Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA MY RWD has soft limited LR battery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did some calculation of my MY RWD battery capacity based on the Energy app data. At 77% battery, it showed a projected range of 239 miles based on the average of 223 Wh/mi.

At 100% battery, the range would be 310 miles.
223 * 310 = 69.216 kWh.

Any thoughts?
I did the calculation the same way.
at 51% soc, projected 137miles with average 262wh/mile.
137/0.51*262=70.38kwh

it looks like the usable battery size is around 70KWH.

Reactions: ven7782
Interesting.

I don’t really see how that would work though - I think it’s a safe assumption that Tesla sells many many more LRs and RWDs than Performance models so “averaging out” wouldn’t seem to work in this case.

My assumption has been that the loophole was “manufacturing” the packs in the US with loose cells from China. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Maybe both.

I don’t really see how that would work though - I think it’s a safe assumption that Tesla sells many many more LRs and RWDs than Performance models so “averaging out” wouldn’t seem to work in this case.

My assumption has been that the loophole was “manufacturing” the packs in the US with loose cells from China. 🤷🏼‍♂️
It doesn't matter where the cells come from, it matters where the minerals that go into the cells came from. And they just had to meet the minimums; that are 30%, or 40% I don't recall exactly, for 2023. If the minerals in the LR pack are 100% from "good" countries that offsets a lot of minerals sourced from the "bad" countries.

Reactions: Patrick_TX
I'm also seeing the same. When I bought mine two weeks ago, it was full of RWDs and now it's just two demo vehicles
Usual end of the quarter and end of the year stuff. They blow out the inventory and wait for new shipments next quarter.

Tesla does not seem to keep the factories at a steady pace throughout the year. Factories shut or slow down at the end of the quarter for maintenance or upgrades. Production ramps up again next quarter. Rinse and repeat.

Curious how battery degradation would occur with software locked battery? say after 1 yr...2% loss.. would it show 260 *.98 = decrease in software locked range to 254.8? would it base on entire battery degradation? And how would warranty even work.. with software lock.. would they just remove software lock to get it over 70%. I did pull trigger on rwd and picking it up saturday :)

if this is the same battery pack in M3 LR, why won't MY RWD lose $7500 tax credit as M3 LR?
It certainly will if that’s true.
Didn’t the M3 LR get switched to LFP? It was not able to be ordered for many months and was undergoing a swap to LFP which is why SR and LR are now not eligible. And it has the same range as the MY LR which is a drop from the range before it disappeared. All 2170 cells produced in Reno were going to LR MY and M3P/MYP.

If the above is true, then what we likely have here is a way to meter out all the leftover 2170 M3 LR packs since they don’t have enough power to go into the LR MY. Once they are used up, the SR will disappear again.

Didn’t the M3 LR get switched to LFP? It was not able to be ordered for many months and was undergoing a swap to LFP which is why SR and LR are now not eligible. And it has the same range as the MY LR which is a drop from the range before it disappeared. All 2170 cells produced in Reno were going to LR MY and M3P/MYP.

If the above is true, then what we likely have here is a way to meter out all the leftover 2170 M3 LR packs since they don’t have enough power to go into the LR MY. Once they are used up, the SR will disappear again.
No. There are zero Tesla LR cars worldwide with LFP battery. There’s simply not enough energy with LFP to provide the range for LR.

The 2023 Model 3 LR is using LG 2170 cells, same cells that have been used in European Teslas for a few years now.

No. There are zero Tesla LR cars worldwide with LFP battery. There’s simply not enough energy with LFP to provide the range for LR.

The 2023 Model 3 LR is using LG 2170 cells, same cells that have been used in European Teslas for a few years now.
It was just a thing. So why did range drop from 354 to 333? Smaller pack? Just trying to make sense of they’d software limit M3 packs and not use MY packs.

It was just a thing. So why did range drop from 354 to 333? Smaller pack?

Just trying to make sense of they’d software limit M3 packs and not use MY packs.
No, they did not.

The LG pack is ~ 4% smaller than the panasonic 2170L.

The rest of the range decrease we need to wait until (if) we get to see the EPA test data.

Tesla inventory website MY RWD is gone. The RWD filter has been removed.
IRS updated rule only listed MY RWD 2024 can get 7500 tax credit. All other eligible tesla models show eligibility for 2023-2024 models.

Can anyone explain what's going on?

Last edited: