Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to FSD before increase?

Will you upgrade to FSD before price goes to $10,000

• Yes

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 137 81.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got my car end 2018, it came with no autopilot, so I paid an extra $5k for Enhanced Autopilot on Hardware 2.5. I've been using NOA on freeways for 2 years. Worth every penny.

Last year I added $3k to get the HW 3.0 and a gradual development of additional automation under the "FSD" label. $8k total for automation features.

I love operating the car in all its modes. I know what mode works best for me, and when. Nothing is forcing or depriving me of anything.

I've never expected, or wanted, the car to go off self-driving to the store for milk. Not any more than you'd put a 787 in autopilot on the tarmac, have all the occupants exit, and wave it goodbye. It's been a great assistant partner on the road, in all its modes, and I'm happy to watch it do more, in more contexts, with every update. More sub-tasks I can delegate. More choices. Reptiles have to manually control body temp, moving in and out of the sun. To each his own. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tron 3
The FSD take rate seemed to be higher with the pricier models according to data I've seen posted on sites like Teslike. As of today, for the Model Y, it's about 68% according to their spreadsheet. And one can assume >50% for the S and X. So if these numbers are accurate, how much is the price hike to 10k expected to affect the take rate? You might surprised. I don't think it will make that big a difference on the higher end models. Only for the Model 3 (current take is about 37% according to Teslike)might there be a bigger dip.Tesla knows what they're doing. For the lower end, they have the upcoming subscription model.

IMO, long-term owners who really want FSD, should consider getting it now if finances allow. Sure, there's the upcoming subscription model, but who knows what the price or plan structure might be.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fernand and dmurphy
I suspect that Tesla and all the upcoming EV makers will be coming out with improvement and better features every year at a phenomenal rate. We are just in the beginning of all of this. In 5 years I will bet that the Model 3 (or it's equivalent) will be totally different than what we see today. I bet that lots of people will be trading in their old Teslas to buy new ones and often. They may even go for other brands. My point here is that in even 10 years - a 2020 Model 3 will be a museum piece. We will have EV's on the market that we can only dream of today. I really like my model 3. But to expect that it will be relevant in 10 years is really wishful thinking. That always hasn't been the case.

Flash back to the year 2000 --- people kept cars longer because 2005 or 2010 cars didn't really offer that much more. Well,things are changing.

Cars have never been a "rational" purchase. People will buy FSD now if they can get the money and decide to spend it. It's not a logical decision. With most people there's nothing logical about what they buy or how much they pay. If people want FSD now, then they should buy it (if they can afford it). If you want it - there is some gratification from getting into the technology at the ground floor.

Reactions: Fernand
FWIW, I think $10k is simply over the line on a $40k car.

Especially for older drivers, for whom greater automation
is a lifeline, a way to prolong independent living.
It's been mentioned here a few times, and it's no joke.
You're right -- $10K is definitely a bit much for an option on a $40K car.

But ... for "us" older drivers (I am 67), automation is not a lifeline. The way all of this is seen legally is that FSD or not, we are driving the car. If we aren't capable of driving anymore, FSD will still be our responsibility. If anything, people using FSD when they shouldn't be on the road will invite further scrutiny into people putting away the keys as they get older. If we hit someone, we can't blame it on FSD. We are still driving the car.

Changing those principles will take a very long time.

We're not talking about people who are e.g. legally half blind or anything so disabling. Or not paying attention. But we all age, and in a technically advanced world, people are wisely taking advantage of better glasses, hearing aids, supporting shoes, walking sticks. Assisted steering. Power brakes. Cruise control. On-screen and speaking GPS. Stop talking about "FSD" as driver replacement. That's fantasy for now. It's part of a continuum that we've all bought into, long, long ago.

A 20 year old might be great in a 1954 Triumph TR2, stick shift, paper maps. And tools to sync up the carburetors on the side of the freeway. For most people over 50 it's not a good fit. And everyone's better off if Dad is driving a car with more assists.

Last edited:
A 20 year old might be great in a 1954 Triumph TR2, stick shift, paper maps. And tools to sync up the carburetors on the side of the freeway. For most people over 50 it's not a good fit. And everyone's better off if Dad is driving a car with more assists.

Stills sounds fun to an old TR3 driver in the day.

Full FSD will be required in a few years. They just keep putting more of the bits as
a requirement n the EU. As an ageing driver I see how this expands the life time of driving.
When the car can do 90% of my driving without me, it will be worth the price at the time.
I think a lot of us pushed hard on the price just to get the car. If you have the money it
is a no brainer, if you do not work, well maybe its on the list.

I have decided I will not be buying. Maybe a subscription or when cost come way down. This is currently like anything else new, at first high price and then becomes a commodity. My first lcd monitor was 1000 dollars, now they cost nothing. Radar cruise control was a huge option, now it's almost free. Competition will come in fierce soon.

Im not a nay sayer but I have high expectations before plopping down such a large amount of money. Im not putting 5-10k down for mediocrity. The boring part of driving is already covered with regular AP. Until I can take a nap and not baby the car, then I'll consider. All it takes is a few accidents caused by FSD for regulators to completely shut it down.

Im just hoping this rewrite fixes all phantom braking - because if they can't how do you expect me to trust FSD on a more complex road?

For me, the subscription will likely be the way I go. That 2k I couldve bought FSD with (since I have enhanced AP), I have invested it instead and made more than what the upgrade costs now. What would have it given me since that time? The mediocre ability to stop and go at lights? eh. To those of you who believe that FSD will be safer than you driving yourself anytime soon are dreamers. Thats likely a ways off and also a ways off before insurance companies will recognize FSD as being safe, if anything they would increase premiums based on Autopilot's imperfect history.

...it's your money...but consider this...that notion is based on current status....not a long range outlook.

If I recall, thinking that one accident will shut this down....won't happen. Accidents even before this release have already been happening with lower levels of automation....it's just going to be ubiquitous.... As much as I think tesla's are junky quality cars...they are heading in the right direction of the way we get around.

What's truly interesting to see is the flying car development....that will truly be a serious game changer...people will no longer be limited to stay within continents....imagine that....learn from history.

$10,000 would be fine if it was a true autonomous autopilot were you get in it and go without having to baby sit it. This is what Elon has been selling to many for years now. FSD is just around the corner now, “we are just turning the corner”

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my electric car but real FSD is a snake oil salesman making a profit.

Reactions: Gasman23
No doubt. The longer you wait to buy a Tesla the better experience you will have. Glad I jumped in 2018 just to experience the technology. BUT at this point, between battery day and the S price cuts I have now solidly entered the "Osborne" zone. I will shop Tesla cars again in 2022/23.
We get a Tesla now, then buy the latest and greatest in 5-10 years! Best of both! No complaints here ever about my Model 3!

I thought so too until I thought about it last night. I'm fine waiting the extra year or few until it becomes more common place and prices drop.

$10,000 would be fine if it was a true autonomous autopilot were you get in it and go without having to baby sit it. This is what Elon has been selling to many for years now. FSD is just around the corner now, “we are just turning the corner”

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my electric car but real FSD is a snake oil salesman making a profit.

I get all the arguments pro/con about whether FSD is worth it. Where I get hung up is on the attachment to the VIN, not the owner/account. If the car is totaled that FSD option is lost and unrecoverable. The subscription option would take care of that, but who knows what the terms will be? Will the monthly cost scale along with the perpetual license fee?

Tied to account would be better and keep people locked in to Tesla. They doing it this way because far less lawsuits when they can't do it and most people have long since sold the cars. People can get mad about that but Tesla is banking on the fact that most people won't have the car long enough to call them on the nonsense. It's impressive from the new beta videos but still years away from being more than an impressive toy that you still have to watch.

I get all the arguments pro/con about whether FSD is worth it. Where I get hung up is on the attachment to the VIN, not the owner/account. If the car is totaled that FSD option is lost and unrecoverable. The subscription option would take care of that, but who knows what the terms will be? Will the monthly cost scale along with the perpetual license fee?