Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated Model S - Rear Facing Child Seats Ventilation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if Tesla updated the new Model S with ventilation for rear facing child seats? I can't find any new information on the site so I'm guessing they have not done anything different here?

I would think that this would be one thing to definitely change since it has been such an issue for owners with kids sitting back there. Does anyone have any definitive info?

Right now the 2 front seats don't get ventilation. I'd say it's safe to assume an optional row won't have it either. Only Model X gets it.
I think you misunderstood. They are not talking about the actual seats themselves being ventilated. They are talking about they actual ducting (or lack thereof) for the cooling to be routed to the back of the car. It is a well known complaint that air flow is poor back there and can get quite warm with the sun shining in. Not very comfortable for the kids.

OP, to answer your question, I have not seen or heard anything about this, so I assume nothing has changed. That would be a pretty extensive engineering design and don't see that happening anytime soon.

Bump

Isn't there a bit of space under the rear bench seat where one of the dual chargers used to go? Or is this no longer available?
Does anyone know if Tesla updated the new Model S with ventilation for rear facing child seats? I can't find any new information on the site so I'm guessing they have not done anything different here?

I would think that this would be one thing to definitely change since it has been such an issue for owners with kids sitting back there. Does anyone have any definitive info?

I have just put an order for a 'refreshed' model S with third row seating, and I asked the exact same question. Unfortunately, the answer was 'this is indeed a problem and the newer model does not make it any better'. The same answer as before - apply some Infrared Film to the rear liftgate glass.

Just a note. If you are looking to get this option, be aware that it is not an usable item in the summer if you live anywhere gets above 80F. We can only use it in the winter months as our daughter can get sick from the lack of ventilation in the summer months. And hence we are getting a Model X now so we can get full utilization of the 6 seats.

A very well-built seats unit though. Not sure how Tesla could have let a "fatal" design flaw slipped by.

Check out this custom-made solution: Tesla AirTainment Console for Rear Facing Child Seats - Ventilation, Tablet Mount, and Dual USB Ports ****Patent Pending****

The person making these has contacted Tesla about purchasing the plans, but for the time being he is producing them by hand upon request. Said the unit is $650.
That actually looks pretty good (not perfect, perfect would be with the power brick/controller hidden out of sight, but I guess that's on Tesla), anyone have one? Does it work well?

Yes, well known issue that doesn't seem to be addressable by Tesla. For me, maximum tinting (and if needed the rear sunshades) added...also for air flow, i either leave the pano and windows open or leave AC fan on high and direct vents to go up so air flows back there. Still get complaints from the kiddos sometimes tho. Not much can be done till Tesla routes an air duct to that section. There are others that have use these....

http://www.amazon.com/Extend-Your-C...e&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_44&smid=A2P5I4NW0QQAX1

fugly tho...lol...I'm hoping to not have to resort to this.

I was in the showroom today, and he definitely mentioned the lack of ventilation in the trunk of Model S. It became a selling point for the 3rd row Model X. However, third row in Model X loses a lot of utility since the 2nd row can't be folded down. It does have adequate and separately controlled ventilation on the 2nd and 3rd row

After 1 year with my Model S with the 3rd row jumpseat, the solution I've come up with is to have 4 clip on fans with rechargeable batteries back there. I have 2 to draw air from the main cabin and 2 to provide fresh air to my kids. It has gotten to the point that my 8 year old gets queasy (he hasn't gotten sick in a car until the jumpseats).

These are fans I bought:
Amazon.com: SkyGenius Battery Operated Clip on Mini Desk Fan, Black: Home & Kitchen

On my next Model S, I'm going to pass on the jumpseat option. Or just get an X. I do like the option of sitting 7 people in the S, but the current setup is definitely lacking in the HVAC department!!

No vents back there but this is my simple solution that works fine:

My Rear Jumpseat Cooling Solution