Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it could if he bounced back after hitting the windshield/airbag and not wearing a belt

but I'll yield to the likelihood of the driver coming to instead
You wouldn't bounce back from the windshield. The human body isn't a rubber ball. Regardless of whether he had the seatbelt on or not, he would have ended up still in the driver's seat after the impact.

Why is anyone even discussing this any more? The report confirms what some of us have said all along. He was driving the car when it collided with the tree, so the only way he ended up in the back seat would have been by his own actions after the impact, probably due to escape thru the front doors not being possible,

Wow! That is rich!
So, key evidence is being withheld to protect the reputation of a constable, WHILE the entire media plus some senators publicly SMEAR the reputation of Tesla causing $billions in harm to investors with FAKE news that would be discredited by existing evidence. The untouchable constable whose reputation is more precious than anyone can ever imagine!

Reactions: BooMan
Not directly, but if a car rolls, it could happen. However, it's doubtful that happened in this accident.
Can’t picture a person in driver’s seat, assuming in full upright position, buckled in or not being able to be thrown upon impact to the second row even in rollover which this wasn’t. Our 2017 MS seats are pretty tall to the headliner and also wide across the front cabin.

I’m skeptical of this video as well but there could have possibly been security footage captured from one of the homes on the street, expensives homes, good possibility. Who or what is “CI” anyway? Will be interested to see if there is more to this one person’s post. The 15 minute comment about crashing and then time to flames sounds plausible from what I’ve read of other battery accident cases (albeit not many) and pretty well matches the accident happening around 9pm with 911 call around 9:20 and responders arriving on scene by 9:25. The fire department was able to apply water quickly and said fire put out within a few minutes. Rear of car and tires back there still more or less intact and recognizable.

Last edited:
I think even if the car would have had autosteer working, there's no way it would have negotiated that cul de sac.
3. No, manually pressing the accelerator does not disengage autosteer.
It does when you get to 90 mph...

So if you are driving with Autosteer but using the accelerator manually, when you get to 90 mph Autosteer will disengage and you'll just go straight off the road at the next curve?

Can’t picture a person in driver’s seat, assuming in full upright position, buckled in or not being able to be thrown upon impact to the second row even in rollover which this wasn’t. Our 2017 MS seats are pretty tall to the headliner and also wide across the front cabin.
I was responding to the quote that "A frontal impact won't throw the driver into the back." It's certainly possible in some cars and in some accidents when not wearing a seat belt. There are videos on YouTube to prove it.

As I've mentioned in other posts, I don't believe that's what happened in this accident.

I was responding to the quote that "A frontal impact won't throw the driver into the back." It's certainly possible in some cars and in some accidents when not wearing a seat belt. There are videos on YouTube to prove it.

As I've mentioned in other posts, I don't believe that's what happened in this accident.
I saw what you wrote so didn’t misunderstand what you said, just adding my own thoughts to it about that and the post about a video. Heck my previous Avalon had plenty of above seat room for bodies to easily pass through. I realize not all our members or readers here are familiar with Teslas so wanted to describe seat positioning on a similar Model S to the one that crashed just to rule out in their minds that possibility in this crash.

Believe we are both Model S owners so well acquainted with the seat spacing in the car. ;)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

Yes, but I made that remark within the context of this thread. I'm sure we could find an example somewhere of a driver ending up the trunk after a crash, but it's not relevant.
This is the problem with threads of this type. People let their minds wander and start dreaming up all sorts of ridiculous scenarios when in actual fact the explanation is the most obvious one.

Reactions: BooMan

I’m skeptical of this video as well but there could have possibly been security footage captured from one of the homes on the street, expensives homes, good possibility. Who or what is “CI” anyway? Will be interested to see if there is more to this one person’s post. The 15 minute comment about crashing and then time to flames sounds plausible from what I’ve read of other battery accident cases (albeit not many) and pretty well matches the accident happening around 9pm with 911 call around 9:20 and responders arriving on scene by 9:25. The fire department was able to apply water quickly and said fire put out within a few minutes. Rear of car and tires back there still more or less intact and recognizable.
Maybe you should look at the crash site pictures a bit more closely. That tree in front of the Tesla has scrape marks as high as 8+ feet off the ground. That is where the nose of the car impacted and then slid down. The car has ran up on smaller trees / bushes. It is quite possible that it did not immediately slid down, but stayed on an angled up position for a while until the vegetation underneath (which kept it up) has burned away from the fire. If the car was angled up, it is much easier to imagine someone falling back to rear seat as gravity helps.

1619802646682.png

yes indeed. I was thinking more like a pound of salt :) Too much "hear-say" stuff going around. I'll believe it when it is proven.
Well, that person says he/she has an informer with first hand knowledge.

For eg., if the video is from a security camera from one of the nearby houses - someone in that house contacted this person, who created a new twitter account and posted the information. The informer gave the information to the Police who aren't releasing it - so the informer/twitter person think it is to protect the Constable.

There are several possibilities though.
- The informer is lying to the twitter person
- The informer is truthful, but the twitter person is not being truthful
- Both informer and twitter person are truthful
- The informer and the Twitter person are the same
- There is no informer, the twitter person is lying about the having special information

So if you are driving with Autosteer but using the accelerator manually, when you get to 90 mph Autosteer will disengage and you'll just go straight off the road at the next curve?

At 90 MPH, autosteer will disengage. It is accompanied by a loud beeping alarm and a "red hands" graphic on the screen that instructs the driver to take over immediately. This situation is immediately logged on-board, and may also be transmitted to Tesla.

Maybe you should look at the crash site pictures a bit more closely. That tree in front of the Tesla has scrape marks as high as 8+ feet off the ground. That is where the nose of the car impacted and then slid down. The car has ran up on smaller trees / bushes. It is quite possible that it did not immediately slid down, but stayed on an angled up position for a while until the vegetation underneath (which kept it up) has burned away from the fire. If the car was angled up, it is much easier to imagine someone falling back to rear seat as gravity helps.

View attachment 658411

Even if the car was for a brief time run up the tree (or maybe the marks are from car body parts exploding upwards against the tree?), I still don’t believe a body would slip out of the Model S driver’s seat and fall between the available space from seat head rest and headliner. An unbuckled child maybe but not a full grown adult male and from photos of the driver I’ve seen from his practice he was not a thin light man by my observation. I also woukd think if the car ran up the tree it would be more likely to remain on that angle with the rear of the car on the ground and the heavy weight of the MS holding and pressing it against the tree.

If the guys were going out for a launch “test drive”, I also find it kind of improbable that seat belts weren’t buckled. Logically would any of you not buckle in at the anticipated speed? So that would be another reason for not flying backwards over the seat. I see it more likely the driver was able to unbuckle himself after the crash, passenger did the same or driver helped unbuckle him in anticipation of exiting the car. From fire marshall report I thought maybe the passenger was either knocked out from impact or had died on impact based on positioning as I interpreted it. I’d bet the driver as a doctor and best friend of his did whatever he could to assist him trying to escape before abandoning that and climbing to the back to see if he could escape from the rear. I’m inclined to believe he became overcome by the smoke and lack of oxygen as the fire consumed the available air and he died falling back into one of the rear seats.

Last edited:
At 90 MPH, autosteer will disengage. It is accompanied by a loud beeping alarm and a "red hands" graphic on the screen that instructs the driver to take over immediately. This situation is immediately logged on-board, and may also be transmitted to Tesla.
Does it actually disengage or does it just beep and display the red hands while continuing to do the best that it can? (I know long ago I watched a video of a person that was in AP jail from ignoring the steering wheel torque reminders made AP continue to drive for hours by keeping his foot on the accelerator. No hands on the wheel and it continued to follow the highway. All the while beeping and displaying the red hands warning. And it turned the hazard lights on such that the driver couldn't turn them off.)

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Does it actually disengage or does it just beep and display the red hands while continuing to do the best that it can? (I know long ago I watched a video of a person that was in AP jail from ignoring the steering wheel torque reminders made AP continue to drive for hours by keeping his foot on the accelerator. No hands on the wheel and it continued to follow the highway. All the while beeping and displaying the red hands warning. And it turned the hazard lights on such that the driver couldn't turn them off.)
It will disengage and not allow it for the rest of the drive. At least that's how it worked 3 years ago when I found this out the hard way. I had to drive manually until the next off-ramp, where I was able to safely exit the interstate. I then got back on the interstate and was able to enable Autopilot again.