Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade option from Standard to Premium audio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if there's an easy path to upgrade from the standard audio system to the premium factory system? I know there are some wiring harness differences to accommodate the extra speakers and amp, but I'm wondering what the chances are that they built all cars with same harness (which would make an upgrade fairly easy).

Better sound would be nice, but even more important is keeping our car as factory stock as possible, so things like external subwoofers aren't an option.

Does anyone know if there's an easy path to upgrade from the standard audio system to the premium factory system? I know there are some wiring harness differences to accommodate the extra speakers and amp, but I'm wondering what the chances are that they built all cars with same harness (which would make an upgrade fairly easy).

Better sound would be nice, but even more important is keeping our car as factory stock as possible, so things like external subwoofers aren't an option.
I don't know if doing the upgrade yourself is feasible. I know the service center won't do it. One of the things I asked on my very first visit. I was told they get the request a lot and he'd pass it up again. Even if the it is physically possible to make most or all of the changes yourself, I suspect that it would require software modifications that you couldn't make without going to an unauthorized third party for the additional speakers to function.

I have both system, it's not worth the upgrade. It's nice to have though.
I find that hard to believe, the base system sounds utterly horrible to me, I feel like I got better sound out of premium oem systems with tape decks in the 90's.
Just get the front speakers changed to something decent. The factory 'premium' setup uses the speakers but adds an amp.

Upgraded front speakers have made a massive difference to the sound quality inour X with standard setup.
Which front speakers, specifically? This would certainly be simpler and less detectable, but it may contradict this thread.

I find that hard to believe, the base system sounds utterly horrible to me, I feel like I got better sound out of premium oem systems with tape decks in the 90's.Which front speakers, specifically? This would certainly be simpler and less detectable, but it may contradict this thread.

I have 4 cars, 2 of them have 2 speakers, you want to talk about bad you should try those.

I stick to what I say, my new car's premium sound is better than the base one, but it's not a world better. I still have to use the new dolby thingy to get the sound up.

A lot of the issues with auto speaker systems is due to the source material with compressed data.

Amazing how much better a system sounds with full range input.
Are you suggesting that the 320kbps MP3 I'm playing in the Model X has lower quality than the CD I burnt from the 320kbps MP3 for my previous vehicles?
I have 4 cars, 2 of them have 2 speakers, you want to talk about bad you should try those.

I stick to what I say, my new car's premium sound is better than the base one, but it's not a world better. I still have to use the new dolby thingy to get the sound up.
My first car had two speakers and a tape player; I'd say it was probably better than the base sound in my 2017 Model X, too.

Every car I've had with premium sound has been good enough that I didn't want to touch it, but I'm definitely not happy with the base sound in my X. I've gone from planning on buying a bunch more music that I like since I can change MP3s so much easier than discs to not buying the music because I simply leave the audio off.

It has already been shown that the wiring harness for the sub-woofer and extra amp are not there. So unless it is just a sub-harness and the connector for that is out of sight the chances are slim. More of a problem though is the chances are ZERO that Tesla would update your configuration to use the hardware even if you installed it.

It looks like one easy upgrade would be to replace the front 160mm speakers with the premium 200mm speakers. From what I can tell, the front door isn't any different, meaning they both mount in the same space. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?
One problem would be if the premium speakers are designed without low frequency, since the premium has a subwoofer. Anyone know?

It has already been shown that the wiring harness for the sub-woofer and extra amp are not there. So unless it is just a sub-harness and the connector for that is out of sight the chances are slim. More of a problem though is the chances are ZERO that Tesla would update your configuration to use the hardware even if you installed it.
Where is that thread? I'd like to take a look at it thanks