Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded to OEM Red Calipers-MXP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to thank EAS in Anaheim! They were able to order and install the Tesla Red Calipers for my 2022 Model X Plaid. They did an amazing job and I keep going back to them for upgrades on my Tesla. Here is a link to photos. Tom is on these forums and communication is amazing and their work is top notch. This is coming from someone who has OCD with his car lol! Anybody who wants the actual Tesla red calipers should contact them!

Tesla Model X - OEM Red Brake Calipers

Thanks Tom! Will be bringing my car back soon for some of the other things we discussed!View attachment 943058
Tom there are people saying the rear is basically a standard brake with a caliper cover. Can you confirm or deny that claim?

seems people keep asking. can you just post the cost? or are they different prices for different people? Is there a forum rule against this? just wondering. Was this ordered from Tesla and EAS do the work? I remember seeing an email from Tesla that says red calipers is now an available upgrade.

-ThinkMac-

seems people keep asking. can you just post the cost? or are they different prices for different people? Is there a forum rule against this? just wondering. Was this ordered from Tesla and EAS do the work? I remember seeing an email from Tesla that says red calipers is now an available upgrade.

-ThinkMac-
I went ahead and requested service from Tesla. My invoice shows $440 for each caliper, labor was $459 and they added new brake lines ($28 each) and fluid (8.25) surprisingly I didn’t see new brake pads total was 2471 including tax

Attachments

• IMG_0394.jpeg
    IMG_0394.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: ithinkmac

-ThinkMac-
Business matters and pricing are always done privately.

Prices change frequently from manufacturers and may not be the same as once was posted a week ago or months from when the thread was originally started.

Business matters and pricing are always done privately.

Prices change frequently from manufacturers and may not be the same as once was posted a week ago or months from when the thread was originally started.
Tom do the rear calipers have a plastic cover? The pictures make it appear that the rear caliper has a plastic cover and not the same as the 6 piston the front has. I understand about 90% of the braking is done by the front, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the rear brakes were lower performance.

Tom do the rear calipers have a plastic cover? The pictures make it appear that the rear caliper has a plastic cover and not the same as the 6 piston the front has. I understand about 90% of the braking is done by the front, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the rear brakes were lower performance.
These are Genuine Tesla Calipers, which are equipped with a rear cover as seen in the photos on the first page.

Last edited:
Tom does the rear have plastic? I’m not sayin they weren’t genuine. I just wanted to understand whether the rear caliper had a plastic cover like some are reporting.
They are metal, not plastic. I tapped on one at a PPF installers location as they had a plaid X awaiting service. It’s held on by 1 bolt. Please see this broken set on eBay for details. I have been searching non stop to find these covers but no luck what so ever. Non plaid X has covers as well on the rears so I feel the bolt is present and it should be a direct swap.

Scheduled an appt for brake upgrade / retrofit for 22MXP in early Sept and it kept getting pushed out since parts were on back order. Now the Tesla service center has canceled the request altogether stating they’re not providing this service for foreseeable future. I’m in the Bay Area, CA. Anyone else have similar experience? Any suggestions on options I should consider?

Reactions: Daytonaviolet
Scheduled an appt for brake upgrade / retrofit for 22MXP in early Sept and it kept getting pushed out since parts were on back order. Now the Tesla service center has canceled the request altogether stating they’re not providing this service for foreseeable future. I’m in the Bay Area, CA. Anyone else have similar experience? Any suggestions on options I should consider?
Same thing happened to me. The day of when it was originally offered, I made an appointment. Day of appointment they had my car all day, by 5pm they said it was done. When I picked it up, nothing was done. They said it was back ordered and they will contact me when it’s available. Since then I kept call and setting up appointments. They just cancel and say it’s out of stock.

This is the first I heard that it’s no longer offered 🤷‍♂️

You can check out Tesery caliper covers. We provide premium brake caliper covers made of 6061-T6 Aerospace Aluminum, which can be a great addition to your vehicle. These covers are designed to help protect your tire calipers from rust.

You can check out Tesery caliper covers. We provide premium brake caliper covers made of 6061-T6 Aerospace Aluminum, which can be a great addition to your vehicle. These covers are designed to help protect your tire calipers from rust.
Can you make a rear caliper cover for which looks identical to the 23-24 plaid ? The rear covers just bolt over the calipers. The black ones are the 2022 rear caliper covers. Red ones are current ones. The red ones are more pointed .

Attachments

• IMG_3869.jpeg
    IMG_3869.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3868.jpeg
    IMG_3868.jpeg
    535 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3870.jpeg
    IMG_3870.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Just discovered this Thread. I have been in the (long-term) process of investigating how to get as-authentic-as-possible red (performance) brake calipers on my 2021 (built Dec. 2022) Model X Long Range+. Some comments (sorry for delay in responding):
  • @cali_doc:
    • Good job finding an auto shop that would work with you to modify stock Tesla brakes. I wish European Auto Source had a store in the Sacramento area.
    • I had just assumed that Model X Plaid always came with red calibers (Tesla Part Numbers 1420643-00-A and 1420644-00-A). But I guess not?
    • I assume that you went with EAS because Tesla wouldn't do the work for you?
  • @GasNah:
    • The years that the OP's calipers will fit are probably (April) 2021+ (i.e., the refreshed Model X years).
  • @Loco_Nomad:
    • See final bullet point below (under "All")
  • @kazaam:
    • Not sure about 2022 Model X Plaid vs. 2022 Model X Long Range+--see the Tesla Parts Catalog.
    • However, from 2015 to 2021 brakes were mostly interchangeable among the various Model X models (except keeping in mind the rear Brembo to rear Mando switch around 2016/2017).
  • @MLo1:
    • The rear caliper is not just a standard caliper with a cover. That rumor may have started because of the whole Model Y performance brake caliper scandal. But Models 3 and Y use different brakes, I believe.
    • Since ~ 2017 rear Model X (and Model S) brakes are (less powerful) Mando brakes. They work slightly differently from the (more powerful) front Brembo brakes. With the Mandos, there is a large piece (bracket?) that slides in and out (with hydraulic pressure). That is the piece that looks like a cover. It is not a cover, per se, but is part of the whole cast aluminum assembly. At least, that is how it is on the "Legacy" rear Mando brake calipers, and from photos it appears to be the same for the "refreshed" models.
    • The rear brake does not have a plastic cover, afaik. (It doesn't on the "Legacy" rear brakes.) It is just the way the rear Mando brakes are built (of a cast alloy, I believe).
  • @unowned:
    • I suspect that after having the work done the Tesla App/touch screen avatar would not show red brake calipers. (See next comments.)
  • @Daytonaviolet:
    • Yes, I can see why a track package would cause the avatar to change the brake color, since it is an official Tesla upgrade and the SC probably automatically makes the switch as part of installing the new hardware.
    • But simply modifying brakes, especially by a non-Tesla business, would normally not cause the change to be made by Tesla.
    • Possible exceptions:
      • If the registered business can access and change the car's internal Tesla software code.
      • If the work was performed by a licensed business registered with Tesla and the business or car owner makes a request through channels to Tesla.
      • If the owner can bring the (now modified) car to a Tesla SC and ask for the switch to be made. (Service request probably required.)
      • If a Tesla mobile service tech can make the (software) switch. (Service request probably required.)
  • @NorCalChef and @Daytonaviolet :
    • Hmm. Yes. PM me about this.
  • All:
    • AFAIK, Models S and X always used the same OEM brake calipers (with respective performance and non-performance calipers colors). Also, there was no mechanical difference between performance and non-performance Models S & X OEM brakes, I believe.
      |
    • From 2012 (for Model S) and from 2015 (for Model X) to ~2016 Models S & X used four (red or gray) Brembo brakes. The rear wheels also had separate, smaller (gray) parking brake calipers.
    • From ~2017 to March 2021 Models S & X used (red or gray) rear Mando brake calipers with built-in electric parking brake servo motors.
      |
    • After March 2021 Models S & X were "refreshed," and newer versions of the front (still Brembo?) and rear (still Mando?) calipers were used.
    • It appears, from photos, that the "refreshed" front brake calipers will not fit "Legacy" models. (E.g., because of the bolt orientation.) I can't be sure of the rear brake calipers.
      |
    • Don't mean to sound like an expert. But how do I think I know all this? The Tesla online Parts Catalog. If parts numbers change significantly, I assume that parts are not interchangeable (unless proven otherwise).
    • Regardless, there is no reason to try to fit, for example, 2022 brakes onto 2018 cars, as the 20212-2021 brake parts are still available from Tesla, I believe. (However, they may have to be ordered by a valid auto parts dealer registered with Tesla? Tesla brakes seem quite proprietary.)

Last edited: