Springs Road
52 Kansas City-Manchester
50 Nashville-Brentwood
50 Indianapolis Service
48 Cincinnati Blue Ash Service Plus
46 Charlotte-Matthews
45 Plano-5800 Democracy Drive
45 St. Louis-University City
44 Burlingame
40 Orlando-Eatonville
35 Pittsburgh-Wexford
34 West Palm Beach
30 Dania Beach
29 Jacksonville
29 Brooklyn-Van Brunt Street
27 Las Vegas-W. Sahara Ave
27 Columbus-Morse Road
22 Atlanta-Decatur
21 Richmond-Glen Allen
20 Coral Gables
19 San Antonio-Dominion
19 Honolulu-746 Auahi Street
17 Buena Park Service Plus
14 Burbank
14 Dublin-Amador Plaza
10 Palm Springs-Cathedral City
4 NA-US-CA-San Rafael
4 Monterey-Seaside
3 San Jose-Santana Row
3 Los Angeles-Centinela
3 Tampa
2 Los Angeles-Van Nuys
2 Palo Alto
2 Fremont-Direct Delivery
2 Broadway Plaza
2 San Rafael
1 Hawthorne

It took some scripting to track and store the VINs. I thought about building up a website with a vehicle selector but realised I do not have the time to build and especially support such thing.
Tesla has currently more than 7000 inventory vehicles for sale. I could post all the links, but that would probably be too much to be helpful for you. But if could tell me trim, paint, interior, wheels and locations I could give you some links.

338 Sacramento-Rocklin
267 Tacoma-AWC-HUB
260 Dedham
228 Springfield
225 Littleton
165 Bellevue-20th Street
142 Chicago-Westmont
106 Seattle-SoDo
106 Rockville
101 Americana Manhasset
99 Devon Service Plus
97 Alpharetta
77 Cherry Hill
77 Cleveland-Lyndhurst
77 Tampa-Florida Ave
72 Chicago-Highland Park
70 Houston-North
67 Gigafactory
64 Paramus-Route 17
61 Austin-Pond Springs
50 Nashville-Brentwood
50 Indianapolis Service
46 Charlotte-Matthews
44 Burlingame
40 Orlando-Eatonville
35 Pittsburgh-Wexford
34 West Palm Beach
30 Dania Beach
29 Jacksonville
27 Columbus-Morse Road
22 Atlanta-Decatur
21 Richmond-Glen Allen
20 Coral Gables
19 San Antonio-Dominion
14 Burbank
14 Dublin-Amador Plaza
4 NA-US-CA-San Rafael
4 Monterey-Seaside
3 San Jose-Santana Row
3 Los Angeles-Centinela
3 Tampa
2 Los Angeles-Van Nuys
2 Palo Alto
2 Broadway Plaza
2 San Rafael
1 Hawthorne

@vande76 that is awesome! :) Any way you would share the scripts? I would be happy to contribute to them. Maybe we could stick them in a public github repo and work on them together? I will send you a DM.

338 Sacramento-Rocklin
267 Tacoma-AWC-HUB
260 Dedham
228 Springfield
225 Littleton
165 Bellevue-20th Street
142 Chicago-Westmont
106 Seattle-SoDo
106 Rockville
101 Americana Manhasset
99 Devon Service Plus
97 Alpharetta
77 Cherry Hill
77 Cleveland-Lyndhurst
77 Tampa-Florida Ave
72 Chicago-Highland Park
70 Houston-North
67 Gigafactory
64 Paramus-Route 17
61 Austin-Pond Springs
50 Nashville-Brentwood
50 Indianapolis Service
46 Charlotte-Matthews
44 Burlingame
40 Orlando-Eatonville
35 Pittsburgh-Wexford
34 West Palm Beach
30 Dania Beach
29 Jacksonville
27 Columbus-Morse Road
22 Atlanta-Decatur
21 Richmond-Glen Allen
20 Coral Gables
19 San Antonio-Dominion
14 Burbank
14 Dublin-Amador Plaza
4 NA-US-CA-San Rafael
4 Monterey-Seaside
3 San Jose-Santana Row
3 Los Angeles-Centinela
3 Tampa
2 Los Angeles-Van Nuys
2 Palo Alto
2 Broadway Plaza
2 San Rafael
1 Hawthorne

While I don't doubt your findings, I can guarantee you that Marina Del Rey does not have 600 cars at that location. They might be storing them elsewhere, but I would be very surprised if they even were capable of storing 600 vehicles on the actual premises.