Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP2 is a feature, not a product
Well, it's a product in the sense that you can buy it as a separate option, or choose not to buy it. But I'm sure AP 2.0 is not what Elon referred to.
I'm expecting true surprise.
Agreed, I think it is going to be something that Tesla is not currently offering at all and that almost no one anticipated being offered in 2017, as opposed to an extension of something they currently offer, like AP.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Well, it's a product in the sense that you can buy it as a separate option, or choose not to buy it. But I'm sure AP 2.0 is not what Elon referred to.
Agreed, I think it is going to be something that Tesla is not currently offering at all and that almost no one anticipated being offered in 2017, as opposed to an extension of something they currently offer, like AP.

That's what I think, and also hope for. Just to put all the AP2.0 conspiracy theorists to rest already.

It's to the point where if Elon farts twice instead of once, that means AP 2.0 is being released.

(I'm not saying that it's not an AP announcement, since that is within the realm of feasible new things, it's just that a lot of people will take any tiny shred of data and spin it into an 'AP2.0 is coming' argument).

That's why I was thinking CCS adapter. Something they said they'd do when the time was right, and I don't think that it'd be a big deal to do given all the work on the CHAdeMO adapter. (I know CCS is not CAN-based, but the CCS adapter would share a bunch of the same principles). Although, now I'm not really sure whether they'd really "unveil" something like that.

Another alternative would be related to home charging like a smart HPWC, wireless charger, or my personal favorite would be following up on the 4-plug L2 patent to produce a turnkey solution for MDU lot parking.

I really hate to betray the confidence of my inside source at Tesla, but I have some *very* solid information about the exciting new product they'll be announcing next week .....

tesla_shoes.jpg

I think the X60D disappearing has something to do with Oct 17th unveiling. How about a specially designed X2, with 60D, for the masses. Make it a truly practical vehicle for the soccer moms! 200mile range would still be sufficient, but it needs to be "simple", not fancy. This will get many of the odessy/sienna folks to buy a $60K (that includes 6 or 7 seats) X2 instead of a $45K (loaded) odessey/sienna.

What to fix?
(1) drop the expensive and embarassing (to many) gullwing doors. The kids are getting embarassed waiting for the gullwings to open up (10-15seconds, and another 10-15secs to close) while other parents are waiting to clear the drop zone. My kids have warned me against getting X - if I do get it, then they want me to park the car and walk with them to school (or they will get out the front door, or the back door...).

(2) Drop the expensive long windshields. Expensive to fix. Insurance can go up just for some of these items.

(3) Many women are intimidated by the big 17in screen - at least many that I have talked to. Bring the Model 3's screen to this X2 (looks like a manageable dashboard).

(4) Perhaps make 2nd and 3rd as bench seats, so one can actually fit 8 people (man - minivans are known for people hauling) - take all objections out.

Basically, have the essential gizmos there if someone wants to fiddle with them, but otherwise, just make them work for the 80-90% of the moms that just want to get their work done and do their errands and not let a complicated and large vehicle scare them away. Musk's original desire of X as a minivan killer - make it happen with X2.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Cloxxki and 1208
What to fix?

I totally agree with (1) and (2). Make the MX the SUV it's supposed to be and appeal to many more people/families. Get rid of the expensive and gadgety extras.

I find (3) a bit of an odd observation. I haven't seen that at all. But I guess they could make a smaller screen MX for women and call it the Model XX, and have the large screen for men and call it the Model XY.

(that was joke for the sarcasm impaired).

What are your source(s) for #3?

I think the X60D disappearing has something to do with Oct 17th unveiling. How about a specially designed X2, with 60D, for the masses. Make it a truly practical vehicle for the soccer moms! 200mile range would still be sufficient, but it needs to be "simple", not fancy. This will get many of the odessy/sienna folks to buy a $60K (that includes 6 or 7 seats) X2 instead of a $45K (loaded) odessey/sienna.

What to fix?
(1) drop the expensive and embarassing (to many) gullwing doors. The kids are getting embarassed waiting for the gullwings to open up (10-15seconds, and another 10-15secs to close) while other parents are waiting to clear the drop zone. My kids have warned me against getting X - if I do get it, then they want me to park the car and walk with them to school (or they will get out the front door, or the back door...).

(2) Drop the expensive long windshields. Expensive to fix. Insurance can go up just for some of these items.

(3) Many women are intimidated by the big 17in screen - at least many that I have talked to. Bring the Model 3's screen to this X2 (looks like a manageable dashboard).

(4) Perhaps make 2nd and 3rd as bench seats, so one can actually fit 8 people (man - minivans are known for people hauling) - take all objections out.

Basically, have the essential gizmos there if someone wants to fiddle with them, but otherwise, just make them work for the 80-90% of the moms that just want to get their work done and do their errands and not let a complicated and large vehicle scare them away. Musk's original desire of X as a minivan killer - make it happen with X2.

What are your source(s) for #3?

Only 4 to 5 women in our circle that have test driven the X - pulled by the desire to own electric-SUV but a bit disappointed in the end. One item they all agreed to is that, when things are quiet in the car (like after dropping kids in school), they can relax and enjoy the gorgeous car, with all the gadgets. But when kids are IN car, it is about doing 10 different things and doing them fast. Quick hard buttons work - as they can become muscle-memorized. Touch screens are OK, but large touch screens that require 3-5 clicks and from top of screen to bottom of screen - that requires a lot of physical movement - sometimes a foot and more...can be quite distracting. Top left, then side, then bottom right e.g. (traveling quite a bit in between)...the smaller the person, the more time eyes are off the road. I am sure there are women who love this big screen...

• Informative
Reactions: 1208
Only 4 to 5 women in our circle that have test driven the X - pulled by the desire to own electric-SUV but a bit disappointed in the end. One item they all agreed to is that, when things are quiet in the car (like after dropping kids in school), they can relax and enjoy the gorgeous car, with all the gadgets. But when kids are IN car, it is about doing 10 different things and doing them fast. Quick hard buttons work - as they can become muscle-memorized. Touch screens are OK, but large touch screens that require 3-5 clicks and from top of screen to bottom of screen - that requires a lot of physical movement - sometimes a foot and more...can be quite distracting. Top left, then side, then bottom right e.g. (traveling quite a bit in between)...the smaller the person, the more time eyes are off the road. I am sure there are women who love this big screen...
Disagree. We love the doors, they work great, and I'd even consider them practical. Gadgets are a bonus. It's expensive but it all depends on how people like to spend their money. Big screen is great. All love the big windshield. That's why we bought the car. You may have based your conclusions on too small a sample. One persons junk is another's treasure. Too each his/her own I guess.