Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to the Supercharger network policies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I didn't already have a Tesla I would buy one even if Supercharging costed as much as gas, or perhaps even more. But that's not the question.

There are bound to be people thinking "Will I trade in my 2016 AP1 Model S for an 2017 AP2 Model S with Lifelong Supercharging, an unique opportunity". Among those, the question what 'lifelong' means (transferable or not) obviously somewhat affects the value of the 'opportunity' and hence, potentially, whether or not they would indeed decide to trade in.
Cars don't have supercharging attached to them....owners do.

When a person divorces their Tesla - so goes the contract of free supercharging.

• Funny
Reactions: Festerfeet
Cars don't have supercharging attached to them....owners do.

When a person divorces their Tesla - so goes the contract of free supercharging.
No I don't think that's true. It's the cars ordered through 2016 that have free supercharging, and the ones ordered after 2016 don't. Supercharging is for the life of the car, not the life of the owner.

No I don't think that's true. It's the cars ordered through 2016 that have free supercharging, and the ones ordered after 2016 don't. Supercharging is for the life of the car, not the life of the owner.
More accurately he is talking about the life of the car under the same owner. I don't think he is implying it transfers to a different car by the same owner (which doesn't make sense anyways as there is a different purchase contract for every car, even if under the same owner).

In general, I think nobody on this forum knows for certain whether or not Tesla will be keeping unlimited Supercharging with the car after the sale or not. For anyone to say they're absolutely certain implies either a lack of truthfulness or misplaced certainty.

My personal guess is that that they will not include it after the sale. But it's just that - a guess based on their previous actions and the direction they seem to want to go with Supercharging.

Reactions: Canuck and Carl
Please give an example of something Tesla has done that stayed with the purchaser rather than the car when the car was sold.
Extended warranty doesn't count-- that is transferable to the purchaser for a minimal fee.
AP. AP did not transfer for a few people in this forum.

One case of the upgraded battery did not transfer. Something about on a transfer....you acquire the original VIN number which includes the oroginal battery.

Everything that Tesla has done so far has stayed with the purchaser.What option have you all found to stay with a CPO or used car?
Actually every single option has stayed with the car. If you have an AP-enabled car, Tesla will not disengage AP when you sell the car to someone else, obviously. The car I sold a few months ago still has unlimited free Supercharging access, of course. We paid for those options so they are obviously part of the resale value. There are other examples (2013 UHF-option with DAB etc.).

I rest my case (and shall stop posting on this thread :)). If Tesla gives an answer to my question, I am sure @ohmman will, with the utmost neutrality, post it here.

Carl

Actually every single option has stayed with the car. If you have an AP-enabled car, Tesla will not disengage AP when you sell the car to someone else, obviously. The car I sold a few months ago still has unlimited free Supercharging access, of course. We paid for those options so they are obviously part of the resale value. There are other examples (2013 UHF-option with DAB etc.).

I rest my case (and shall stop posting on this thread :)). If Tesla gives an answer to my question, I am sure @ohmman will, with the utmost neutrality, post it here.

Carl
Not true. AP was disengaged on the owner in this forum. It isn't obvious.

Tesla has said in the past that Superchargers were meant to be used more during longer trips, instead of as a daily charging solution. In today’s post, the company continued that line of thinking, saying that it believes the best way for customers to regularly charge their cars is during off-hours at home or work, “just as you would charge your cell phone.”

Yet another cell phone reference. This time from Tesla.

Little do they know that there is an additional reference to cell phones that suggests that when Tesla gets some free supercharging competition...it's free supercharging option will be back.

Not true. AP was disengaged on the owner in this forum. It isn't obvious.
I'm not familiar with that incident, but if you look at the used market there are many AP cars for sale. Don't you think sellers would be clearly stating that you won't get AP on this car when you buy it because Tesla only sold it to the first buyer? Essentially it would be impossible to sell a AP car on the used market if that was true.

The one I bought continued working just fine, so if someone lost AP after buying a used car it probably either had a hardware/software problem or maybe it didn't have AP enabled to begin with.

Man, this would cause chaos in the used market if Tesla converts CPOs they sell after Jan 1 to the new plan. In a few years if you are buying a 2016 on the private market, you would have to verify it wasn't bought before as a CPO after 1/1/2017. Hopefully Tesla would confirm supercharger status by VIN or something.
Great point. I wonder if Tesla is going to print the final VIN number somewhere that has Supercharging that we can use to validate SCing.
I mean..what if someone lies to me while selling their MS saying - Yes it has supercharging...and really it doesn't.

Actually the MS's with the whales mouth are probably understood to have SC'ing but no AP2.0.

You'll need to provide some direct evidence of this, or any other option that wasn't transferred with the vehicle, other than a warranty or service contract.
Nope. I don't need to. I'm not tearing through over 3000 messages of mine. Either believe it or not. Not an issue for me.

Call me names or whatever you have to do to make yourself comfortable. <-----This is for everyone...not JRP3.