Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 2023.12.10 Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 22 M3 LR, which is on Update 2023.12.9, just advised me that 2023.12.10 is ready to be installed. I am a bit confused because TeslaFi says that this update is for Full Self Driving Beta Users. I am not a FSD Beta user. I also see that only 1.5% of the cars have received this update. My car usually gets updates much later than most cars so I don't know why I'm at the front of the line this time. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

You must have or subscribe to FSD Capability package. FSD Beta is now starting to be offered to all who have it. You just got in a little earlier in the queue. FSD Beta is off by default and you must turn it on and approve if you want to use it.

My Feb 2022 MSLR is not and has never been subscribed to FSD and it now has 2023.12.10.

Did you ever subscribe to the FSD Capability package or are you sure you didn't buy it with the car?

If not then a little odd but the FSD Beta will be grayed out and you CAN'T use it unless you subscribe or buy FSD Capability. Could be Tesla is pushing this to cars to encourage you to subscribe. Also Elon has said a free 1 month trial of FSD Beta is coming and maybe this is one of the first steps in getting the software into all cars.

Did you ever subscribe to the FSD Capability package or are you sure you didn't buy it with the car?
Screenshot_20230527_053619_Gallery.jpg
Single owner, never FSD, ever. Not so odd, OP also is not FSD.

Last edited:
Maybe Tesla has finally implemented the single stack build we’ve been waiting for.
If you mean replacing legacy AP stack with the same stack as on FSD Beta then that is not what is happening. FSD Beta highway stack is in its very first version and will need a lot of real world testing and revisions before Tesla would take a chance replacing the well known and well understood legacy AP stack. I suspect it will take about a year before there is chance of Tesla changing AP.

As long as you are on FSD Beta >11.x you are driving on a single stack (misnomer since Summon is yet to be integrated) and if you switch to NoA/Auto-Steer then you are back on the legacy stack. So it is still here and will be for some time.

IMG_2739 (1).jpeg

OP didn't say they didn't buy FSD Capability. That said there were not an FSD Beta user.

Again I can't say why if you didn't buy the $15k package with your car but it does seem odd.

To clarify; I bought my M3 new from Tesla. I am the original owner and I did not buy or subscribe to FSD in any form, at any time. That's why I'm confused about getting the 2023.12.10. update that is supposedly intended for FSD cars. I am hesitant to install this update in my non FSD M3.

To clarify; I bought my M3 new from Tesla. I am the original owner and I did not buy or subscribe to FSD in any form, at any time. That's why I'm confused about getting the 2023.12.10. update that is supposedly intended for FSD cars. I am hesitant to install this update in my non FSD M3.
The 23.12.x is the same, it just has the FSD Beta code included. Like I said Tesla is likely trying to add as an enticement to get more people to subscribe to the FSD Capability package (or buy). Also Tesla calls it Auto-steer on city streets on the website (terrible nomenclature calling it FSD but.....) and it is listed as a Coming soon feature of the FSD Capability package. They now have 2 FSD Beta branches and 23.12.10 contains the previous version (11.3.6) and therefore less bugs and more tested. I suspect they will make Auto-steer on city streets a feature (NOT Coming soon anymore) and include it in all releases going forward. So anyone can subscribe and get it right away. You can even subscribe for just a month to try.

Us that are long time FSD Beta testers will probably continue to get a MORE Beta, Beta 🤔 😅 version ahead (we are getting 11.4.2 now) to test before it is released to everyone as a standard feature of FSD Capability.

Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 4.12.38 PM.png

Last edited:
If you mean replacing legacy AP stack with the same stack as on FSD Beta then that is not what is happening. FSD Beta highway stack is in its very first version and will need a lot of real world testing and revisions before Tesla would take a chance replacing the well known and well understood legacy AP stack. I suspect it will take about a year before there is chance of Tesla changing AP.
I didn't mean that exactly, I meant using a single build for both production and FSD Beta, which 2023.12.10 could be. I guess it remains to be seen whether future builds continue that trend.

Reactions: JulienW