Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update from Tesla service on screen yellowing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Sandiegodoug,

If your screen was changed in the last week or two you are probably OK.
If it was months ago, you probably have another soon to be yellow screen...

You may contact your service center for an emailed replacement invoice.

It's odd my wife's 2015 S 85D is clear as a bell - No yellow...

Shawn

Hi Sandiegodoug,

If your screen was changed in the last week or two you are probably OK.
If it was months ago, you probably have another soon to be yellow screen...

You may contact your service center for an emailed replacement invoice.

It's odd my wife's 2015 S 85D is clear as a bell - No yellow...

Shawn

It’s interesting, I managed to get a revision d screen, I watched the mobile tech and read the serial number off the old and new screen to compare. On the invoice though it says the part number is a revision c. So the invoice may not necessarily say which screen type you got.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
The "fix" may involve negotiations with the supplier of the screens. After all, why should Tesla foot the bill for a bad component? (The Takata air bag fiasco comes to mind).

It wouldn't surprise me if Tesla started replacing the screens once they were convinced that new ones would not be problematic and they reached a substantial settlement with their supplier.

• Love
I'm ok with this. I don't need a new screen, I just want the yellow border gone, so if Tesla is working on a solution that can eliminate it, that's great.
My reading of the invoice leads me to believe that they want users to wait until the alternative solution is validated. The way it reads, I believe they may revert to replacing screens again if the solution doesn't work, but if you want a fix now instead of waiting to find out, you need to pay. In this scenario, I'm definitely OK with it as long as the alternative fix is permanent.

The only problem I have with waiting for the fix is the length of time it's taking them to actually come up with a fix...
It's not like this is a new issue, they appear to be dragging their feet on getting a real fix. Is it ok for someone to have to live with a manufacturing defect for a year? 2 years? 5 years? 10 years?...

No question, this should be covered by warranty. This is NOT a "disposable" item, such as tires or wiper blades!
Neither are seats or bolsters, but blue jean stains and wrinkles in the seats and bolsters don't merit warranty replacements. I want a permanent fix if mine yellows again, and I think it is right to provide a permanent fix, but I don't think it would be wrong to call this wear and tear, either. I'd be disappointed if they went that route, but I don't think they'd have any legal problems other than possibly precedent (the screen IS still fully functional). I'm optimistic that it will remain a warranty item, but I don't think it's the least bit unreasonable to delay replacements until the most cost effective permanent fix is ready.

As long as the yellow is confined to the edge, it can be called cosmetic. When it starts interfering with the visibility of the buttons and controls, however, it's no longer cosmetic. At least that's what I'd say if I were taking Tesla to court.

Neither are seats or bolsters, but blue jean stains and wrinkles in the seats and bolsters don't merit warranty replacements. I want a permanent fix if mine yellows again, and I think it is right to provide a permanent fix, but I don't think it would be wrong to call this wear and tear, either. I'd be disappointed if they went that route, but I don't think they'd have any legal problems other than possibly precedent (the screen IS still fully functional). I'm optimistic that it will remain a warranty item, but I don't think it's the least bit unreasonable to delay replacements until the most cost effective permanent fix is ready.
Seats and bolsters are wear and tear items where the W&T can be directly attributed to one's posterior. There is very little W&T on a screen, unless your fingers are coated with peanut butter, grit or library paste, or one rubs their posterior on the screen, which doesn't do either any good.

Seats and bolsters are wear and tear items where the W&T can be directly attributed to one's posterior. There is very little W&T on a screen, unless your fingers are coated with peanut butter, grit or library paste, or one rubs their posterior on the screen, which doesn't do either any good.
While I'm sure someone, somewhere, has rubbed their posterior on a screen, I will admit that I should have said cosmetic instead of wear and tear. My point was that until there is actual inhibited functionality, they are being nice to fix it one way or another.

Reactions: posity
While I'm sure someone, somewhere, has rubbed their posterior on a screen, I will admit that I should have said cosmetic instead of wear and tear. My point was that until there is actual inhibited functionality, they are being nice to fix it one way or another.

Being nice to fix it? That's crazy.

This is clearly a material defect. When owners are reporting issues after just a few thousand miles of use, there is no other way to describe it unless your contention is that the yellow border is a normal "feature" of the material.

Tesla's New Vehicle Warranty
"These warranties cover the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla, which occur under normal use."

It's clear as day this should be covered, it is not them being nice, it is their responsibility under the promise of their warranty.

Being nice to fix it? That's crazy.

This is clearly a material defect. When owners are reporting issues after just a few thousand miles of use, there is no other way to describe it unless your contention is that the yellow border is a normal "feature" of the material.

Tesla's New Vehicle Warranty
"These warranties cover the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla, which occur under normal use."

It's clear as day this should be covered, it is not them being nice, it is their responsibility under the promise of their warranty.
OK, I can get on board when you put it that way, but I'm far more concerned about the acceleration shudder.

Reactions: jdchi
Here is the response I have received, very disappointed!

upload_2019-6-11_19-23-22.png

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I have requested Tesla to cover this as manufacture defect rather than wear and tear especially when I hardly drove 500 miles. I can imagine if the defect appears after a year or two. Can't stop staring at the screen while driving. Really bothering me!

I have requested Tesla to cover this as manufacture defect rather than wear and tear especially when I hardly drove 500 miles. I can imagine if the defect appears after a year or two. Can't stop staring at the screen while driving. Really bothering me!

That’s the thing, once it appears, it's hard to stop staring at it. I know exactly how you feel.