Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgradable camera’s in the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t see why not, but unlikely.

At some point, the computer, cameras, motors, battery, and who knows what else will be be out of date. It’s just how new tech is.
Mind you, that won’t likely be for years, and it will still likely be ahead of competition. :)

In my opinion, just replacing the cameras won’t do much, unless the rest is done also.
That’s just a guess though. Who knows how much effort Tesla can financially put in to the upgradability of the Model 3 ?

Our cars will out live conventional cars for sure due to the software upgrades. My BMW, was old news 6 months after I bought it.
My Model 3 is still current a year and a half later. :)

I think by the time hardware upgrades are needed, we will be many years into lots of on going software upgrades, and it may not make financial sense. Who knows though. ?

What would you be hoping to gain for the cost of upgrade?

There is speculation that the Model Y has slightly different pilar cameras that feature a different aperture which might reduce “camera blinded” issues that might happen on the 3. Looking at Y it seems access to the cameras in that location is fairly easy (some pull off panels and probably glue holding the camera in place).

I doubt this would be offered to everyone, but Tesla could decide its needed for FSD customers as more features are rolled out... (those cameras probably are used more during automatic lane changes.)

Reactions: strykeroz
Short No... but...

Would go for a set of 8K camera's I mean most drones use them now, easy small form factor. As for the computer being able to take feeds in of that quality and encode on the fly... that will push it hard at high enough fps. Maybe an internal face tracking camera for each person. Watch their eyes light up with the acceleration! When can I use that internal model 3 camera currently dormant?

What I want are lots of camera angles for is on May 27th when spaceX launch astronauts to the international space station!

Interesting thread. Without having an understanding of exactly what the autopilot computer sees, it's hard to see what benefit this might provide.

I read that Sentry videos are significantly degraded from what gets fed to the computer, does anyone have any specifics on the cameras currently installed?