TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

USA Solar Import Tariffs

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by Skotty, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Beware possible increase in solar panel prices.

Uncertainty Grips Solar as Industry Awaits Trump's Tariff Ruling

My wife and I are thinking of moving our solar install up to this fall instead of next spring as originally planned to make sure we don't get bitten by this.

If it were up to me, if a fair case could be made that foreign countries were subsidizing their solar to get a leg up on American manufacturers, I would simply subsidize American manufacturers by a similar amount. Promote solar! But our administration is more interested in bringing back coal. Solar is only good for walls.

• Like x 1
  2. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

#2 hockeythug, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    I get what you are saying about fighting fire with fire but price dumping, which what is happening, is illegal. Is better to handle it through the proper channels.

3. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Why not take all those coal employees and have them manufacture solar panels right here in the good old USA!

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

#4 SageBrush, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    While the anti Alt-energy forces in the US worked very hard to torpedo a domestic industry. Remember all the political ink spilled with regards to Solyndra as part of a lobby to hinder further federal support of new technology ? Have we forgotten the mountain of domestic propaganda against PV, how it was too expensive and failed technology ? How about the incessant propaganda against CSP and plants like Ivanpah ?

China has had its share of failed PV companies too, but they kept on supporting the nascent industry via cheap money and domestic demand.

It is easy to blame the Chinese, but the US handed them the PV industry on a silver platter. Germany has a much better gripe; the Americans are just engaged in a cover-up of their short-sightedness, and now an attempt to prop up fossil fuels through trade barriers.

Trump gets to pick now between jobs and coal.

5. McRat

McRat Active Member

China is not our friend. They know that solar PV production will be a large industry with solid profits.

So if they have to destroy US production to dominate it, and it cost them $50 billion to do it, it's a bargain in the long run.

Remember that when you have a system that permits dumping, the consumer pays more in the long run. Any doubt? Look at the price of Japanese Motorcycles after the dumping was outlawed. They cost what other nation's bikes do, and as much as small cars in the US.