Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USAA doubled premium!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Just got my renewal from USAA. The premium on my X literally doubled. I thought it was a mistake and that they were putting the full year premium in the 6 month bill.
I have no accidents or claims in the last 7 years. Went to USAA 2 years ago because AAA increased my S premium by 30% and USAA offered me a quote for nearly exactly what AAA had been pre-increase.

I called them and they said it was due to repair costs. Did repair costs double in the last 6 months for the X? Aren't the replacement costs considerably lower now on a totaled vehicle given the 30% price reductions?

Anyways, back to shopping around and maybe back to AAA if I can get my multi year loyalty restored after leaving them 2 years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
I have USAA and a Model X. How much are you being charged every 6 months? My policy with them is cheaper than with Progressive and about the same as Tesla insurance quote. My policy has way more coverage too. I thought was expensive at first then started looking around and find it to be great pricing and way better coverage. Interested to hear how much you pay every 6 months

Have been with USAA for 20+ years and have a Model Y and 3, but insure them with Tesla.

For us, USAA has been cheaper nearly all of the time compared to other insurers for similar home or auto insurance, but not for auto-insurance for our Teslas. We just renewed auto-insurance and are still getting better coverage with Tesla for less $.

Have been with USAA for 20+ years and have a Model Y and 3, but insure them with Tesla.

For us, USAA has been cheaper nearly all of the time compared to other insurers for similar home or auto insurance, but not for auto-insurance for our Teslas. We just renewed auto-insurance and are still getting better coverage with Tesla for less $.
How do you get to a live person with Tesla insurance? Horrible customer service. Did you compare apples to apples on comp collision and unified motorist bodily injury amounts paid with USAA vs TESLA? I can't get a live person to even get a clear quote. I can't imagine what would happen if I had a actual claim.

How do you get to a live person with Tesla insurance? Horrible customer service. Did you compare apples to apples on comp collision and unified motorist bodily injury amounts paid with USAA vs TESLA? I can't get a live person to even get a clear quote. I can't imagine what would happen if I had a actual claim.
I don’t remember the number I called but I did speak to a rep when I got the initial policy but not since. Online says you can call 1-844-34-TESLA but unsure how painful that is these days to get through or how long the wait is or what hours they are open. IIRC, it was surprisingly not too long to get ahold of someone per Tesla standards.

Yes, apples-to-apples across all items (deductibles for collision, comprehensive, bodily injury, property damage, uninsured motorist, etc). I played with the USAA app to match everything last week and 6 month premium was about $300 more with USAA.

I have been holding for over an hour daily and no live person ever comes on. I would be so scared to have their insurance if I had a claim. Not sure they would have my back. Thanks for the feedback. $300 more is worth it to save this headache. Seriously they have gotten horrible with customer service. Hope you don't experience any of the bad stuff I am reading about online.

• Informative
I had this happen with my homeowners insurance this past year - jumped from $1200 to $3000. No reason in particular.

If you dont drive a ton, or your driving is variable, check out Metromile. You pay a base monthly fee (I think mine is $18), and then per mile. I spend something like $35-45 per month.

Just do a different insurer. Rotate to other providers. My full coverage only costs $500 for 6 months. A Tesla car repair costs is no different than a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc...

When that coverage jump again, just rotate to a different provider. Seems like I have to rotate back every couple of years. The insurance quote usually comes back down over time.

I have USAA and a Model X. How much are you being charged every 6 months? My policy with them is cheaper than with Progressive and about the same as Tesla insurance quote. My policy has way more coverage too. I thought was expensive at first then started looking around and find it to be great pricing and way better coverage. Interested to hear how much you pay every 6 months

It just went from $760 to $1259 every six months.

Just do a different insurer. Rotate to other providers. My full coverage only costs $500 for 6 months. A Tesla car repair costs is no different than a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc...

When that coverage jump again, just rotate to a different provider. Seems like I have to rotate back every couple of years. The insurance quote usually comes back down over time.

Who are you using for your insurer?

How much are you paying?

I have been with USAA since the '70's: auto, home, rental property. Since moving to FL from OH my rates almost doubled. Perhaps since FL has such aggressive liability lawyers.
Two years ago someone hit me while they were making an ill advised, if not illegal left turn across 3 lanes of north bound traffic to head south. I could see it coming and had stopped, sounded my horn repeatedly, and, or course yelled at the top of my lungs for the idiot to stop (this did not work by the way). Dash cam showed to the police. We were not at fault, blah, blah, blah. Took off the front left of the car and damaged cooling system but the repair shop had it back on the road in about 6 or 7 weeks (don't you just love to read about wait times for Tesla repairs)? Two years later and I'm served in a lawsuit by the idiot who hit me claiming severe injuries from his 2mph scrape across my front end. USAA assigned a lawyer and walked me through a 6 month process of legal wrangling. Sadly, USAA settled on my behalf, as it was way less expensive than going to court. My USAA lawyer really wanted to try the case as it was a slam dunk. Still cheaper settling.
While I suppose this is slightly off the "cost to repair" theme, having USAA (rather than "Who ya gonna call at Tesla insurance?" Maybe they, too have an app) was worth it for me. Just a thought when shopping insurance.

I think believing that parts costs is a misnomer that insurance providers use it to calculate their rates. There are countless cars more expensive than a Tesla, yet, still have lower cost insurance. Many new Tesla owners, and those who don't know anything about Tesla would think insuring Tesla cars is expensive. That is not true.

Insurer uses many metrics to give you a quote. Metrics such a moving violation (i.e speeding tickets), previous accidents (at fault or not at fault), the city/town/state, rate at which people encounters accidents in the location, highway vicinity, repair shop, etc....so many things contribute to the rates.

BMW, AUDI, LEXUS, GMC, MERCEDES etc...have components that are a lot more expensive than a Tesla, and they can sometimes get higher rates than Tesla owners. And sometimes, they can lower costs than Tesla owners. So, it's not about how expensive the replacement costs are.

• Helpful
After the pandemic, underwriters ran into the red on their books, which they have not seen before, and they increase their rates. There may be multiple factors involved, lowered premiums during the pandemic, people dropping out completely, inflation on parts and models, and EVs tend to be written off easily ... Lots of insurance started to use telematics to ease the cost slightly but CA doesn't allow that, so it won't help. I found in these days it is hard to find a good insurance company, either you pay more for premium service and have no problem in claiming, pay less for poorer service and problematic claims, or somewhere in between. I expect the premium will continue to rise.

I'm curious. Throughout my over 20+ years driving experience with a number of different insurance providers, I have never come across any poor customer service despite paying for a lower rate. I'm not exactly sure if I buy into the argument that paying less you get poor service.