Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading AP cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the HW2.5 fender camera is a RGB camera?? RCCB? Such a new term to me.

We had cracked the image of the Fender cameras (part number: 1125106-00-C, 1125107-00-B) today, and the image color were all blue. So I guess that's RCCC camera (HW 2.0 camera)

So far we can confirm the part number of fender camera could give full color image (I am not sure if it is RGB, but I can see green color on the screen) are:
- 1125106-77-B
- 1125107-77-C
@BearBu -

the sensors are YUV, I believe, with color filters on top of them for RCCC (on 2.0 cars) and RCCB (on 2.5+ cars). Same sensor, different color filters. Message me on our WeChat channel and we can talk.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
@Akikiki congrats!

If you do swap your 2.0 RCCC cameras to 2.5 RCCB cameras, I'd like to hear about it. Thinking about the same idea myself.
latest I have:

MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (LH) 1125106-00-E

MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (RH)
1125107-00-E

First credit where due. Again, I thank @kdday for the idea to try AP2.5/3.0 repeater cameras.
And thanks to @appleguru for the correct part numbers so I knew what I was looking for.

My 2017 March built car has AP2.0 front, left and right repeater cameras that are AP2.0. On 17 July I installed a LH side AP 2.5/3.0 Repeater, Part # 1125106-00-E. The right side still has the original RH 1034345-99-A. Since the front has not changed, RH side represents the colors for the front. And the Rear, of course is the Rear original. I am showing rear clips simply to display the true colors.

Those of us upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2 on AP2.0 cars know that the colors are not a true as AP2.5/3.0 cars. I wanted test if AP2.0/3.0 repeaters would make any difference or even work. Looks like there is a significant improvement. It’s not the same as true rear color as rear. And I don’t know what AP3.0 cars look like. But it’s so much better than AP2.0, I am permanently changing my AP2.0 repeaters to AP2.5/3.0 repeaters. I’m not going to change the 3-camera front.

No adverse impact on Auto Pilot as I can tell. No messages, Autosteer worked. TACC worked. About 50% of these videos were on Auto Pilot 2020.28.2

Summary. Left side is AP2.5/3.0 repeater. Right side is AP2.0 repeater. Rear camera has not been not changed.
These were from TeslaCam. I made 18 each 45+ second TeslaCam videos during a short drive. There's three videos to a set. Left AP3.0 camera, Right (original) AP2.0 and original rear camera. This is six sets of three videos.
Links to the first three, and it should be easy to find the others

I bought the triple front facing, b-pillars and side repeater 2.5/3.0 cams since April 6th, but haven't had the courage to install them fearing they threw error messages. A ranger that came to my house to look at my wife's Model X told me that the b-pillar cams even need a firmware redeploy if disconnected from the car :confused:. I'll now take that with a grain of salt...

Awesome finding @Akikiki! Did you pull out the 12V power before swapping the side repeater?

@kdday Do you think the FSD computer is able to auto-detect RCCB feeds and make the camera swap "plug n play" without changing autopilotCameraType 2?

I see your point. I admit, this is going to be hard to swallow. But my package of the LH camera arrived about 11:00 am on Thursday. And I installed it. Then about 3 p.m., I got an OTA update notice. (No, I'm not saying it had anything to do with the new camera.) The Alert was to install 2020.28.2, so I let it. Installed without incident. Those video I posted today were after the OTA update.

I see your point. I admit, this is going to be hard to swallow. But my package of the LH camera arrived about 11:00 am on Thursday. And I installed it. Then about 3 p.m., I got an OTA update notice. (No, I'm not saying it had anything to do with the new camera.) The Alert was to install 2020.28.2, so I let it. Installed without incident. Those video I posted today were after the OTA update.
Appreciate it. Glad it worked. Going to go full monty and replace the rest of the cameras!?

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Appreciate it. Glad it worked. Going to go full monty and replace the rest of the cameras!?
The ones that I was most concerned about are simply the two repeaters. They are the ones that TeslaCam/Sentry uses that would be nice to have better quality. Wait a minute that's not quite accurate is it? No, its not. There's also the three-camera front unit. Even if it wasn't $500, it too much risk for me to try and install, so no to it. And the B Pillar don't send video to TeslaCam/Sentry so, I will skip them too.

So, no, will not do all. I would like to have the front, but won't try. Yes, to the two repeaters. And I will have the old ones. If something pops up that adversely impacts FSD or AP or something I don't see today, I can go back to the old ones.

I guess you already know. You can put the car in drive with the rear camera view up. Then press Park Assist and it brings up the car image. You can swipe and open the repeater views while you drive. You fill the screen with car and cameras, but its useful for side view like blind spot. So now that Tesla has given us side repeater views maybe they will expand it so we don't need to bring up Park Assist.

In the meantime, I prepared a New Idea at Tesla Ideas, asking them to do so. Maybe others will see it and vote for it. Anybody else posted a New Idea there?

Yesterday, I replaced my RH side Repeater, the difference in the camera is remarkable. For those tuning in late. My MCU2 upgraded S with AP2.0 now has AP3.0 side cameras. The difference for live view and TeslaCam/Sentry is remarkably better color.

I looked up the AP2.5/3.0 Lamp - Repeater assembly part number for 3.0 from the parts catalog. I think the price is about $130 each and worth it. I used those part numbers and found a LH Part # 1125106-00-E and RH Part # 1125107-00-E sides on eBay for $65.00 each. Takes about 15 minutes total time to swap them out. Plug and play. Check out Camera Upgrade | TeslaTap camera article for more info and how to do it. Well worth the swap if you are using AP2.0 cameras on your car. Wow.

The basic part number for AP 3.0 Lamp & Repeater Assembly is # 1125106-xx-x and Part # 1125107-xx-x. I've seen versions with -77- and -99-, and A - E. I can't explain the difference. I got what the parts catalog showed as current.

Now we return you to our stock watch.

Last edited:
Yesterday, I replaced my RH side Repeater, the difference in the camera is remarkable. For those tuning in late.
My MCU2 upgraded S with AP2.0 now has AP3.0 side cameras. The difference for live view and TeslaCam/Sentry is remarkably better color.

I looked up the AP2.5/3.0 Lamp - Repeater assembly part number for 3.0 from the parts catalog. I think the price is about $130 each and worth it. I used those part numbers and found a LH Part # 1125106-00-E and RH Part # 1125107-00-E sides on eBay for $65.00 each. Takes about 15 minutes total time to swap them out. Plug and play. Check out Teslatap.com camera article for more info and how to do it. Well worth the swap if you are using AP2.0 cameras on your car. Wow.

The basic part number for AP 3.0 Lamp & Repeater Assembly is # 1125106-xx-x and Part # 1125107-xx-x. I've seen versions with -77- and -99-, and A - E. I can't explain the difference. I got what the parts catalog showed as current.

Now we return you to our stock watch.
Parts already ordered. Thanks for your efforts! :) We went with the -00-E versions since they are newest and 00 seems to correspond to S/X while 77 seems to correspond with the 3. Maybe 99 is the black Model Y version?

We couldn't find any 00-E versions on eBay so we just ordered them directly from Tesla.

Reactions: Akikiki
Any insight into this?

If you have MCU1, we do not recommend this upgrade. The recording quality is rather poor already, and new cameras are not going to help that. It is most useful when you have also done the MCU2 upgrade, where it can reliably record the video.

why does the MCU matter? If you have AP3 (with MCU1) then you get the repeater cameras for dashcam.

Hmmm, Maybe trim colors or blacked out? Good catch.

-77 looks like the black one for the model 3 based on EPC and ebay pics. -99 looks like chrome.. claimed to be for model 3 or X on ebay but not seeing it in the EPC. May have been superseded by the -00

I found a new right side 00-E on ebay for $75, couldn't find the left. Texted my local SC manager, they've got the left in stock. Charged my Amex, he was on his way to lunch, so he dropped it off at my house. Seems that most people have terrible stories with SCs, I feel like I won the lottery with mine. He recommends recalibrating the autopilot cameras after swapping them, so i'll do that once I get them both in.

Reactions: KyleDay
-77 looks like the black one for the model 3 based on EPC and ebay pics. -99 looks like chrome.. claimed to be for model 3 or X on ebay but not seeing it in the EPC. May have been superseded by the -00

I found a new right side 00-E on ebay for $75, couldn't find the left. Texted my local SC manager, they've got the left in stock. Charged my Amex, he was on his way to lunch, so he dropped it off at my house. Seems that most people have terrible stories with SCs, I feel like I won the lottery with mine. He recommends recalibrating the autopilot cameras after swapping them, so i'll do that once I get them both in.
How will you recalibrate thr cameras?