Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone earlier in the thread pointed out the choice of "product unveiling" (vs. "product announcement") in the phrasing of the tweet. Props to that person, sorry I didn't dig up your post and flag it as informative.

Tesla product unveiling on the 17th (unexpected by most), followed by Tesla/SolarCity on the 28th
  • unveiling not announcement (i.e. something already announced or at least teased, but thus far not revealed/unveiled)
  • Tesla/SolarCity later, thus it's unlikely to be merger related, or consumer/business energy/power related
  • it's not a capital raise or other financial move
  • it's not hiring/firing unless they're revealing Tesla Employee 1.0 robots

Long before this tweet I had assumed the Model 3 unveil/reveal #2 would be in 2016 and ideally well before the Thanksgiving holidays so as not collide directly with the holiday activity and the flooded product announcement market for consumer eyeballs. Have it in October, at least a couple weeks before Halloween and the shopping march to Christmas and New Year's. Also, ideally you want all the fanatics to have everything memorized in time to have effective "socializing" of Tesla to friends and family over the holidays.

As such, I think it aligns with my previous expectations, phrasing of the tweet, and some current/popular predictions for it to be the following:
1. 2nd reveal/unveil of Model 3 including: (maybe) slightly updated nose, interior including instrument cluster + center screen
2. show off the new autopilot+autonomous capabilities are currently planned (but hopefully, please Elon!, not promising a date for autonomous yet... just AP improvements)
3. give us a taste of that cockpit/spaceship experience previously teased, probably including HUD

^ Rational guess

V Irrational guess
"Model 3 generation" seats that fold completely flat for napping while in autonomous mode, with adjustable pillow and alarm clock app for the main display.

except you just now...
image.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Just thougt of a thing. Still belive it's AP 2, (we kind of knew that would come) but what if......... drum.drum.drum
It combines more radar, more camera's AND Lidar. Elon earlier said Lidar has some disadvantages, but maybe they work good combined. That would be "unexpected by most"

This seems the most likely speculation: Tesla is about to increase its lead in semi-autonomous driving w/ ‘Tesla Vision’: computer vision based on NVIDIA’s parallel computing

If this turns out to be correct, it's pretty significant. Probably won't roll out as quickly as some may wish, but significant nonetheless.
I don't think this is it only because they would have to already be putting it into cars. Otherwise there would be cancellations and people holding off a purchase until the new hardware was already going into the cars.

Iron Man metal suit is the 3rd highest in the poll, haha. Looks like there are real world demand there, and consumer wants to buy it.
Since this option was likely meant to be tongue-in-cheek, perhaps those who chose this option viewed it as a surrogate for "I don't know what the unveiling will be about", rather than as an expression of a genuine desire for such a suit?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mjølner