Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to 75kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only reason I would do an upgrade would be if I did a lot of road trips. Additional range is useful when you want to avoid frequent stops at superchargers but as a daily driver, 210 miles is plenty since you will be charging every night anyway. The additional $8k might be way more than what you would spend on electricity for the life of the car ;)

Reactions: javawolfpack
I'm torn... kind of need to see how the 60 does on road trips/long drives. But agree w/ @Austin Powers that the majority of the time the 60's range isn't an issue and the fact you can regularly charge to 100% kind of limits my incentive to upgrade. But having been working on an EV planning tool and planning a few road trips, I think the extra range might help with anxiety more than anything... so something I might consider.

The upgrade is available for purchase on the Tesla store ... details on the MyTesla account page. :cool:

upload_2016-8-5_17-35-48.png

At this moment I do not plan on upgrading. But when I have driven the S for a year and have been on a few long trips I can re-assess.
I do like having that option. Unlike California or the LA area the SC's here are mostly empty. If I had to wait in line to charge often I could see upgrading

I have the software limited 70D (lucky order timing).
Charging to 96% is 90% of the physical battery, which is fine to do daily.
Even charging to 100% is still kinder to the battery than doing so with the 75 upgrade.

I charge to 100% daily with my 60. Which is equivalent to 80% of a 75 which is recommended. So my daily routine would be the same. It would just be a matter of determining if those extra "40" miles are worth the $9000 upgrade.

I'm about to order a 60D (can't wait) but can't justify the price of the 75 upgrade. My daily commute is ~110-115 miles (80% highway at 75MPH and 20% stop & go city driving). How much range are you getting when you charge as you suggest.

No need to upgrade, you enjoy most of the 75 kWh benefit "free", except you need that extra range in reality. or "anxiety"?

I drove from Bay area to Reno, and I only charge in the middle once:
Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 5.37.55 PM.png
And Trip A is almost the whole trip:
I hit a average 278 Wh/mi, btw I drone mostly 70 mi/h with AP
IMG_0941.jpg

Reactions: Austin Powers
I'm about to order a 60D (can't wait) but can't justify the price of the 75 upgrade. My daily commute is ~110-115 miles (80% highway at 75MPH and 20% stop & go city driving). How much range are you getting when you charge as you suggest.

Test out your commute route on the EV Trip Planner
You can adjust the variables to reflect your actual speed, temperature and model. :cool:

upload_2016-8-14_19-21-5.png

I've gotta laugh and being worried about range with so many superchargers on that map :)
Here in Aus we have two cities connected (Sydney and Melbourne). Anywhere else and we are still slow charging wherever we can get it...

I've gotta laugh and being worried about range with so many superchargers on that map :)
Here in Aus we have two cities connected (Sydney and Melbourne). Anywhere else and we are still slow charging wherever we can get it...

I have to agree ... we are really spoiled here in California with the number of Superchargers :cool:
Funny thing is that we often have to wait for a charging spot with the large number of Teslas!