Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade, sell or keep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi guys
Sorry for doing another "help me please" post but I really need some help.

Bought a 75D in July 2016 right before AP2 came out and other battery updates.

Just for fun I asked Tesla how much they would give me for my car and it's basically 20k(CA$) under my loan balance.

If I want to upgrade to 100D to get the range and AP2.0 I have to finance 190k total because 170 for the car (including taxes) and 20 for my equity.

Id do it because I love my Tesla but here's the deal, model 3 is coming and I fear that model S prices are going to tank, especially my 75D based on range and acceleration that will be almost equal to model 3s.

Should I make the upgrade? Is it worth it? Seems awefully expensive for that car but the interest rates are amazingly low right now... Or should I sell my 75D before model 3 come out so I don't loose too much value ?

Or should I just stop worrying and enjoy the 75D?

It's my first luxury car and to be fair I didn't expect that much devaluation especially with a Tesla and obviously it will get worst.

I need help! Thanks
I hope I'm making sense :)

Keep driving what you have and enjoy it. Wait 3-4 years then upgrade. There will always be something newer ever year or so. Focus on enjoying what you have.

I had a 2012 S85, traded it in late 2016 for a 90D/AP2. Now there is the 100D... but I'm sticking to my happy talk and loving what I have. In 2020 I expect I'll upgrade again. Of course that will be "obsoleted" in 6 months by the flying version..... it never stops!

I guess the question is how much do you want the range? AP 2 is a work in progress and it will be a little while before it's equal to your AP1, so no rush to upgrade there. (I would wait until it's fully implemented vs spending that $$ now)

On the range issue, do you often have range issues when doing travel planning? Maybe in the winter? If so, then maybe the 100D would be worth the cost. But you didn't buy a 90 the first time around so, I am thinking maybe range wasn't that critical?

If it was me, I would keep the current car and wait for AP3.

Reactions: NeverFollow and GSP
Thanks for your reply guys

Range is a bit an issue in Canada especially in Quebec. I won't say I regret my 75D but I think 90D at the time was more appropriate. So 100D would help.

As far AP goes, I get the feeling that hardware will stay that way for a while since it's ready for automatic driving but I may be mistaken.

Sales rep is (obviously) pushing the sale these days saying the interest rates have never been this low and they will go back up in July.

Sales rep is (obviously) pushing the sale these days saying the interest rates have never been this low and they will go back up in July.
Beware of sales reps who think they know what the economy will do in the future. They would be hard pressed to know what the economy did last month. They only understand their own personal "economy". Keep the 75D unless you hate it. I bet you really do love it.

Reactions: NeverFollow
hi guys

Just for fun I asked Tesla how much they would give me for my car and it's basically 20k(CA$) under my loan balance.

If I want to upgrade to 100D to get the range and AP2.0 I have to finance 190k total because 170 for the car (including taxes) and 20 for my equity.

Id do it because I love my Tesla but here's the deal, model 3 is coming and I fear that model S prices are going to tank, especially my 75D based on range and acceleration that will be almost equal to model 3s.

Should I make the upgrade? Is it worth it? Seems awefully expensive for that car but the interest rates are amazingly low right now... Or should I sell my 75D before model 3 come out so I don't loose too much value ?

Or should I just stop worrying and enjoy the 75D?

It's my first luxury car and to be fair I didn't expect that much devaluation especially with a Tesla and obviously it will get worst.

I need help! Thanks
I hope I'm making sense :)

If you simply want the 100D go for it but I wouldn't base it on speculation that the your 75D is going to lose value due to the 3 release(cause that's not gonna happen but thats a different thread).

Reactions: NeverFollow
Again, thanks guys I think the answer is pretty obvious for you.

Do not upgrade. Huge financial mistake.

I know it is a huge financial mistake since I lose so much money, at the same time I can't help but think that buying a car is never a good financial move. But I know this one is really bad.

If you simply want the 100D go for it but I wouldn't base it on speculation that the your 75D is going to lose value due to the 3 release(cause that's not gonna happen but thats a different thread).

It's very important for me to figure this out. If model 3 has good range and good acceleration there is no need to pay for a 75D at all, especially if it doesn't have AP2. And now we see Tesla trying to down-sell model 3 so I don't think my car has such a great future but I might be wrong.

If you are worried about S prices tanking due to Model 3, consider the fact federal tax credits will be gone within a year or so largely due to the high volume sales of Model 3. Just as the existence of tax credits for new cars drives down used car values, disappearance of tax credits will drive up used prices. So whatever negative effect 3 has on used S prices is somewhat offset by this fact.

I don't pay much attention to this topic as the best way to limit depreciation worries is to buy a car and drive it for ten years or more. But if you are part of the latest is greatest crowd -- and it sounds like you may be --you'l likely pay a heavy price no matter your strategy.

I've found a new Model S 90D with AP2.0 full equipped for pretty much 20k$ less than the 100D with all the specs I want.
It all comes down to this : I change for 90D and lose (less) money or I keep my 75D for a while.

I don't pay much attention to this topic as the best way to limit depreciation worries is to buy a car and drive it for ten years or more. But if you are part of the latest is greatest crowd -- and it sounds like you may be --you'l likely pay a heavy price no matter your strategy.

I might be :)
I know its a mistake money-wise...buying a car is never a good investment

I’ll play devil’s advocate: I went from a 2016 70D bought right around when you bought yours to a 100D via a Tesla trade in, much like your situation. It took me several test drives with AP2 to convince myself that I’m okay with the transition but so far I love the decision and would make it again.

Right now, AP2 is already quite usable in most of the situations you’d be comfortable with using AP1. And it seems like improvements are being delivered pretty regularly. With the Model 3, Tesla seems committed to their current strategy and I think they can pull it off albeit not within their originally envisioned time frame.

The range improvement is really nice if you take supercharger road trips. At 230 rated miles (almost 100% of a 70D), the 100D still supercharged at 80+kW. I’ve been taking trips from SF to Vegas frequently and the charging times are almost cut in half with my new Tesla.

But again you should really ask yourself why you want to do this, and why now. If it’s about future proofing, don’t do it – Tesla announces new stuff every few months and you will likely have new car lust soon after delivery. If it’s really about the 100D range benefits, or if you feel like you “missed out” on that experience where every 5-6 weeks you do the firmware update dance and run down to your car to discover new features, go for it.

Call me crazy but ap1 was nice but the dead end nature of it bored me as an early adopter / techie type. I couldn’t stand being at the peak of any technology and have more enjoyment being on the rising edge than the plateau, even if it means a step down for a few months. Not everyone feels that way. In fact probably most people don’t feel that way.

You have already answered your own question ... :cool:

hi guys

Or should I just stop worrying and enjoy the 75D? :)

Reactions: KJD
But again you should really ask yourself why you want to do this, and why now. If it’s about future proofing, don’t do it – Tesla announces new stuff every few months and you will likely have new car lust soon after delivery. If it’s really about the 100D range benefits, or if you feel like you “missed out” on that experience where every 5-6 weeks you do the firmware update dance and run down to your car to discover new features, go for it.

Yeah I'm kind of disappointed because I just got it and it seems now that every other updates won't concern me...

Call me crazy but ap1 was nice but the dead end nature of it bored me as an early adopter / techie type. I couldn’t stand being at the peak of any technology and have more enjoyment being on the rising edge than the plateau, even if it means a step down for a few months. Not everyone feels that way. In fact probably most people don’t feel that way.

I feel that way. Lol
I know Elon said : If you want to drive only the most up to date car there is, don't buy a Tesla. But I feel like with AP2.0 it kind of hit their peak. In the end, buying a model S just weeks before AP2 came out is unlucky if tech is really important for you.