Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, thank you, we agree AP can start on streets without lane marks.
It's up to NHTSA, NTSB, and local police to determine if AP can work on that street.

I disagree. So far one person has made a video which claims to show AP working on a private parking lot without lane markings but it hasn’t been verified by anyone. I cannot replicate his video. I encourage you to try. it.

Reactions: Iain
I just can’t digest that two educated adults who knew the limits of autopilot to the degree that they understood exactly what kind of bonkers ninja Indiana Jones maneuvers would be required to even attempt such a thing would do so.

But let’s assume that against all odds these guys got this to work (it would probably take a dozen attempts to pull it off). After doing so, they were able to trick autopilot to accelerate aggressively and ignore obstacles. And THEN autopilot drove so fast on a residential street that it exceeded the +5 MPH limit within a few hundred yards and caused one of the safest, heaviest cars on the planet to burst into flames. And THEN! nobody could get out of the car.

There’s something missing from this story.
1) autopilot was almost certainly not involved, FSD was not purchased for this car and it was not in the beta program.
2) someone was almost certainly in the driver seat at the time of the crash
3) the extremely definitive statements that the car left the house with the driver in the back seat and that nobody was driving the car at the time of the crash are fishy as hell. We all know that this is effectively impossible.

I had watched this video a long time back. Just clicked in the middle to capture the screenshot. I forget whether in the video he could engage AP when there were no markings ...
So according to that video from the UK, all it takes is a few white lines down the center of the road and you can enable AP on any road. Also on Dirty Tesla's video if there are a couple of white lines beside you, you can enable AP.
After you have enabled AP it will stay active regardless of the road conditions.

If the Texas car didn't have FSD then it wouldn't autosteer though. Perhaps that's why it crashed?

So according to that video from the UK, all it takes is a few white lines down the center of the road and you can enable AP on any road. Also on Dirty Tesla's video if there are a couple of white lines beside you, you can enable AP.
After you have enabled AP it will stay active regardless of the road conditions.

If the Texas car didn't have FSD then it wouldn't autosteer though. Perhaps that's why it crashed?

standard autopilot includes autosteer. Do you own a Tesla?

Reactions: alexgr
I had watched this video a long time back. Just clicked in the middle to capture the screenshot. I forget whether in the video he could engage AP when there were no markings ...
Well rather than the implied results:
There are already youtube videos showing engaging AP with no markings.
that video has 8 or 9 activations which show that lane lines are required. (not many stripes, but it must have stripes)

Once the person got to the back seat - he sits upright as he tries to open the door. The some makes them unconscious as he sits in the seat ... ?
Then the seat belt would not burn up in the buckled position about which we have no info. We're all blowing smoke based upon how little actual facts that we have. I'm not inclined to grieve stupid but this is a big puzzler at the moment

I've tried my TACC/AP. Their acceleration is rather lethargic. The fastest acceleration I could get was about 1.9 m/s^2 (down a small hill). This means 11.33 seconds to travel 400 ft (from distance = 0.5*(acceleration)*(time)^2) and then the speed after 400 ft will be 21.5 m/s (from (velocity)=(acceleration)*(time)) that is 48 mph. Again, this is an idealized case for M3, and I have no idea about MS. Also the car must be driving at about 7 mph (I guess 10 km/h) to turn on TACC/AP. Practically, I think I couldn't even get above 30 mph on a 400 ft stretch using the Autopilot from 7 mph.

I live very close to the crash site, on streets with identical construction that I drive every day. In my Model 3 at least, the car will not engage Auto Steer as there are no lane markings.

If I could drive in there, I would. I could ask the people I know that live in there, but they are friend of a friend and I don't want to be an ass. My old boss used to live literally 2 streets over but he moved out about 5 years ago.
yeh... what are you going to tell them? I have one more Tesla to try?

Based on what I saw from the other three well publicized Tesla accidents in the past where AP was examined (2 semi trailers and 1 hwy barrier), I expect the preliminary report will take months with a final report and recommendations to come months after that. Also expect they will “gag” Elon/Tesla from giving out any more information from logs. Prepare for a long wait while they do their investigation and speculation and rationalizing will continue and die off after a while.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
"With respect to the fire fight, unfortunately, those rumors grew way out of control. It did not take us four hours to put out the blaze. Our guys got there and put down the fire within two to three minutes, enough to see the vehicle had occupants. After that, it was simply cooling the car as the batteries continued to have a chain reaction due to damage."

The Constable’s comments on Tesla/Elon not reaching out to him and first he’s heard of Elon’s tweets, caught my attention. He likely isn’t aware of how the logs are just data that requires interpreting and will take some time for everything to be analyzed. I’d guess as soon as the car sent a crash status to homebase, a tech there was starting to examine it and only saw some basic info that was passed on to Elon. Doubt with the agencies now actively investigating this that they will want Elon saying much of anything. I know with the Mt. View, CA 101 crash they reprimanded him and Tesla for saying/releasing any info without their consent and before report was ready. Tough for Elon to do as the media attention and how it’s reported jump to statements that don’t turn out to be true and it negatively affects the stock.
The problem is that nobody hesitated to call this accident an Autopilot failure without any investigation. Waiting for investigation to be completed could make some people hesitate to use the Autopilot and increase the odds of accidents and deaths if no corrective information is provided promptly. This is what Elon did, in the interest of public safety he disclosed that preliminary data indicate the Autopilot was not engaged. I believe that public safety is also in the best interest of investigating agencies. Don't you think so?

"With respect to the fire fight, unfortunately, those rumors grew way out of control. It did not take us four hours to put out the blaze. Our guys got there and put down the fire within two to three minutes, enough to see the vehicle had occupants. After that, it was simply cooling the car as the batteries continued to have a chain reaction due to damage."
yes, isn't it interesting how the stories originally get inflated beyond imagination. Kind of like the "big fish" stories you hear about. You know.... the guy that brags about catching a 300 pound tuna that took 4 hours to reel it in. But when you look in the boat you see a 3 inch minnow that accidentally flopped in the boat. Never underestimate the media to exaggerate things :)

Reactions: LowlyOilBurner
On the subject of AP engaging with "no lines", it can happen but it depends on what you consider a "line". Look at the attached snap from Sergio's video just after he says "this road has NO LINES". What do you call that in the center of the street? You and I know it's not a "painted" line because we are human and we have context: the road is wet and due to the wet road and the seam between sides, there's a reflective "line" in the center of the road. It looks like Sergio cherry picked this situation: wet road with a reflective seam in the middle. If you are looking at that road as an AI and you are doing contrast evaluation, AI could easily interpret that as a lane line. We know AP picks up worn painted lines that have low contrast and this looks very similar.

So can AP be activated on a street with no painted lines? Sometimes. Is it likely to? Probably not in most situations.

Mike

Attachments

• nolines.jpg
    nolines.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 46
@Dan D. I was trying to give you a benefit of the doubt regarding not being a fud factory but why are you disagreeing with a news article??