Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USAA doubled premium!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the pandemic, underwriters ran into the red on their books, which they have not seen before, and they increase their rates. There may be multiple factors involved, lowered premiums during the pandemic, people dropping out completely, inflation on parts and models, and EVs tend to be written off easily ...
I don't know about the red part ;)

Auto Insurers Reaped Nearly $30 Billion Pandemic Windfall Profit in 2020 as State Insurance Regulators Fail to Protect Consumers

Insurers selling personal auto insurance reaped windfall profits of at least $29 billion in 2020 as miles driven, vehicle crashes and auto insurance claims dropped because of the pandemic and related government actions. Analyzing insurers’ 2020 premium and claims results – and the limited “premium relief” offered by insurers – the Consumer Federation of America (CFA) and Center for Economic Justice (CEJ) show that insurers collected $42 billion in excess premiums while providing only $13 billion in “premium relief.”[1]

Instead of returning the COVID windfall to consumers, insurers increased payouts to senior management and stockholders.

I don't know about the red part ;)

Auto Insurers Reaped Nearly $30 Billion Pandemic Windfall Profit in 2020 as State Insurance Regulators Fail to Protect Consumers
There are always then and now. In some markets, Geico raised like 50% ...

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Half tempted to just go liability + uninsured motorist. In 40 years of driving I've utilized less than $2K in comp or collision claims. $1000 comp deductibles have resulted in me always paying out of pocket for cracked windshields.

Out of all the 20+ years that I've been driving, I used State Farm, Liberty Mutual, Progressive, Ameriprise, Travelers, Geico. I have never encountered any problems.

Sure, you may read stories of negativity here and there, but, trust your judgement. I've heard people here talk negative about Geico. It could be their encounter with the agent. I never had any problems myself when I filed a claim. But, best of luck. If you're happy with USAA, you can continue using them.

I also have to say, the people who works at these call centers for these insurance agencies, they rotate every few years or so to other jobs. You may not get the same one when you deal with them later.

AAA gave me a quote of $4400 / year provided I bring my homeowners back. That's their multi policy discount. It's more than USAAs jacked up premium of $4200 / year for all 4 of my cars.
My USAA rate is $2828 for two Teslas. I have several other policies with them as well. Do you ever consider the annual rebate or are you not eligible for that?

Have no idea what that is.
I qualify as a member of USAA having served in the military. USAA is member owned , a reciprocal company. They cannot issue stock so they finance in other ways like through earnings. One way they manage capital is through Subscriber Savings Accounts. So every year they (usually) deposit money in excess of their capital requirements in these accounts. The amount deposited is based on lots of additional factors including how many accounts and how much I've paid in premiums. For those of us who have been around a long time they give a senior bonus as well. Consequently, I count those distributions against the premiums I pay.

I qualify as a member of USAA having served in the military. USAA is member owned , a reciprocal company. They cannot issue stock so they finance in other ways like through earnings. One way they manage capital is through Subscriber Savings Accounts. So every year they (usually) deposit money in excess of their capital requirements in these accounts. The amount deposited is based on lots of additional factors including how many accounts and how much I've paid in premiums. For those of us who have been around a long time they give a senior bonus as well. Consequently, I count those distributions against the premiums I pay.

Does that only count for members that served in the military or does it extend to their children. I qualified for USAA because my father served in the Air Force.

Telsa Insurance is alright...until you have to use it. I filed a simple claim that was something that Tesla service could fix. However, as soon as Tesla service found out that I had Tesla Insurance they cancelled my appointment with a note that they are not allowed to do work for Telsa insurance. I was then texted instructions from Tesla Insurance that I needed to find a third party repair center, get an estimate, and then send that to Tesla Insurance. In the meantime, I was told that I would be contacted by an agent after they reviewed my initial claim. I never heard back, multiple text messages went unanswered, and I finally gave up, resubmitted a service ticket and paid myself. Later on, I called to update my address with Telsa Insurance, and the agent said that they severely understaffed and he had to submit a request on my behalf to cancel my claim. It had sat untouched for more than 3 months and was still open and waiting on the agent to contact me.

I will be dropping Telsa Insurance when I trade in/sell my Model 3 and take delivery of my MXP that is on order. And based on how stellar the service I received in the past from USAA was, I will be going back to them for the insurance on the MXP irregardless of whether it is more than Tesla Insurance or not.

To cmaster's point - I'm afraid Telsa insurance is the exception to the rule. Their customer service wasn't just poor, it was horrible.