Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[
Well. Three seconds at 250 km/h (which isn't that uncommon,) is 208 meters. You can do a lot of braking in three seconds. Add two seconds of reaction and you land at 347 meters (yes, i know the distance would be less since the speed decreases) but with some safety margin i'd say at LEAST 350 meters, preferably 500.
Quick question: Are you saying the approaching car is doing 250km/hr (approx. 155 mi/hr)? I ask because in order for your numbers to add up, either the approaching car would have to be going considerably faster or the Tesla is not moving. If the Tesla is doing, lets say 100km/hr, then the approaching car is actually coming up on the Tesla at 150 km/hr.

From what I can tell, Tesla has been really reluctant to do hardware upgrades on cars that have already been sold. Why would you assume they would do so now?

THIS is why Tesla may be forced to do the usual model year designation. Folks like knowing how long they have before their car is made 'obsolete'. Also this is a pretty good showing for GM as to what not to offer OTA upgrades for. If folks had to get the "2017" Model S to get the new hardware suite and new features I don't think people here would be nearly as mad.
Not saying that. When I bought the car I was told that the car will get the latest and greatest technology and opted for all the options. Now after just a few days it's outdated. Some people buy the tesla mainly for the autonomous driving. You can sugar coat it anyway you desire. Anyone prior to yesterday is screwed and misled and won't have the vehicle they though they were getting if their main reason for purchase was to have a autonomous vehicle.
And we're not talking about a small purchase. I don't mind that there was no discount. It's just wrong that I wasn't told it couldn't be upgraded. I wouldn't have spent the 150K knowing that. That's just greedy. We're not talking a few thousand dollars here. Not all owners belong to these forums.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
I've been saying for quite a while now that if we wanted to solve the traffic and death problems that affect so many people without completely destroying what so many people love/need to do (drive) we could have the computer in shadow mode protecting us when we choose to drive. Many people on this site have basically laughed at my idea saying it will never work. Now your great god on earth Elon has used the term and has said the computer collecting data and determining when it could intervene is possible. So now that your god has said it, it's fact based on the way some people act on here.

I was one of those who gave you pushback on the shadow mode. In that thread, our discussion was about whether or not shadow mode created the illusion of driving. I continue to believe that's what it does. It gives you some set of constraints wherein you can drive, and if you are doing something dangerous, it just does what it would do anyway.

I believe my analogy was a kid on a train with a toy steering wheel.

Not saying that. When I bought the car I was told that the car will get the latest and greatest technology and opted for all the options. Now after just a few days it's outdated. Some people buy the tesla mainly for the autonomous driving. You can sugar coat it anyway you desire. Anyone prior to yesterday is screwed and misled and won't have the vehicle they though they were getting if their main reason for purchase was to have a autonomous vehicle.
And we're not talking about a small purchase. I don't mind that there was no discount. It's just wrong that I wasn't told it couldn't be upgraded. I wouldn't have spent the 150K knowing that. That's just greedy. We're not talking a few thousand dollars here. Not all owners belong to these forums.
I understand. You spent a ton of money without any warning of an upgrade. I would think that if someone spent over a tenth of a million dollars that they would somehow be accommodated. I mean its the day after.

I really wish I could lobby for you somehow.

Did anyone else notice, in the demonstration video by Tesla, when the X parallel parks the model S Infront of it has the new cameras?!

Thanks Erik

20161020_180036.png

[

Quick question: Are you saying the approaching car is doing 250km/hr (approx. 155 mi/hr)? I ask because in order for your numbers to add up, either the approaching car would have to be going considerably faster or the Tesla is not moving. If the Tesla is doing, lets say 100km/hr, then the approaching car is actually coming up on the Tesla at 150 km/hr.
I was lazy (tired) and used the delta as the safety margin. Sorry, should have worded that better.

It's just wrong that I wasn't told it couldn't be upgraded.

While I feel your pain, I can't feel sorry. I mean the difference between a cyclops ADAS system and a level 5 self driving system is huge. Common sense would tell you the upgrade path in this case would be super expensive and not reasonable. You'd have to rewire the car replace affected body panels, replace all the ultrasonics, etc. Labor costs alone would be crazy. Service centers are backed up enough.

You knew very well that full autonomy was expected on the Model 3, the Model 3 is also much lower cost. You bought the car because you wanted the car. You didn't want to wait for the Model 3. There was no real expectation that Model S/X would even get autonomous driving before the middle of next year, but you didn't want to wait.

I love Tesla as a company and I really appreciate their fast release cycle compared to other auto manufacturers. For me, when I buy a Model 3 I don't expect it to be upgradable besides the battery. For me, the model 3 will have nearly every feature I could ever ask for. If they come out with a hovering/flying Model 3 a week after I take delivery, sure I might be a little agitated, but it will at least be what I wanted at the time of purchase.

If you don't care about Autopilot, like me, then one of the biggest benefits of AP 2.0 is that every non-AP Model S and every 1st gen AP Model S just got $10,000 cheaper in purchase price. Time to go buy a CPO / used Model S! Almost as good and a whole lot cheaper!

Being an early adopter is hard on your wallet. But being a laggard is not a lot better.
You got your Tesla on the wrong "side" of the curve. Welcome to 99% of all products sold today.

new-product-diffusion-model-diagram-ppt.jpg

I'm a 2012 Sig Model S owner still waiting on my hard drive access and lighted mirrors. Good luck getting a retrofit for this or anything else.

What truly sucks isn't the release of new things, but it is how AP1.0 will never be any better than it is now. Probably at some point Tesla might even shut it down completely (it sort of already has with constanag) given its propensity to kill it's drivers and make really bad headlines. What limit will come next as they phase out a very small group of beta testers that never made it out of beta?

Doesn't beta imply they will finish the product at some point and leaving it useless and nonupgradeable may be a breach of what they sold?

Tesla Self-Driving Car Built on NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 | NVIDIA Blog

That conflicts with what Elon Musk said in the press Q&A, where he said they're using the NVidia Titan chip. As others clarify this, I might come back and put transcript of that quote here if it matters. So far, everything said by Tesla was consistent with the Titan chip. Did NVidia deliver the wrong product? (Oops) Hahaha -- I doubt it, and even if so, I'm sure they'll work it out. Maybe things changed already.

Tesla Self-Driving Car Built on NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 | NVIDIA Blog

That conflicts with what Elon Musk said in the press Q&A, where he said they're using the NVidia Titan chip. As others clarify this, I might come back and put transcript of that quote here if it matters. So far, everything said by Tesla was consistent with the Titan chip. Did NVidia deliver the wrong product? (Oops) Hahaha -- I doubt it, and even if so, I'm sure they'll work it out. Maybe things changed already.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that article does never say which GPU's can run that AI, so that does not imply that Titans where not used to run the Drive Px 2 Api.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo