TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Updated Model S - Rear Facing Child Seats Ventilation?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by EV222, Apr 28, 2016.

1. EV222

EV222 Member

Does anyone know if Tesla updated the new Model S with ventilation for rear facing child seats? I can't find any new information on the site so I'm guessing they have not done anything different here?

I would think that this would be one thing to definitely change since it has been such an issue for owners with kids sitting back there. Does anyone have any definitive info?

2. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

Right now the 2 front seats don't get ventilation. I'd say it's safe to assume an optional row won't have it either. Only Model X gets it.

3. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

I think you misunderstood. They are not talking about the actual seats themselves being ventilated. They are talking about they actual ducting (or lack thereof) for the cooling to be routed to the back of the car. It is a well known complaint that air flow is poor back there and can get quite warm with the sun shining in. Not very comfortable for the kids.

OP, to answer your question, I have not seen or heard anything about this, so I assume nothing has changed. That would be a pretty extensive engineering design and don't see that happening anytime soon.

4. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Bump

Isn't there a bit of space under the rear bench seat where one of the dual chargers used to go? Or is this no longer available?

5. ifonul

ifonul Member

I have just put an order for a 'refreshed' model S with third row seating, and I asked the exact same question. Unfortunately, the answer was 'this is indeed a problem and the newer model does not make it any better'. The same answer as before - apply some Infrared Film to the rear liftgate glass.

6. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Thank you for asking. Shame that a solution isn't included as a part of the rear-facing seat option installation

7. bro1999

bro1999 Member

8. llngoc

llngoc Member

Just a note. If you are looking to get this option, be aware that it is not an usable item in the summer if you live anywhere gets above 80F. We can only use it in the winter months as our daughter can get sick from the lack of ventilation in the summer months. And hence we are getting a Model X now so we can get full utilization of the 6 seats.

A very well-built seats unit though. Not sure how Tesla could have let a "fatal" design flaw slipped by.

9. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

That actually looks pretty good (not perfect, perfect would be with the power brick/controller hidden out of sight, but I guess that's on Tesla), anyone have one? Does it work well?

10. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Not only did it slip by, they continue to sell the seats without mention anywhere about the lack of ventilation. If I didn't know what I was getting into pre-purchase, I'd be pissed when summer rolled around.

11. Cowby

Cowby Member

Yes, well known issue that doesn't seem to be addressable by Tesla. For me, maximum tinting (and if needed the rear sunshades) added...also for air flow, i either leave the pano and windows open or leave AC fan on high and direct vents to go up so air flows back there. Still get complaints from the kiddos sometimes tho. Not much can be done till Tesla routes an air duct to that section. There are others that have use these....

http://www.amazon.com/Extend-Your-Conditioning-Instantly-Honeycomb/dp/B00Z7109D0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_44&smid=A2P5I4NW0QQAX1

fugly tho...lol...I'm hoping to not have to resort to this.

12. tomp

tomp Member

There are a few DIY options. I recently redesigned my approach. I will post info about it soon, hopefully this weekend. it actually works pretty well.