Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update on the Salt Lake City Tesla store turmoil

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the legislature meeting this month it's like that new huge Tesla flag is letting the legislators know "Tesla is here". :)

tsla.jpg

Yes, here's hoping. What exactly is the source of those photos? You should come fly around my shop in Midvale!

Also, by the look of it, they might be committing a teensey little breach of protocol cuz I think the Tesla flag is a bit bigger than old glory there. That's based on my observation from the ground, not your photos. Might just be perspective, its a VERY big flagpole !!:biggrin:

And now they're after another manufacturer:

Utah Automobile Manufacturer Prohibited from Selling to Utahns | Libertas Institute | Advancing the cause of liberty in Utah

A follow up. The local Fox affiliate ran a piece on the situation on their evening news program. There was a link to that piece on the station's website. I say "was" because the link has been removed. So I emailed the station but got no reply. Then rang them and no one was willing to talk. Disappointing.

Yet another followup. Seems that Google cached the piece:
Provo manufacturer excluded from Utah International Auto Expo | fox13now.com

Last edited:
As some of you know, Telsa spent around $3 million to renovate a location and build a dealership/service center in SLC, UT. After getting the location almost completely built out, state officials communicated to the company that current local laws would not allow them to open it. Here is a update on the situation and Tesla's side to the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR5fTrvRwgA
Store, not dealership.

It seems like a simple compromise would protect dealers from manufacturers undermining them if the law were simply amended to read that manufacturers that sell anywhere through franchised dealers may not sell or service vehicles directly in Utah; those that have no dealers may sell or service directly. That would require honest intentions on legislators' parts, of course.

The side note I would add to this is GM. They will go bankrupt in a heartbeat if they wanted to get around their dealerships and open direct sales stores which the compromise would allow. That is why so many states are forcing automakers to use franchised dealers. I understand the dealerships concerns. GM goes bankrupt the government hands them millions and they then reopen as GGM (or whatever) and dump the dealer network. Same thing they did in 2008 to get out of paying pension benefits to their workers. Don't think that pretty face CEO is any better than Bob Putz.

And now they're after another manufacturer:

Utah Automobile Manufacturer Prohibited from Selling to Utahns | Libertas Institute | Advancing the cause of liberty in Utah

A follow up. The local Fox affiliate ran a piece on the situation on their evening news program. There was a link to that piece on the station's website. I say "was" because the link has been removed. So I emailed the station but got no reply. Then rang them and no one was willing to talk. Disappointing.

Yet another followup. Seems that Google cached the piece:
Provo manufacturer excluded from Utah International Auto Expo | fox13now.com

So, in other words, anything that's ACTUALLY NEWS WORTHY is not allowed on the News, but they ARE allowed to do completely unnewsworthy items like the weather that is typical and expected in NYC (even though they're not in NYC).

Just received this from Representative Kim Coleman about her bill:

"The draft was sent around to the dealers and manufacturers for input. We're close. I think it will be out by Wednesday, maybe Tuesday."

And here are a couple of recent Tesla related items:

Rolly: In Utah auto market, Tesla and others may see a breakthrough
Rolly: In Utah auto market, Tesla and others may see a breakthrough | The Salt Lake Tribune

Rolly: Squeaky wheel? Story about Utah carmaker missing from TV station’s website
Rolly: Squeaky wheel? Story about Utah carmaker missing from TV station's website | The Salt Lake Tribune

So here is the compromise:

Tesla, Kirkham Motor Sports and Vanderhall Motor Works can sell their new cars in Utah, but on a limited basis, perhaps no more than 300 or 350 per year. And they can't keep an inventory in a showroom, selling their cars only online.

And Utah "boasts of a free market, business friendly philosophy".

Right.

This is clearly the big ICE makers limiting the growth and success of new comers.

I don't understand how anybody over there thinks this is good for the free market.
Let Tesla define its own business model.

350 cars per year is crap. There are around 1 million cars and trucks along the Wasatch front today and that is why the air quality is horrible. We need better than this token change to a state sponsored monopoly.

Tesla owners need a professional presence. I volunteer to quit my job and take a paid position from Tesla Motors Club going to state capitals and lobby for Tesla sales centers. I will drive my car and give rides. Per diem is standard.

And Utah should know better than sucker punch an all-American car manufacturer like that. Sheesh.