Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update "failed", but it didn't?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same thing occurred for me a day before taking my MS into service so I asked them to pull the logs and verify. According to the service invoice/receipt:
---
Concern: Customer: states the last firmware update failed

Corrections: Firmware Update - Courtesy Inspection

verified customer concern. found firmware failed. based on failure reasoning. it has to do with it being a bug in the system. states to push firmware again and check. found most recent firmware pushed again and completed without fault. verified findings.

Pay Type: Goodwill
---

I asked the technician to clarify this statement, and he indicated that the logs showed that the update re-tried the install again on its own about 5min after it failed and it succeeded. However it just never cleared the error message after the second automatic retry.

on June 9, my 2015 MS attempted to install latest firmware update (2018.21.9) on Sat June 9. A couple hours after I started the update, I stepped into car to see a notice (software update failed). Later that same day, I initiated summons to get my MS out of the garage. As summons started, the wheels start to turn towards the wall at which point I canceled summon. I got into the MS to find multiple warning (incl. software update required) and car unable to start. I called the support line and was called back ~30 mins later. The support rep and I were unable to perform any actions to reset the car or put into tow mode (it's sticking out few inches past the garage door).

It's the weekend and they are not sure they can get this fixed at this point. I've been scheduled with Enterprise to get a loaner. Hopefully they can push a software update remotely soon.

I wish (functionality) there was a way to revert back to last known working version when issues like these happen. Lets see how Tesla fixes this problem on a weekend.