Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to MCU2 and AP HW3.0 [Europe]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my case there were 2 things when I picked up my early 2018 after MCU2 and HW3 upgrade:
1) AP was not working, this was a known software issue at a time and an over the air update next day fixed it
2) Mobile app did not lock or unlock the car/trunk/frunk , they remotely reset app keys and it was fixed

what went wrong?

I have a clonk every 3 seconds from the passenger side, I was told this would end when the camera alignment had completed, alignment completed but the clonk remains.
Reboots, power downs and software updates have produced no progress.

Turns out there was some "manufacturing plastic" stuck in one of the 2 cooling fans, so it was trying to restart and failing every 3s, a;; fixed now

Did you get a quote via Tesla app or mail for the CHF 2'600.- from the SC Schlieren ?
no, very special case. I have a lot of issues with connectivity lost that does not come back (there is a thread from me on the subject).
Basically, now, more and more the case happens that when I lost the connectivity (every night when going into the garage) or travelling to France / Germany, the connectivity does not come back so I have to reset the MCU.
It becomes unbearable.

But together with that, my MCU1 is awfully slow:
  • redraw takes forever
  • calculation of routes as well
  • I have to try between 8 to 10 times to have a voice command executed (so it is basically useless)
  • now, even when I can see my car in the app, summon failed because of connectivity issue or even does not succeed to connect
So it seems the issue was escalated to Netherlands and in the works by Tesla programmers. But in the meantime, I negotiated to have the MCU upgraded as it seems like it is dying anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: PatrickCH4313
Just an update on the HW3 upgrade for my 2017 Model S 75D.
Just whaou... It is just absolutely night and day:
  • much much MUCH more snappy. Everything, from map redraw to pinch and zoom to navigation. It could take up to 30s to 1mn to calculate an itinerary of 20km whereas now it is just a very few sec. But we all knew that.
  • all the goddies or MCU2: Sentry Mode review within the car (awesome), addition of rear camera filming, side camera in reverse, Netflix/YouTube...
  • sound: I used the nice post here MCU2 Upgrade Audio EQ Balancing - Coming From MCU1 to tweak the equalization (2 band and 4 band slightly up and the last band quite up to make for lack of high treeble)
  • HW3: the nicest thing obviously is that it comes with HW3 and HW3, no matter what people say, behaves much smoother than HW2.5. And it comes with stop, lights recognition and especially at last speed signs recognitions!
All in all, it is just a NO BRAINER for older Model S, making it brand new for a very reasonable price. Kudos Tesla!
20201013_180453.jpg

20201013_180318_resized.jpg
20201013_180524.jpg
20201013_180453.jpg
20201013_182837.jpg
20201013_180528.jpg

Last edited:
I just got an SMS from Tesla to accept the MCU2 upgrade invoice (via the Tesla app).

MCU2 Upgrade incl. 17' screen = CHF 2'414.11 (incl. labor)
Taxe CH (7.7 %) = CHF 185.90
Total invoice = CHF 2'600.01

MCU2 Upgrade invoice details :
MCU2 Invoice details.png

Last edited: