Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upset that Tesla screwed customers who took delivery in the last few months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad Tesla day. My 4 month old MYLR just took a huge depreciation hit thanks to todays big price reduction. Second, FSD capability is why i bought a Tesla. Just watched Out of Spec Dave’s YouTube FSD review and I see how terrible it really is, on par with Autosummon. I am glad I didn’t waste $200 for a months trial. I really don’t understand why it looks so good on other FSD videos. Hell, I am unhappy with basic autopilot, basic ADAS capabilities, and I miss features I can’t get on a Tesla thinking the aforementioned items would make it worthwhile. Meanwhile, I have a car I am overall unhappy with that is worth tremendously less than what I paid for it. All this after waiting almost a year for delivery (11/21-9/22). FWIW, a new MYLR is approx $13,000 less than I paid for mine after Fed $7500 and less sales tax are accounted for.
Love how a coupon can change one’s overall opinion so quickly. Looking at your Pre-Coupon posts you Loved the car, service was great, and were very happy. Future coupon, I am unhappy and hate my car lol.

I understand the sentiment, but you did just fine. You bought the car at a price that was acceptable to you at the time of purchase.

This current pricing is very much temporary and is opportunistic: tesla has a very small window of time to be eligible for federal tax credits again (jan->march). But to do so they have to sell (most models) for less than $55k.
What happens after March?

I get it. It sucks but it is what it is. I don't play the stock market but I imagine that sucks too when your timing is off because you can't predict the future and have no insider trading buds. Even your Aussie friend won't send you tomorrow's winning lottery numbers. Some friend eh?

I waited five months for delivery and watched the prices go up and then saw used Teslas selling for way more than new. I could have made 20k selling mine as soon as I got it. Made me wish I had ordered three of them. Now I could order the same configuration for 6k less than I paid.

I have made peace with it partly because I got a perfect specimen that has been virtually flawless since day one. Normally, when you buy a new car, you lose thousands on it as soon as you drive it off the lot. We know this and we do it anyway.

Would I do it again knowing this was the future? Yeah I would. The fulfillment process was a clown act but that was just the opener for the magic show. I am really enjoying the magic show.

Got my MY LR 16 days ago... I thought was a smart move getting the $7,500 discount plus the 10k supercharger miles. Now I have that bitter taste as many. At least from the information I had at the time, would not have guessed they will lower the price that much. Sad, but well.. another day..

1673640661194.png

Sure are a lot of post here from people who bought model MYs more than a year ago telling people who bought em in the last few month how they should feel about their bad luck. I was fortunate and bought my vehicle in Jan ‘21, but I can certainly see how someone who bought the car recently would be pissed. Buying a MY in the last year has seemed like Russian roulette; you never know if the price is right, what new features are gonna be added right after you buy, what features will be deleted right before you take delivery, or how long it will really take to get the vehicle. I love my vehicle but as for the company and it leadership; just absolutely incompetent.

Legacy automakers have model years with fixed features and MSRPs. The dealer network allows for an organic mechanism for the market to determine the final price. Supply demand and all of the other usual suspects come to bear on the prices that the consumer eventually pays. Tesla’s products are price fixed with no relation to the market. Tesla is great at engineering but awful at retail; that leads to these types of FUBARs. This is a mark to market move resulting from incompetent corporate governance.

Legacy automakers have model years with fixed features and MSRPs. The dealer network allows for an organic mechanism for the market to determine the final price. Supply demand and all of the other usual suspects come to bear on the prices that the consumer eventually pays. Tesla’s products are price fixed with no relation to the market. Tesla is great at engineering but awful at retail; that leads to these types of FUBARs. This is a mark to market move resulting from incompetent corporate governance.
Tesla is awful at retail, and yet they sold millions of cars while others sell 10k-20k ish.

Last edited:
Reactions: WyoDude and DanDi58
Tesla is awful at retail, and yet they sold millions of cars while others sell $10k-$20k ish.
What? How many units are $10K. Tesla had a head start because of their advanced engineering prowess. Like many innovators before them their inability to manage their business will be their demise. They’ve already been lapped in China and legacy auto brands like VW are poised to eat their lunch here in the US.

I bought my Tesla literally a couple weeks before they increased the battery, added the heat pump, and a few other new features. It's how it goes. I was going to wait a couple months before I bought my car, but got impatient and voila. Still love my car. Do I wish I had some of the stuff I literally missed by a couple weeks? Sure! But you buy when you buy…I've been seeing posts like this for decades (yes, I've been on the internet since early 90s).

What? How many units are $10K. Tesla had a head start because of their advanced engineering prowess. Like many innovators before them their inability to manage their business will be their demise. They’ve already been lapped in China and legacy auto brands like VW are poised to eat their lunch here in the US.
Oops. sorry. I was writing multiple posts at the same time! LOL

with ID4? LOL
They have a half a dozen models coming out in the next few years, and unlike a lot of legacy makers they’re spending billions to build their EV manufacturing capability from the ground up instead of re-purposing older plants. They’re also investing billions in fast chargers through their partnership with chargepoint which will challenge Tesla’s biggest advantage; the supercharger network.

Status
Not open for further replies.