Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading AP cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, first time posting, been just reading on the forum for a while but couldn't find the information I am about to post, and figure it's my time to contribute.
I own a May 2017 Model S with FSD, upgraded infotainment system, upgraded HW to HW3, and got a notification on the tesla app to schedule a camera upgrade in November. Scheduled it for earlier this week, and 5 cameras were changed out, two on each side of the car ( pillar, quarter panel) and one in the front.
When I sat in the car to pick up my car, I recorded a sentry mode footage to see how it looks, and I was surprised to see that it is not in full color... My husband's AP2.5 2018 Model X's cameras are all full color, so I was expecting to see that after the camera upgrade. Maybe most of you already know it won't be full color, but I didn't. I thought it would be full color like the backup camera, but instead, red looks orange, and blue shows actual blue now, previously blue was muted.
I asked the service advisor, he asked the tech, and the response is the cameras were indeed changed, he even showed me the cameras that were switched out, and since i wrapped my quarter panel cameras, I know he showed me my old cameras. The new side camera on the car is now back to silver casing color (note this means it is not the latest 2021 model S camera, as they are now with black casing). service advisor said the part numbers they put in is correct, there are certain part numbers they are allowed to use for the camera upgrade, and they couldn't use the latest camera's model numbers.

Hopefully this information is helpful for anyone with a 2017 or older Model S that is going to get the camera upgrade. I have gotten a lot of good information from the forum. Thanks you all for your contribution!

Reactions: X Fan
Hello all, first time posting, been just reading on the forum for a while but couldn't find the information I am about to post, and figure it's my time to contribute.
I own a May 2017 Model S with FSD, upgraded infotainment system, upgraded HW to HW3, and got a notification on the tesla app to schedule a camera upgrade in November. Scheduled it for earlier this week, and 5 cameras were changed out, two on each side of the car ( pillar, quarter panel) and one in the front.
When I sat in the car to pick up my car, I recorded a sentry mode footage to see how it looks, and I was surprised to see that it is not in full color... My husband's AP2.5 2018 Model X's cameras are all full color, so I was expecting to see that after the camera upgrade. Maybe most of you already know it won't be full color, but I didn't. I thought it would be full color like the backup camera, but instead, red looks orange, and blue shows actual blue now, previously blue was muted.
I asked the service advisor, he asked the tech, and the response is the cameras were indeed changed, he even showed me the cameras that were switched out, and since i wrapped my quarter panel cameras, I know he showed me my old cameras. The new side camera on the car is now back to silver casing color (note this means it is not the latest 2021 model S camera, as they are now with black casing). service advisor said the part numbers they put in is correct, there are certain part numbers they are allowed to use for the camera upgrade, and they couldn't use the latest camera's model numbers.

Hopefully this information is helpful for anyone with a 2017 or older Model S that is going to get the camera upgrade. I have gotten a lot of good information from the forum. Thanks you all for your contribution!
Visit this thread where you find much more info on the matter:

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200

In the first post for the thread others pointed you to is this google doc that has the part number for the correct cameras. Compare it to your invoice. There have been a few instances where they are installing the wrong front cameras and maybe others.

Google doc:
4E3pAPn.jpg

Thank you @ABC2D and @scottf200 ! Information you two provided is very helpful. Much appreciate it! I didn't read through the 80 pages of threads, just the spreadsheet and a couple of pages of the thread.

I checked the spreadsheet, and I have the right part numbers. Supposedly the same cameras are used up to Feb 2021 cars (someone linked tesla's parts catalog image in the spreadsheet, very helpful!); however on my May 2017 Model S with infotainment system upgrade, AP 3.0 and upgraded cameras, it is not showing full color. Just for people's awareness.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Reactions: scottf200