Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update on Approaching June 8th Mt. Evans Road Rally in Colorado

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick update on the pending Tesla Rally up Mt. Evans. Although an RSVP is not required, and there is plenty of room for anyone to simply show up for the event this Saturday (June 8th), I thought I would pass along a few bits of information.

1. I have 32 RSVPs, and still a few trying to work it out so they can attend.

2. I tried to complete a test drive June 1 to the summit, but the road was closed at Echo Lake. However, the road will reopen early this week, and the weather here for the coming week looks warm, so I do not foresee any problems with accessibility to the summit. I cannot guarantee we will be permitted to drive to the summit, but all systems look very promising. I will know more by Thursday, as I plan to call the Forrest Service to confirm final details with them about the Rally.
Here are the data for my test drive from the start to Echo Lake (Hwy 5 gate). It is 13.5 miles from the start. I started with 215 miles of range. I drove the speed limit (40 mph), but did pass cars twice on the way up when I had a long enough straightaway (50 feet ☺) to zoom past. At the gate my range was 181 miles with 3,200 feet of elevation gain. I then drove back down, again near the speed limit, and upon return to the Middle School I had 188 miles of range (gained 7 miles). So based on the trajectory of this test, if the road to the summit had been open, which is another 14.5 miles and ~4,000 feet of additional elevation gain, then I estimate it would have used a total of 75-80 miles (140-145 of remaining range) from the start to summit, and would have gained 15-17 miles of regenerated miles on the way back down to the start (finishing with about 155-157 miles of range). I hope this helps those keeping a close eye on their electron tank.

3. For those unfamiliar with the details, here is the original announcement:
Mt. Evans Scenic Byway is the highest paved road in North America begging to be assaulted by Tesla’s Model S owners. With the introduction of this awesome vehicle, I am organizing a Road Rally on Saturday June 8, 2013 from Idaho Springs, CO (35 miles west of Denver) to the summit of Mt. Evans and back.

We need to meet up around 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, June 8th, at the Clear Creek County Middle School parking lot toward the west end of Idaho Springs. This location is South of I-70 at Exit 240. Take the exit; turn South on Highway 103 toward Mt. Evans, and the Middle School driveway is a few hundred feet ahead on the right-hand side immediately past the Ranger Station and Visitor’s Center.

After the event you are welcome to join everyone interested in lunch at famous Beau Jo's Pizza in Idaho Springs (pay your own way - thanks).

Please RSVP to Dennis Driscoll: [email protected] (I need an approximate number of participants so I can inform the Park Rangers as to the number of cars coming)

Here is a flyer about the event:

http://www.esion.com/Files/Mt_Evans_Road_Rally.pdf

Thanks and go Team Tesla! Dennis