Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading to a larger capacity battery, is it possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Ive been thinking about this all day, rather than buying out my P90D at the end of the lease, I should return it and purchase a P85+

Then an idea crossed my mind, would tesla allow me to upgrade my battery to a 100kwh battery that I will buy from a wrecked 100D, so not an official upgrade through tesla but rather me changing out the battery for a higher capacity one

Anyone here know if that’s technically possible?

Reactions: Lucky_Man
I am not positive but It will most definitely not have ludicrous mode and a quick vin check will reveal that it is in fact still a 90. Really curious on how that would play out for resale value.
I doubt that resale value is an issue for someone making an investment to keep their existing car. Quite likely the intention is to keep it indefinitely. An issue might be more recovering the cost in insurance replacement value if it were totaled.

• Informative
Reactions: Lucky_Man and AMPd
Then an idea crossed my mind, would tesla allow me to upgrade my battery to a 100kwh battery
It would seem to me that Tesla will have to offer some form of battery replacement/upgrade at some point once batteries start seeing less than about 60% of their original range. If not this would pretty much be a death knell for EV's in general. Who would want to buy a car that could not have it's powerplant replaced/refreshed?

But of course this does not help you in this current dilemma.