Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does buying FSD include hardware upgrades if necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the past, Tesla did free hardware upgrades for people who bought FSD early on and needed upgrades to make it work. Is that still the case for new purchases? This assumes current cars will even need any upgrades. It seems the general consensus on this forum is that FSD in it's current form is not worth the price, but I was just curious if Tesla still does this or if there is something in their current purchase agreements to the contrary. The subscription pricing definitely does not include upgrades, but I wasn't sure if purchasing FSD still included it.

Interesting observation, I have never read the purchase agreement from this perspective. However, for fully paid up FSD License the customer has a valid point that Tesla never delivered what was paid for when the car was purchased nor did Tesla mention that upgraded HW( which the customer has to pay separately) will be required in future to run FSD. In the when customer has complained on non delivery of FSD paid up license, I have heard that Tesla has refunded the FSD price. There is no clear written policy which buyers can see and that is the most unfortunate thing we have to deal with.

In the past, Tesla did free hardware upgrades for people who bought FSD early on and needed upgrades to make it work...
Not true so far. People who paid for FSD with MCU1 had to pay again for MCU2 in order to get the current version of FSD.

Some think that they don't need to pay for MCU2 because Tesla will make FSD compatible with MCU1 but so far, it is not true since 2016 or the past 6 years. Maybe it'll be true if you give Tesla another 6 years but there's no confidence that paying Tesla fully once means just that.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Thanks for the replies. It seems more and more that the better idea is to buy the subscription instead of paying outright. This way you can just subscribe when you want to use it. It’s also probably a much better deal to subscribe for people who don’t hold onto their cars for a long time.

Thanks for the replies. It seems more and more that the better idea is to buy the subscription instead of paying outright. This way you can just subscribe when you want to use it. It’s also probably a much better deal to subscribe for people who don’t hold onto their cars for a long time.
Another option worth considering is buying EAP for $6k and then subscribing to FSD for $100/month if and when you want it. Other than access to the Beta, the FSD option offers very little that isn’t included in EAP.

Another option worth considering is buying EAP for $6k and then subscribing to FSD for $100/month if and when you want it. Other than access to the Beta, the FSD option offers very little that isn’t included in EAP.
That's what I was thinking. I have a 2020 MY right now which I bought FSD for half of the current price and I'm looking into a new MY. I really only use FSD beta as a gimmick when I'm bored and then turn it off whenever it tries to kill me. The EAP functions are pretty much what I use more consistently.

In April 2019 Tesla drastically changed the FSD description. They're very close to providing 100% of the new FSD description which means no free hardware upgrades once that's done.

For those that purchased O.G. FSD, I would assume Tesla is on the hook to provide hardware upgrades until all advertised features get delivered...which we all know that's a long ways away.

Reactions: pilotSteve
tried to get an answer through the chat.....

Hi, could you please confirm if purchasing FSD for $15,000.00 would include future hardware upgrades for free?
1:36 PM
Great question, let me get clarity on this real quick.
1:39 PM
hich Model are you interested in?
model y
1:40 PM
Awesome, I would be happy to assist with the reservation process. And I was able to confirm that there is no fee associated with FSD updates!
1:41 PM
Have you already built that Model Y out?
ok, so the hardware (not software) upgrades are included with the upfront purchase of FSD?
Any updates associated with FSD are free, FSD itself is a software. Have you built the Model Y out David?
1:43 PM
I understand that the software updates are free but could you please confirm if Hardware upgrades are included?
1:44 PM
so for example, if tesla releases new cameras in the future, my cameras will be upgraded free of charge
There won't be hardware updates, cameras are not associated with FSD. Cameras come with the Model regardless of FSD being on the car or not. If you would like updated features that come with the Model, you would need to upgrade to a new Model.
1:49 PM
i understand, but what would happen if different cameras or a new radar is required for FSD, would a car purchased without a radar and prepaid FSD be eligable to receive the new radar free of charge?
1:51 PM
I'll have someone follow up with you on this since it seems like you are still in the research phase of things.
Thanks for chatting in and if you need anything else please reach back out.
An agent has left the chat

tried to get an answer through the chat.....

Hi, could you please confirm if purchasing FSD for $15,000.00 would include future hardware upgrades for free?
1:36 PM
Great question, let me get clarity on this real quick.
hich Model are you interested in?
model y
1:40 PM
Awesome, I would be happy to assist with the reservation process. And I was able to confirm that there is no fee associated with FSD updates!
Have you already built that Model Y out?
ok, so the hardware (not software) upgrades are included with the upfront purchase of FSD?
Any updates associated with FSD are free, FSD itself is a software. Have you built the Model Y out David?
1:43 PM
I understand that the software updates are free but could you please confirm if Hardware upgrades are included?
so for example, if tesla releases new cameras in the future, my cameras will be upgraded free of charge
There won't be hardware updates, cameras are not associated with FSD. Cameras come with the Model regardless of FSD being on the car or not. If you would like updated features that come with the Model, you would need to upgrade to a new Model.
1:49 PM
i understand, but what would happen if different cameras or a new radar is required for FSD, would a car purchased without a radar and prepaid FSD be eligable to receive the new radar free of charge?
I'll have someone follow up with you on this since it seems like you are still in the research phase of things.
Thanks for chatting in and if you need anything else please reach back out.
An agent has left the chat
I can't help but laugh at this. Either that person had no clue what you are talking about or they just don't care and want to push a new car on you. Or maybe both. It seems like the only people who know anything about what's going on at Tesla are the people that we have no way of communicating with. All of the customer service and sales people don't seem to know anything about how the cars actually work.

It seems like the only people who know anything about what's going on at Tesla are the people that we have no way of communicating with. All of the customer service and sales people don't seem to know anything about how the cars actually work.
This is exactly right. At least, that's been my experience since I bought my car in August of 2019. It's actually amazing at how little the people that work at Tesla know about the products they sell.

The people that are actually turning wrenches in the service center DO know what they're talking about, though, but it is extremely difficult to get an opportunity to actually talk to one of them.

Honestly, the best way to learn about Tesla vehicles is here on the forums. Either that, or have a Mobile Service Technician come to your house to work on your car. I had one come to my house to replace a headlight module, and the poor guy must've felt like he was being interrogated by the Gestapo by the time he left. I sat there and asked him questions non-stop. He didn't really have too much choice in the matter, either, as it turned out replacing a simple headlight module on my car ended up being a two man job, and I was the second man. :D

Reactions: dbldwn02
Add me to the list....2017 MS AP3/MCU1 (Original Cameras still)

Colorado Springs Service Center...

Are they lazy or just uneducated??? I'm 50/50...

Screenshot_20221209-204323.png

My understanding is yes and was part of the reason I purchased FSD outright with my 2020 Model Y. Tesla upgraded equipment for AP2 and AP2.5 owners when they determined their equipment would not be sufficient and FSD is now rolling out to people with MCU1 so those customers don't HAVE to pay for an upgrade (but I would if I were them to get the better media experience). Since I have paid for FSD, if Tesla determines that my car needs some new sensor or other hardware for it to work, I think I'm covered.
That said, I've been in the FSDBeta for over a year and my car seems to see surrounding traffic just fine. Where it needs help is with path prediction and lane planning which has been improving with each release. In my opinion, my car "can" fully self drive now under limited conditions, but further software iterations will expand the number of places and situations in which it can do so (in a way that will not annoy other drivers).

Once Tesla releases FSD city streets to all FSD cars, presumably in the holiday update, they will deem themselves to having delivered on all capabilities promised. No free hardware upgrades beyond HW3 will be forthcoming. At some point, Tesla will introduce HW4, or some other changes that may make FSD better, but you will not be entitled to free upgrades simply because your FSD is not as good as the latest hardware or cannot take advantage of new capabilities or hardware.

This is, IMHO, one of the reasons for the big push to deliver FSDb to everyone by the end of the year. It paves the way for Tesla to introduce new hardware without the HUGE liability to upgrade hundreds of thousands of existing FSD cars.

Once Tesla releases FSD city streets to all FSD cars, presumably in the holiday update, they will deem themselves to having delivered on all capabilities promised. No free hardware upgrades beyond HW3 will be forthcoming. At some point, Tesla will introduce HW4, or some other changes that may make FSD better, but you will not be entitled to free upgrades simply because your FSD is not as good as the latest hardware or cannot take advantage of new capabilities or hardware.

This is, IMHO, one of the reasons for the big push to deliver FSDb to everyone by the end of the year. It paves the way for Tesla to introduce new hardware without the HUGE liability to upgrade hundreds of thousands of existing FSD cars.
Completely agree with the entirety of your post, with the exception of the statement in bold. If the bold statement was changed to read, "Once Tesla releases a version of FSD that isn't beta to all FSD cars...."

For the peeps that don't agree with him/me, keep in mind that Elon deemed the software "Feature complete" in October of 2020, at which point it went out to the true Early Access guys (like Dirty Tesla, etc.). One year later almost to the day, it went out to the initial round of Safety Score people. Recently, a bunch more people have been brought in, with wide availability happening "real soon now."

In Elon's mind, all of the promised features are there, they just aren't polished/working as intended, need tweaking, etc. Once version 1.0 hits, he's fulfilled his obligation... again, in his mind (and probably with Tesla's legal team agreeing with him). Whether he's right or wrong is up for each of us to decide for ourselves.

That doesn't mean they're done developing it, though; Elon really does want to reach Level 5 autonomy. But as far as meeting his initial promises made on the car configurator that everyone used to purchase their vehicles up til this point, he feels he's met that obligation with his "feature complete" version 1.0 release.

Don't shoot the messenger. ;)

Last edited: