Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you post these? More publicity is last thing these knuckleheads need.

AP/FSD had NOTHING to do with this crash. Most likely all the mess started when that constable on the scene started jumping to conclusions when he saw it was a Tesla and it all snowballed.

Do we know that? There are a ton of things said in this thread that are suspect and/or incorrect, like autosteer needing lines. I live on a small street with no markings and autopilot sees the curblines and uses it to autosteer.

SO It will come out in the coming days that the "brother in law" that said he backed the car up then got in the back seat and the car just drove away" was actually driving the car and lost control not anticipating the acceleration the car has and crashed into the tree, got out and ran back to the house to call 911
I initially wondered about his statement and questioned if maybe he or possibly another friend/family member they didn't want to see get in trouble was the driver who exited the car to escape fire, call for help, whatever, but if it’s fact that the car was wedged in between two trees in that forested area, then I’m thinking not. Read the account of how initially this was a forest fire called in because someone saw the trees on fire.

If the brother-in-law saw the owner back out and hop into the back seat, also likely since this was so few feet of travel that he could have seen the car crash into the trees almost immediately from then.

Really hard piecing all this together to make sense of it.

SO It will come out in the coming days that the "brother in law" that said he backed the car up then got in the back seat and the car just drove away" was actually driving the car and lost control not anticipating the acceleration the car has and crashed into the tree, got out and ran back to the house to call 911
What caused the car to explode with flames 20 feet in the air? I did not think the battery would explode like that. Maybe there was something very flamable in the frunk.

Everyone should have one of these in their vehicles. There is an optional visor clip, or it is small enough to fit in center console if you want. They're cheap and can save your life. The units come with a seatbelt cutter and a window breaker. Can easily allow you to get out of the car for either fire or for water immersion/flood. And honestly, these are easier to remember how to use than the mechanical door releases.

I have no affiliation with this company other than I have bought 3 of these items.

One note: These are designed to break tempered windows only. I don't know which, but I think some windows on some Tesla models are laminated, this will break the glass but may not let you push the window out. Also, if you have window tint, those windows may be more difficult to push out after breaking. Probably will not work on Cybertruck windows at all.
Doesn't the Model Y have laminated windows? Tools like this are great but not sure how one gets out of a Y if the doors are jammed,

As far as I can figure, the attached is where the crash occurred. If I have the location right, you've got maybe 120 feet to accelerate from the end of the cul-de-sac and gain enough speed for the crash to be as violent as it appeared. This is starting to look like a classic "WATCH THIS!".

Mike

I don't know who could be sober and get such bad results in such a short distance.
One way or another this probably did start with " Here hold my beer and watch this "

Reactions: Microterf
If the brother-in-law saw the owner back out and hop into the back seat

The original article reported that the brother-in-law said that the owner “may have” hopped into the backseat. In other words, he didn’t see it, and he’s merely speculating about how he ended up in the backseat.

“The owner, he said, backed out of the driveway, and then may have hopped in the back seat only to crash a few hundred yards down the road. He said the owner was found in the back seat upright.”

Do we know that? There are a ton of things said in this thread that are suspect and/or incorrect, like autosteer needing lines. I live on a small street with no markings and autopilot sees the curblines and uses it to autosteer.
Yes, Autosteer needs lines to start. I have not seen exceptions until yesterday, and my guess is that the exceptions are rather rare, and that should be another topic.

AP does need lines, but I have found those lines don't necessarily need to be painted.
It will use the curb as a line and it seems to only really need 1 well defined line to gain perspective on the road.
Alternatively, I've seen it treat the contrast between two sides of a road that have been paved at different times as a line.

It's certainly not consistent. That said, I certainly wouldn't trust AP on unmarked/not well marked/lit sections of road.

AP does need lines, but I have found those lines don't necessarily need to be painted.
It will use the curb as a line and it seems to only really need 1 well defined line to gain perspective on the road.
Alternatively, I've seen it treat the contrast between two sides of a road that have been paved at different times as a line.

It's certainly not consistent. That said, I certainly wouldn't trust AP on unmarked/not well marked/lit sections of road.
Thats right. AP only needs enough of a differentiation to figure out the "lanes". In my street AP refuses to engage. In the adjoining street with no center line ( but side lines marked), AP will engage and drive either to one side (where it can figure out the center unmarked line) or in the center of the road. But it won't go more than 5 miles above speed limit. If the speed limit is not available - not sure what it does.

Thats right. AP only needs enough of a differentiation to figure out the "lanes". In my street AP refuses to engage. In the adjoining street with no center line ( but side lines marked), AP will engage and drive either to one side (where it can figure out the center unmarked line) or in the center of the road. But it won't go more than 5 miles above speed limit. If the speed limit is not available - not sure what it does.
Generally if the speed limit isn't available it always defaults to 45 for me. So 50 max